Budget and Tenure Concerns

Hello,
I am an incoming freshman at UW-Madison. I am out of state. More recently I have been concerned about the growing pressures on UW-Madison such as tenure and budget issues. It concerns me that many top faculty may be gone by the time I am on campus and my quality of education may be compromised. Additionally due to the budget cuts I am concerned that many resources will no longer be available.

I have heard a lot from both sides of this issue. An alarming amount of Wisconsin residents believe that it’s beneficial to cut the budget and cut out the “inefficiencies” from the school. Is it possible that there will be more systematic attacks like this on the school and school system? I have not seen much discussion on these issues on here and I would like to gather some perspectives from those who may know more about it.

Thanks,
A Concerned Incoming Student

What specific resources are you concerned about disappearing?

No resources in particular. I’ll be majoring in computer science. My concern is that there are valuable resources that I am unaware that will now no longer be available.

For computer science, frankly, I doubt it.
I truly doubt Comp Sci will be impacted that much for undergrad (in fact, I remember the course offerings being similar to previous years for this year).
That being said, do expect your tuition to go up rapidly every year. Three thousand next year (i believe?), and two thousand the next two years after that.

Comp Sci is wayyy too popular to be hugely impacted in UW-Madison. Considering the Intro classes like CS302 has over 500 students… I highly doubt they are just going to shut down a department that is the reason for many OOS and Internationals ^^

To be fair, I don’t think the OP is concerned the department is going to vanish. But rather that the high-quality faculty will start to trickle away. This is a reasonable concern with tenure being stuck from state law.

That is correct @wroblewskij. I still have the ability to accept spring admission at UMD by November 15. Tuition is increasing there also, but it seems that they actually are putting a significant amount of money into their program. I believe that Wisconsin has the better program currently, but I am unable to tell if Wisconsin’s program will remain strong among the various attacks on the UW system by Walker and the likes of him.

CS is one area where you dont really worry about tenure as you dont do controversial type research. Most of the worried people are in sociology and the like. That dept could use some cutting anyway IMHO. .
They (UW Madison) did get a $50 Million donation this week Life goes on.

http://m.host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/education/university/nicholas-family-gives-m-for-largest-ever-scholarship-gift-to/article_df0f843a-33d6-52e1-8bad-831bfe4e98e3.html?mobile_touch=true

I also share this concern. I’m going to be majoring in psychology & genetics, and I worry that eliminating tenure will decrease the quality of the education I get. If the good faculty members go elsewhere, won’t the quality of the university as a whole decrease?

Keep in mind that Gov Walker has been annoying and upsetting faculty for a number of years now, and some faculty who have been most upset have left already and have explained that the problems there were one of the reasons they accepted an outside offer. I think the negative consequences of the issues going on in WI would be felt in a decade or two and relatively less in the immediate future. Walker won’t be there forever.

Why wouldn’t they be felt in the immediate future? If the university loses important faculty members, won’t the quality of the classes be impacted right away? Sorry to question all this, but I just want to know what impact this would have on my education.

C55K22, your concerns are valid and well-founded. When you imagine what might happen in the UW system once the rules on tenure have been weakened, consider that the WI legislature has banned some state employees from discussing climate change or even using the words.
See, for example: http://www.politicususa.com/2015/04/10/koch-republican-state-bans-climate-change-discussion.html
Or that in in the next budget they just eliminated over half of the DNR(Dept. of Natural Resources) scientist positions, most involving work in areas Republicans consider unnecessary(psst! c-l-i-m-a-t-e c-h-a-n-g-e)
.:http://www.wisconsingazette.com/wisconsin/wisconsin-republicans-fire-dnr-scientists-working-on-research-related-to-climate-change-and-polllution.html

Many Republican legislators are deeply hostile to the university and its professors and mission, which they consider a liberal cesspool. Some of the notable fair-minded ones have retired due to the stress and fatigue and loss of any semblance of bipartisan work in government: http://wpt.org/Here_and_Now/dale-schultz-his-retirement-legislature. The employees of UW’s Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies must be feeling especially vulnerable. Ditto those in Atmospheric Studies Dept.

But others should worry also. Our Republican legislators often fret about professors working on ‘frivolous’ research, whether controversial or not. They pick some obscure projects which they don’t understand that seem laughable to them, to hold up as examples of the waste in higher education and the need to cut money. Instead of taking the broader view that the ability to do research unrestricted by ideology about practicality and political matters is just what leads to great work, great schools, and human progress. They are very narrow-minded and would happily come in and micromange to turn UW into a trade school. It’s hard to say just who will be targeted, but they are chomping at the bit to get started, you can be sure, and the result will be a diminished university.

WRT money, budgets have been cut for many years and that continues. This is accompanied by a tuition freeze so that there is no easy way to make up the lost money. Last year there was a cut to benefits to all employees that amounted to almost 10% of salary. No raises for many years, except for targeted high value employees. There are many small ‘loss of resources.’ Over the years, the level of cleaning and maintenance done on campus, inside and out, has deteriorated gradually as budgets are cut and cut.

There will be some attrition of faculty, though most are very attached to the place and it takes a lot to get them to move. More, it will be increasingly difficult to replace faculty who retire with equivalent caliber new hires as the university becomes a less welcoming and supportive place for professors to work.

We are in-state and my S15 chose to attend UW-Madison this fall. I encouraged him strongly to consider UMN-TC and other schools where he was accepted, that these days have more support and seemingly a brighter future than UW. I hope I am proved wrong in my pessimism and that things turn around. This uberconservative stranglehold on government cannot last forever. But as some have remarked already, it is much harder to rebuild what is torn down, than to maintain what you have in place already.

What is the chance this elimination of tenure doesn’t happen?

Tenure is not being eliminated. To most the changes are more semantic than real. Right now some faculty are overreacting driven by a few with their own agendas.The budget issues are more real. Madison needs to improve fundraising and change some priorities in current foundation spending. They got too caught up in the bricks and mortar race and now need to address human resources better. And as others have said–this to shall end. Walker has lost popularity over this and other issues. They won’t be around much longer. Odd thing is faculty turnover actually has been very low and declining under Walker until now. Many departments were making major senior hires and even rehiring some that had left for more money to schools like Stanford, Northwestern and Michigan.

http://budget.wisc.edu/budget-news/chancellor-blank-email-to-faculty-statement-on-tenure/

Also that “ban on discussing climate change” is a false claim.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2015/jun/16/forecast-facts/group-says-scott-walker-bans-employees-talking-abo/

Ok, I haven’t followed it closely, as a UW parent, but my understanding is that Walker and the legislature were successful in removing tenure protection from State law. The Board of Regents and UW itself can provide tenure protection in their own policies, comparable to a private institution such as Northwestern. What is lost is the fact the protection is statutory. In my mind, what makes me uncomfortable, is the proposal to allow tenured faculty to be dismissed when a program is being dismantled, as that could be used a as wedge to close “unpopular” academic centers/program. UNC is being pushed to close some progressive research centers which work on poverty issues, at the insistence of its Board of Regents. Public flagships are the scapegoats for certain governors and legislatures around the country. It is unfortunate that these superb institutions are having to defend their mission before the legislature.

^ @Midwestmomofboys, that is it exactly. Now faculty can be dismissed because of ‘program redirection.’ That is not mere semantics. It changes the whole meaning of tenure, even if the Board of Regents do provide it. Given that 2/3 of the Board was appointed by Walker, you can understand that people are less than confident of the Board’s intentions in these matters. Also the loss of shared governance means that the Board, not faculty, now have total control over curriculum and other aspects of how depts are run.

Blank is naturally trying to keep things calm and project confidence that she and others can work to limit the damage. That is her job. It doesn’t mean she is not concerned. She knows she probably cannot restore the situation to similar what was in place prior. Many legislators are very eager to destroy tenure and angry that the Board is proposing to try to keep as much of tenure as the law allows them to. I am not imagining what they may be thinking. Several have gone on record with their thoughts on the matter.

I’m going to be a psychology and genetics major, should I be worried about these departments being affected?

No. The final budget shows less than 1 % cut in funding overall and that is before applying any extra fundraising or other outside money. Not great but not a disaster. A few outspoken and also most often extremely liberal faculty might leave due to the tenure issue. Most dont care much.