Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Congratulations to everyone who got into SLO, UCLA and all the other schools! My son, in state, 4.1WGPA and 3.8 unweighted, sport, job and has his own photography business, didn’t get in to any of the CA schools he applied to.
Waitlisted at Davis and Santa Cruz. Denied at UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, SDSU and SLO. I agree with the other poster who said she is taking it harder than her son. It took everything in me, and I had to go outside do some “gardening” last night, to not start crying in front of him. He’s taking it better than I am for sure. It’s just hard to see your kid work hard for years and not be able to get into a school in their own state. Even if it was expected, the disappointment is still there. I wish SLO would change their admissions roll out. It’s plain cruel. I could rant for a while but I’ll stop. I need to now switch gears and focus on the couple OOS options he has. Good luck to everyone with making their decisions! Soon this will all be over and you’ll be super excited about where you’ve landed! Take care!

15 Likes

My son finally received the rejection letter for computer science. Gumbymom was correct. The last batch is always rejection. She also mentioned in the other topic that the acceptance rate for CS is 5-6%. It’s tough.

But I still don’t understand why my son did not even get waitlisted. He applied for CS with his friend from his high school. His friend with lower GPA was waitlisted. My son with higher GPA was rejected. Why?

2 Likes

It is a tough year for our seniors. No rhyme or reason to anything. They definitely have taken the brunt of this pandemic. Horrible senior year, more applicants than ever and the goal post changed mid application for them. I believe everyone goes where they are meant to go. This doesn’t define you or your wonderful son :heart::heart::heart: Here’s to a bright future for these kids!

6 Likes

Hate this kind of randomness, and it happened to me in another university that I thought was a sure thing. Keep in mind that your application is read by temp workers (often 22 yo grad students) for about 6 min before they make a judgement call. There will be some randomness.

1 Like

It’s an algorithm for SLO.

My daughter is in the same boat, with essentially the same stats as your son. Rejected by every UC school she applied to and SLO an SDSU. It’s unfortunate that being a California resident doesn’t get you extra points like living in SLO. This has been an unbelievable sad year for seniors and this just makes it worse. Yesterday was a difficult day.
Congratulations to those who were accepted :blush:

6 Likes

Does that include UCs lower down the scale such as Riverside and Merced?

that is not how it works at SLO. There is an MCA score. Your numbers are plugged in. Yes there are some things that might not be transparent or an obvious science, like the partner schools which is not really advertised. Your MCA score is compared to those that you are competing with in your major. Much less random than a holistic aproach with essay like the UC’s.

1 Like

Davis is fantastic for all life sciences. Best vet school in the country, but they are fantastic at anything that is alive - plants, animals, people, you name it. And the students are super-friendly and happy. Bring your bike - everyone bikes everywhere. You should be proud. My daughter’s top choices are Davis and SLO, and she got WL’d at both. You will have a blast and learn great things.

4 Likes

Sort of in the same boat here. My daughter has one acceptance in California (SDSU) but waitlisted or rejected for all the others, including a waitlist at her first choice SLO. I literally can not wrap my head around California residents having to the leave the state. Something is very wrong with that. We are grateful for our instate acceptance, but we aren’t in the excitement mode about it yet which bums me out for my kid. She worked her ass off for 4 years, sacrificed so much and now it just feels like a waste. I am genuinely happy for others and their acceptances. Clearly kids these days are remarkable students both in and out of school and they will thrive no matter what name is on their diploma.

9 Likes

Thank you! Best of luck to your daughter. This has been a crazy year and we’re all a little worse for wear. I hope your daughter ends up where she needs to be:)

If that’s his first choice, then appeal.

I blame this on college counselors for not prepping the kids more. More specifically the way the public schools engage them. My daughter was not offered counseling until here senior year. My older daughter who went to private was being prepped from Freshman year. But her counselor told her she would not get into Cal Poly. She applied anyway and is finishing up her last year.

1 Like

Thanks! Now go celebrate!

1 Like

Yes I can agree with this. We should have been advised in 8th grade how the choices kids make for 9th affect college decisions because I now have a better understanding of what California schools are looking for. We didn’t start getting real guidance (which was wonderful Information)until early junior year, but it was too late. I have a lot of resentment about it. My D21 is lucky she’s always been a driven straight A student so she has SDSU in her pocket but damn I will be helping my S25 make different choices for his 4 years. I hate that my oldest was a guinea pig. She’s getting acceptances all over the country from amazing schools and she’s getting tons of big scholarships but it’s still not as affordable as SDSU and we’ve already told her we are not going into debt for college and we have two more kids down the pipeline. The only rejection she has gotten is UCLA but that application was for ■■■■■ and giggles and submitted at the last minute.

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have listed that…she applied to UCSD, Davis, UCSB, UCLA and UCI.

Just sharing this information about the Cal Poly waitlist process from the Admissions Office

That’s interesting because I looked at the common set data form from 2019-2020 the box was checked that CalPoly does rank their waitlist. Does that mean they’ve done away with it since?

I saw that too. Not sure what to make of it.

1 Like

My son’s bestie got his CP rejection yesterday - almost a month after my son got accepted. He’s crushed. It was his first choice school, and has been waitlisted or rejected from all of the UCs, so he’s now scrambling to look at his safety options. My son’s now leaning away from CP (zero of his 5-10 friends who applied got accepted), and toward UCSD because a few other friends actually got in. Who would have thought?

1 Like