Budget and things you would change

<p>feeno, I’m in agreement with you that it would be interesting to see UA wean itself off state support. I know that there are other universities that may be more financially able to wean themselves off state support, but UA is in a good position to do so. The State of Alabama seems to support anything that can save it money and such a change would allow UA more freedom in making spending decisions. As it stands though, I don’t see any chance of UA weaning itself off state support in the near future.</p>

<p>State schools that have weaned themselves off of state support have the highest instate tuition rates…so that’s not going to be desirable. Plus, those who’ve paid into pre-paid tuition plan are already having problems getting their tuition paid…it would be worse if Bama had to raise it’s tuition by going off state support.</p>

<p>For instance…Penn St gets little/no state support. It’s instate rate is around $15k…one of the highest (if not the highest) in the nation for a state school.</p>

<p>* I’d also like to students, particularly upperclassmen, have the option to live in coed suites/apartments*</p>

<p>Students already have that option…they can move right off campus and do this. </p>

<p>Universities don’t want to get involved with this because then they have to deal with the rearranging when couples break up. If someone wants to live with a person of the opp sex, then after frosh year, they can move right off campus. It’s not like there aren’t apts just as close as dorms…and many are cheaper than dorms.</p>

<p>Maybe the state support can go to ensuring the instate tuition is low. I should look up what the state pays for right now.</p>

<p>i was on board with coed suite sharing as platonic, non-romantic type living situations. i agree that off campus is an option, if that is the living arrangement that you want, but i thought the NMF students had to stay on campus to take advantage of the full scholarship. anyhow, i just know that my daughter is friends with a some very nice guys who i think would make great roommates and that is where i was coming from. i know her female suitemates are all scattering in the fall and the people that come to mind as great suitemates are all boys.</p>

<p>^The schools that already do this highly discourage couples from choosing to live together. I’d be open to having female roommates if such an option was available on campus. It’s not much different from living in a traditional dorm where males and females have single rooms on the same floor.</p>

<p>A big thanks to all who have replied. I’m glad to hear that there doesn’t seem to be any marked impact on educational quality such as faculty furloughs such as what a friend of mine experienced at Clemson or increased class sizes in the honors programs. I guess with my S and what seems to be many others getting Presidential Scholarships, hearing about the increased admits into the school and in the honors program, and budget issues in The States, I thought something had to give. I’m glad to hear that is not that case. </p>

<p>We’ll likely make a visit in February/March to check out what its like to be a microbiology major at Bama. Again, thank you.</p>