Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

My daughter was accepted to SLO on 2/23 which was her top pick. She then got rejected by UCSB. Then, get this, she was accepted to UCLA for Aerospace. She was all settled in and ready to go to SLO. Now what? UCLA is just so big and busy. This is going to be a very hard decision.

5 Likes

Congrats, that is a very fun choice to have to make!

Cal Poly needs to seriously rethink their admissions process. My S21 is on the waitlist and is still hoping he can get admitted but heā€™s also making other plans, likely out of state. Best of luck to your daughter.

1 Like

Would choose UCLA in a heartbeat.

5 Likes

IMO SLO is a great school, but UCLA is a legendary school

2 Likes

Cal Poly rejected me today, but UCLA accepted. Everything works out after all.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a bunch of applicants accepted to both SLO and UCLA, bailing out on SLO, so Iā€™m betting your son gets off the WL.

1 Like

We sure hope so. We were wondering if they look at both his selected and alternate major. Not sure how they do that?

We are waiting on Design as well.

We are still waiting on design. So tough waitingā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, I think I saw someone else waiting on design too. Since portfolios were submitted later I guess responses will be too. Good luck!

2 Likes

Same with my daughter. The timing was perfect. No crying over that rejection. Crazy how it took them almost a month to send it.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Iā€™m super interested as to why.

I suggest joining the Cal Poly parents Facebook page (I think it is linked in this thread above) and look at past posts or create a new post about your D about trying to decide between both schools. There are quite a few parents who have a child at both schools and/or alumni of both schools and can provide insight. This topic has come up often over the years. The main difference is size and UCs are more about theory and research and Cal Poly is more hands on, ā€œLearn by Doingā€ motto.

1 Like

Three rejections today including SLO was harder on me than our son. At least he can move on with the choices he has and we get one more year at SLO with our daughter. Good luck to everyone! This has been an awful year for these kids. Hoping their college years get back to normal.

10 Likes

@Seabass927 Agree. It comes across as they are yanking the kids around emotionally and for what? They have an enrollment model. They have the server and database capacity to send out decisions all at the same time (itā€™s STEM-heavy school, for goodness sakes). It shouldnā€™t have to take this long. Iā€™m irked for these kids and my son got into great UCs. I canā€™t believe there are kids that were still in pending review almost a month after waves of decisions were already sent out. These first moment of truth mean something to many. I got one more kiddo left in the pipeline but we are done with SLO. It didnā€™t have to be this way for these kids. Not after the hell of a year theyā€™ve had to tolerate.

7 Likes

Nope :frowning:

We too are still waiting on graphic design which is in the school of art and design. Havenā€™t seen any admits yet We will post as soon as we hear

2 Likes

My S21 was waitlisted for communications at SLO. If he gets off the waitlist, does anyone know if he will get an email to check his portal or does he need to check frequently?

He got into UCSC, UCR, UCM, CSULB, SJSU, Biola with $19k Merit Scholarship.

Waitlist: SLO, UCD, SDSU,

Denied: UCI, UCSB, UCSD

GPA weighted: 3.9
Eagle Scout, lots of EC