Calculus 1 or Calculus 2

<p>Which book is that exactly?</p>

<p>This from Dr. Haskew back in 2012. I had asked him to assume my son would score at least a 4, as we didn’t want to go back and ask if for some reason he didn’t get the 5, and we wouldn’t have the scores before registration. “A 4 in AP Calculus BC will count for MATH 125 and 126. I would suggest starting at UA in either 125 or 126, but not bypassing both. If XXX is highly confident in derivatives and single integrals of anything we could throw at him, then 126 would be fine. However, there is opportunity to form teams with peers and travel through the curriculum with a fixed group if he starts in 125. The key consideration is that you don’t want him to get bored if he starts in 125. While the decision is ultimately yours, I think that starting in 125 is a safe bet while adjusting to college life, but starting in 126 is fine as well, provided that XXX is completely confident in his mastery of the beginning calculus material.”</p>

<p>Thank you so much @Class2012Mom </p>

<p>This is the text for summer session. I do not know if it will change for fall.<br>
<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Calculus-Transcendentals-James-Stewart/dp/1133112285”>http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Calculus-Transcendentals-James-Stewart/dp/1133112285&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I think my DS is definitely going to re-take Calc.I. He did sufficiently well on the AP to bypass it - but took it junior year. This year he took AP Computer Science as his math class - so I’m sure a review will be worthwhile.</p>

<p>As others have mentioned, Calc II doesn’t build on Calc I. I took all 3, even though I could have skipped Calc I. </p>

<p>In the end, Calc II was definitely the most difficult of the 3 for me. Calc III builds heavily on Calc I and the two are very closely connected. If you get to Calc III and you’ve forgotten a lot of simple things like trig identities and derivative/integration rules from Calc I, you will have to spend extra time going over it.</p>

<p>Chiming in again as someone who retook Calc I - it definitely did make the transition to college easier since it was 4 hours I didn’t have to worry about. That said, as someone who is also dual-majoring in a science and minoring in CBH, taking the credit would have relieved some stress from some of my later semesters. Fall of senior year I will be taking 19 hours in order to graduate on time. (Bear in mind that this is fairly normal for engineers, however.)</p>

<p>Calculus classes are typically designed such that students would not need a calculator. Some classes, including some outside of the math department, prohibit the use of graphing calculators, but allow basic and scientific calculators.
.</p>

<p>What does “Calc II does not build on Calc 1 but Calc 3 does” mean? More specifically, what does “build on each other” mean?</p>

<p>Essentially, Calc II does not really use what you learned in Calc I, while Calc III takes what you’ve learned in Calc I (and Calc II some) and expands on it.</p>

<p>This was my experience. Calc I teaches you the basics. You don’t really use what you learned in Calc I in Calc II, but you will be heavily using what you learned in Calc I in Calc III.</p>

<p>Lots of great points.</p>

<p>My D’s story. Took Calculus AB and BC in HS. Received 5’s. Took credit for Calc 125 but took the Calc 126 class at Bama (Calculus 2). She got an A. Good grade boost, good to acclimate to college, did learn a few new things. </p>

<p>Final point: if the Calc 1 or 2 is the terminal calculus class, I would take the credit from the AP test.</p>

<p>If taking Calculus 3 at Bama, might want to look at the book and syllabus for the class you want to skip to make that determination. RTR!!</p>

<p>@Cuttlefish123‌ How do we find the syllabus for classes? </p>

<p>Take that back…just type u of alabama course code and syllabus into google :"> </p>

<p>FWIW, my D thought Calc II was by far the hardest of the calculus series. She thought her friends who were able to bypass it and take Calc III seemed to be having an easier time of it.</p>

<p>Thanks, beth’s mom! Had your daughter already declared her major at that point? I’m worried that engineering could be difficult if someone doesn’t have a strong foundation in all three, especially since it sounds like Calc 2 covers topics not covered in Calc 1 & 3. </p>

<p>I can see where it’s going to be vital to line up a good advisor to help with all these decisions!</p>

<p>My D is an economics/math major. Most of her friends who skipped Calc 2 were engineering majors. I personally only know a couple of them well (one a chemE major), and neither is having any trouble with subsequent courses.</p>

<p>That’s great to know. Thanks!</p>

<p>DS is going to be Mech Eng major and considering skipping calc I & II. Does he move directly into calc III fall of freshman year? Will he have trouble getting into that class or will it be full of sophomore/junior students? </p>

<p>There will be plenty of Calc III seats! You can go into previous Fall semesters in mybama and see how many sections they have had historically in past years. No worries! </p>

<p>My son, who has a math minor, said if a student gets a 4 or 5, definitely go to Calculus III. You would be wasting time sitting in Calculus I or II. That said, my younger son, who will attend UAH in the fall, spoke with the math department chair. He told him if you got a 5 on the BC, you know your calculus. </p>

<p>The older son, who is a UA grad, has a friend who was worried about her math skills, so she retook Calculus II. Big mistake. She should have jumped to Calculus III the first day of classes. Now, she’s headed to Stanford for her PhD in engineering.</p>