Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

@Seabass927 It’s interesting how first choices could change. My son has been wanting to go to UCSD for a million years but many friends are leaning towards UCI so he may ditch UCSD.

Totally agree. He’s been pretty set on CP for over a year, and always said UCSD was too close to home. I think he would’ve considered UCI more closely, but no friends got in there, and apparently that’s becoming a bigger factor of consideration than I ever realized. I cannot wait for this to be over, but it’s fun to watch their decisionmaking unfold!

CA residents not suppose to travel outside the state, but it’s leadership doesn’t require its public universities to consider this fact during pandemic admissions. What a mess.

2 Likes

@Seabass927 After the year they have had, I’m actually grateful they could decide on a college where they will have an established group of friends. I met all new friends while in college because apparently no one at school wanted to be chemical engineers so I think kids with friends at the starting line will get the best of all worlds with a solid network and then be able to pile on new friends and make new memories. What a year for these bedroom-classroom seniors.

2 Likes

My S18 turned down an acceptance to UCSD CS in Warren college to attend UCI with his buddies. They were accepted to UCSD but not CS. He’s never regretted keeping the crew together. Some kids want a whole new start from high school while others prefer a bit of the familiar as they begin this new adventure.

3 Likes

I love hearing stories like this! I went to college with my two besties and finished freshman year no longer besties :rofl: so trying not to impose my personal baggage on the situation!!

1 Like

“Work or Study” is considered essential travel by State of CA.

1 Like

I think kids today stay closer in touch with high school friends than they did in the past because of social media and texting. We had to find a landline and reach someone near the phone.

1 Like

@Seabass927 I’m closer to my college friends. Three of them ended up being my bridesmaid and one was a year behind me. People who were from my hs just all majored in different things so we never saw each other. The UW is a huge campus.
My son’s friends have been consistently STEM kids so hopefully they will have similar class locations. That was always key. Once you get in your major, it’s the people in your major and I was too lame to be uber social since never had time.

So funny about landline. I had the clear phone with neon gears inside the phone. My parents still have that phone at our Seattle home.

1 Like

My S21 was waitlisted for communications at SLO. If he gets off the waitlist, does anyone know if he will get an email to check his portal or does he need to check frequently? The video and website does not say.

1 Like

That’s sounds like a @Gumbymom question.

3 Likes

He should get an email stating there is an update to his student portal but knowing how anxious these SLO posters are about decisions, he may get a heads up on CC before the email. Decisions are posted on the portal before the email.

3 Likes

Hi and thanks to you and to other parents for these posts! My daughter (4.18 W, with EC’s, varsity Cross country all four years, no test scores due to covid) got waitlisted at her number one, Calpoly SLO (in-state). We are hoping she gets off the waitlist but she got into Arizona (honors), UC Riverside, ASU Honors, U of Colorado Boulder, and San Diego State. She got rejected from UCSB, UCLA, UCI and UCD. She got waitlisted at UCSD. So we are at a crossroads and just trying to navigate through the acceptances and see which one would be a fit for her. Frustrating and uncertain times, these are.

2 Likes

The waitlist email says the following:

“You will be notified of your final waitlist status through your MyCalPoly portal no later than July 15. If you would like to be removed from our waitlist, please indicate your decision to be removed by March 26.”

I suggest checking portal frequently. Definitely on April 1st and just after May 1st.

3 Likes

SDSU is an awesome school with tons of school spirit!

2 Likes

Agreed. I work for a large telecom company in SD and they’re recruiting heavily at SDSU now.it no longer has the rep of party school. They’re a serious contender for students.

2 Likes

Good to know—thanks! Daughter was admitted to SDSU but doesn’t know much about the school and hasn’t visited.

2 Likes

Oh, I know it’s a great school! What we are in the process of now is learning more about it and planning a weekend trip down there to build up the excitement for her. Each day she’s warming up to it more and more, I’m proud of her. We are truly grateful.

5 Likes

What major?

1 Like

Younger son attended SDSU as a CS major. Any questions, do not hesitate to PM me and I will try to answer your questions. He loved his time at SDSU.

2 Likes