BSMD/BSDO Applicants Undergrad and Medical School experiences

@srk2017
Agreed everything seems to be working well for your son, just as planned. By taking a bit “risk” a few years ago he is now being rewarded handsomely. congrats for the decision!

@GoldenRock
Here is a quick Google search about GAP year. I didn’t dig further about the topic. But per Srk2017, it seems as long as you work hard from beginning this shouldn’t be a “norm”?

Fact: Taking at least one gap year is the norm.
More than half (59.9 percent) of 2015 matriculating medical students indicated in the AAMC

@MDHopefulDad

There are 2 reasons.

1. Many of the posters kids in this forum (who have applied for BS/MD) programs are strong in academics / test taking and good planing and support from family and they have not had a need for gap year and they fall in the 40.1% you quoted above.
  2. The reason for the 59.9% is not about they are not good in academic. But more many decide about medicine career late in UG or even after graduating, and not planned well or couldn't manage both academic and EC, lastly at times would have gone in to deeper hole in GPA since took it easy or needed time to adjust from HS to UG.

Also, some take gap years just to have experiences not because they fell behind. I know two kids (went to Stanford and UCB) who got admission without gap year but decided to take different admission for one year to get real world experience. Some of the students who aim for T10 schools also take gap year or two to make their application strong. In our son’s case he doesn’t want gap years and whatever admission he will get he will take it.

@MDHopefulDad

60% of students taking gap year cannot alone be explained by any 1 reason - there are always multiple causes.

One big part of gap year is the college culture and peer pressure and the feeling of competitive disadvantage. Example ~80% of students from Duke or JHU take a gap - one questions why? Answer is culture - from year 1, the health advising office indicates you to plan for gap year.

Also note, 60% is the number of students who matriculate - if you add the actual number of students taking a gap year but not getting admitted - this number is high.
Example, 24% of UPenn students do NOT get into any medical school (even after 2 gap years).

Statistics suggest there is >60% chance your child will need to take a gap year or more if pursuing medicine via the traditional route. Yes, you child can work hard and be part of the <35% who make it without gap year. (Note about 5% come through the BS/MD route).

Yes, lot of schools (especially T20 schools) are encouraging gap year(s) since they like to see their students to matriculate to T20 medical schools. I know most parents are against gap years given that becoming a doctor takes very long time or some consider gap year as a failure, but fear of a gap shouldn’t be the deciding factor between BS/MD vs traditional path.

@MDHopefulDad

I agree with @GoldenRock analysis. As I said numerous times, if your C went to a competitive HS and at the top of the class without stressing too much and a good standardized test taker your C will do fine with traditional path as long as they stay focused from day one of college. That’s what I have noticed with all the premeds from my S’s HS and that’s what gave us the confidence. Those who took time to adjust to college may end up with a gap year or two (like my nephews) but they will still be fine if they are keen on going to medical school.

If your child is applying next cycle, I would encourage them to apply to few BS/MD programs if you are not sure about which path to take and assses at the end. It also comes down to how much your C (or you) invested in the medical related ECs. My S didn’t do lot of medical ECs due to age and also he was busy competing in various competitions and BS/MD wasn’t our main focus. so he mainly focused on T20 UGs and applied to very few BSMDs and gained valuable experience.

Since we are going into BSMD vs traditional path discussion, I have created a new thread.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2188137-bsmd-vs-traditional-path-p1.html?new=1

I would like to keep this thread for sharing college experiences of those who applied for BSMD programs only.

2020 traditional path session officially kicked off yesterday i.e. schools got access to the applications and started sending out secondaries.

@srk2017 best of luck to your son!

Will start posting periodically here as a way to keep myself accountable.

“First” semester update: Brown freshman aren’t starting until January, but we are allowed to take one class for free. Currently just doing that and research at my lab which is thankfully open. Not the fall I hoped for but trying to make the most out of the situation.

nice to hear back. Glad to hear you can continue your research. Looking forward to your future updates.

Wow, you are in Rhode Island just for doing research (You have been selected as a PLME student) away from home.

@grtd2010 Not in RI, doing research at same lab as high school.

DS received first acceptance (from an IS school), gap year risk is eliminated. Hoping for more As and additional interview invitations.

@srk2017 Well deserved Thanksgiving for him and the family. Enjoy the holidays. Best wishes for his medical career.

@GoldenRock - Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. How is your D doing at UTSW?

@srk2017 Time flies. Since UTSW is 1.5+2.5 split, she is done with her studies in few weeks and starting her rotation from Jan. So far she is doing well and enjoying.

Of course Covid creates twist and unknown for all. UTSW asking 2nd year student to take Step-1 in 4th semester with allocated time block, so that 3rd year students who got impacted will get priority to get the rotations done (priority-wise)

Congratulations on a CA medical school acceptance. Best wishes for his future career.

@srk2017 Congratulations to your son, a well deserved admission. For higher achievers in high school, gap year concerns are overblown as one can still get into 33% with proper planning and execution. Rooting for more As. :blush:. Its a perfect holiday time to celebrate.

@grtd2010 and @PPofEngrDr thank you very much. I will provide full report in March.

@srk2017 , congratulations to your family. Your Son’s experience is creating hope to lot of incoming students that they can still achieve their goal if they are determined.