Budget and things you would change

<p>I’ve been reading the Bama threads and it is clear that it is an amazing school that has a lot to offer. What I’d like to know is what would you change about Bama if you could and how is the Alabama legislature financially treating the university? Thank you.</p>

<p>Hmmm…what would I change? </p>

<p>I would add bio med engineering.</p>

<p>as for the state funding…There have been small cuts in funding, but Bama has been able to manage that with more private funding and such. Bama does not have the budget problems that schools in other states are having. No way. Bama has the money to go ahead with it building plans.</p>

<p>Great question. I have been wondering the same thing. Is there not blow-back from taxpayers because of the number of OOS receiving so much merit aid?</p>

<p>agree with mom on the bio med.</p>

<p>UA gives out $23m/year (or something like that) in merit aid, which is a lot, but certainly a manageable percent of its budget</p>

<p>that said, it looks like tuition is going up in the state of alabama…in state tuition was $3500/semester in 2008 and now it’s $3950, a 13% increase (sounds gnarly, but california had a 32% increase over the same period and is planning to increase it again by another 8%)…i dont know about OOS trends for AL though</p>

<p>i think barring a sudden and massive catastrophe, those with tuition scholarships from UA will not have much to worry about</p>

<p>Merit aid comes from donors…not from taxpayers…so the taxpayers can’t complain.</p>

<p>Right now, UA is really trying to get federal grants. The Shelby Complex is being built thanks to federal monies.</p>

<p>Concerning state funding, I feel that Alabama should really improve its public K-12 education system so that students graduating from those school systems will be better qualified for post secondary education. I’d also like to see programs such as UA’s Early College expanded so that high school students can earn transferrable college credit and possibly earn an associate’s degree or fulfill core requirements during high school. This would likely necessitate expansion of online courses, which is something that could be done easily and at a low cost.</p>

<p>I would also like to see UA waive the OOS tuition charge during the summer and charge everyone the same rate. It is known that UA would like to increase its summer enrollment and such a policy could get students from other universities to attend UA for the summer and maybe get a few new transfer students at the same time. :)</p>

<p>I’m with Sea_tide on the waiving of OOS charges for tuition during the summer months. That is a huge deal with those students in the chem engineering major who must take that five-hour class during the summer months. At the same time, there are other students who would like to take an extra class or two so they can add another major or minor. The waiving of the OOS charge would help greatly.</p>

<p>*I would also like to see UA waive the OOS tuition charge during the summer and charge everyone the same rate. *</p>

<p>I totally agree with this!!! </p>

<p>However, bama would have to do some kind of “work around” for this because state law forbids this. That’s why Bama doesn’t “waive” OOS tuition for high stats…instead it gives scholarships. </p>

<p>So, Bama would have either have to award scholarships for OOS students for summer classes, or let them charge the credits towards their fall or spring semesters and let their regular scholarships pay for them (since you can take up to 20 credits)</p>

<p>Students wanting such a change should contact Dr. Judy Bonner (provost) and request this change. She’s very good about responding to emails.</p>

<p>Here are some thoughts from an alum: </p>

<p>Almost everything that I would change about UA is in the process of being changed. </p>

<p>Admissions Standards -
Several years ago, I would have said I wish the school would be more selective in its admissions process, but if you are rejecting 46 per cent of your applicants, AND you are a large state university, then how much more selective can you be? Actually, space limitations will force UA to become even more selective. Dr. Witt has said that freshman class size should not continue to increase, though Graduate enrollment will increase. Thus, I suspect we might see a 50 per cent rejection rate for this Fall’s applicant pool. </p>

<p>Campus Aesthetics -
All one has to do is walk around campus to see huge improvements, though the campus core has always been beautiful. The periphery of the campus has come a long way, but there is more to be done still. The West side of Bryant Denny needs a major clean up. Its bizarre to see such a gorgeous stadium next to those dingy apartments on the west side. </p>

<p>Also, I would like UA to go ahead and make the area behind the library a pedestrian plaza as is planned. I guess it has been delayed for financial reasons. </p>

<p>Remove the parking lot in front of HM Comer as well. Knock down Rose Towers (will be done in a year or two)</p>

<p>Continue to renovate or raze some of the structures built in the sixties and seventies, like Ten Hoor, which simply do not match the older or newer structures. </p>

<p>Greek System -
The UA administration needs to monitor campus SGA elections more closely. Not hating on the Greeks, but too many shady things have been known to happen. I used to think the Greek system at UA was more powerful than those at other campuses. At least in terms of the SEC, it is not. </p>

<p>Admin. should do more to encourage integration of at least one or two Frats or Sororities. Both White and Black Greek houses can be encouraged to integrate. </p>

<p>Academic Standards - </p>

<p>I think UA has room to increase the standards for the students already on campus. But UA’s standards are no more lax than any other SEC school. But I want UA to be the best.</p>

<p>However, bama would have to do some kind of “work around” for this because state law forbids this.</p>

<p>I’d like to read this law. If the only requirement is that OOS tuition has to be higher, UA could do what some universities do and charge an extra $5 per credit for OOS students. </p>

<p>Atlanta68, I agree with you about razing/renovating buildings such as Ten Hoor. I would also like to see BB Comer razed or majorly modified. Somewhat unfortunately, it is getting a new roof and some other exterior renovations while the interior remains the same. I will not take a language class or any other class that is held in BB Comer because I do not like the building. Gordon Palmer Hall is a palace in comparison.</p>

<p>

Alabama Code Title 16, Chapter 64, Section 4, Subsection a
(a) Each Alabama public institution of higher education shall charge each undergraduate student who is registered as a nonresident a minimum tuition of two times the resident tuition rate charged by that institution. This rate shall be effective for students who register at an institution beginning August 1, 1997. A nonresident graduate student at an institution shall be charged a rate of tuition that is at least at the level of tuition charged to a nonresident undergraduate.</p>

<p>Source: [Section</a> 16-64-4 Tuition rates for nonresident; extension of resident tuition rates to students residing in counties within 50 miles of campus. - Alabama Title 16 — EDUCATION. - 2009 Alabama Code :: Justia – US Laws, Codes, Statutes & Cases --](<a href=“http://law.justia.com/alabama/codes/2009/Title16/Chapter64/16-64-4.html]Section”>Section 16-64-4 Tuition rates for nonresident; extension of resident tuition rates to students residing in counties within 50 miles of campus. :: Chapter 64 — NONRESIDENT TUITION RATES FOR INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION. :: Title 16 — EDUCATION. :: 2009 Alabama Code :: Alabama Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia)</p>

<p>I would like to see a rec center, with an indoor pool, located closer to the dorms.</p>

<p>SEA_tide, I’m unsure how long it’s been since you’ve been there, but the interior of B.B. Comer has undergone extensive interior renovations.</p>

<p>^It’s been about a month. I’ll have to go see it in January.</p>

<p>Thank you for finding the text of that law, siglio. I’m surprised that the Trustees haven’t made OOS summer tuition exactly twice that of in-state tuition and found a way to circumvent the law to reduce it even further.</p>

<p>Upon further thought, I’d also like to students, particularly upperclassmen, have the option to live in coed suites/apartments. I know that some parents already freak out that male and female college students live in the same building, let alone on the same floor in suites right next to each other, but many students already live in a similar situation off campus and will most likely do so after graduation. If the super suites or certain on-campus apartments were used, no facility modifications would be needed and UA would be an innovator in its region. Such a change would also benefit the campus LGBT community and others by allowing males and females who would be great roommates for each other to live together on campus and keep any housing scholarship that they may have.</p>

<p>In B.B. Comer, the restrooms have been completely renovated, the classrooms have been refurbished, and the computer lab has been reconstructed from scratch. I don’t think this could have been accomplished in a month’s time.</p>

<p>Now, as for the original topic, I would like to see the university wean itself completely off state support, but it seems UA is well on its way to this. I wonder what the state support pays for?</p>

<p>I would like to see our student media organizations become independent of the university. It is a severe conflict of interest for the Crimson White and WVUA-FM to have to answer to the University.</p>

<p>^those are issues at every public college</p>

<p>i think the state pays for facilities maintenance usually and they probably partially subsidize in state tuition too</p>

<p>so many great suggestions for improvements here. i agree with SEA_tide on the upper classman coed super suites.</p>