Campus Housing info....& Honors Housing Info

<p>Questions came up in another thread, so I thought it was better to have a centralized thread… :)</p>

<p>Example of Honors Housing: [Housing</a> & Residential Communities - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/ridgecrestsouth.cfm]Housing”>http://housing.ua.edu/ridgecrestsouth.cfm) </p>

<p>Scroll Down for floorplan and all the pics (click on the little pics on the bottom)</p>

<p>RE: Ridgecrest South’s two buildings…The North Tower will be for new students enrolled in the University Honors Program, and the South Tower will include new freshmen and the Emerging Scholars Living-Learning Community, the Arts on Campus Community and the French House.</p>

<p>Q & A</p>

<p>When should I submit my housing application?</p>

<p>You should apply for housing as soon as you are admitted to the University and pay your $200.00 Freshman Enrollment Deposit. The date on which you can first select your residence hall room is determined by 1) your housing application date, 2) living-learning community participation, if any, and 3) any special needs. In other words, the earlier you apply for housing, the sooner you get to pick your room and the more choices you will have. The preferred deadline for students selecting a living-learning community, including honors housing, is March 1, 2010, and the preferred deadline for all other incoming freshmen is April 1, 2010. Students who apply after this date are not guaranteed participation in the online room selection process or campus housing.</p>

<p>What if I apply for housing and decide not to attend UA?</p>

<p>If you do not attend the University, you can receive a refund of your $225.00 prepayment by canceling in writing by July 1, 2010. To cancel your housing application, e-mail <a href=“mailto:chewitt@sa.ua.edu”>chewitt@sa.ua.edu</a>. Include your CWID, name, and the the reason you are cancelling your application. Because the prepayment is refundable, you are strongly urged to apply for housing, even if you have not made your final decision regarding the school you will attend. Your room selection date is determined in part by the date that you apply for housing.</p>

<p>Where do I find the online application?</p>

<p>To apply for housing, go to <a href=“http://www.mybama.ua.edu%5B/url%5D”>www.mybama.ua.edu</a> and log in, using the user name and password assigned by Undergraduate Admissions. The link to the housing application is located in the “Currently on myBama” section. </p>

<p>Can I move into honors housing AFTER my freshman year?</p>

<p>According to current HRC policy, only current residents and incoming freshmen in the Honors College can select a space in honors housing. Please keep that in mind as you select your housing for your freshman year.</p>

<p>More Q & A [Housing</a> & Residential Communities - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/generalfaq.cfm]Housing”>http://housing.ua.edu/generalfaq.cfm)</p>

<h2>Can a student with the NMF scholarship apply the on-campus housing money to off-campus housing in the later years? When D1 went through a few years ago, you could not.</h2>

<p>Yes, as a freshman, you can apply the housing scholly towards a one-bedroom honors suite and pay the difference if there are any available. Remember, upperclassmen reserve rooms first during a limited period, then they’re shut out.</p>

<p>All freshmen must buy a meal plan (Silver plan on up). </p>

<p>I am not sure if those upperclassmen in apartment housing must buy a meal plan. Anyone know? I’m guessing not.</p>

<p>Upperclassmen have some cheaper options available. If a kid would only occasionally eat “on-campus,” he could buy the 50 meal plan. That would be about one meal every other day - which I don’t think would be “too many” for someone living on campus. See below.</p>

<hr>

<p>Upperclass Meal Plans</p>

<p>Bama Unlimited - $1698 per semester
Unlimited meals </p>

<p>Bama Gold - $1526 per semester
220 meals per semester </p>

<p>Bama Silver - $1235 per semester
160 meals per semester </p>

<p>Bama Bronze - $768 per semester*
90 meals per semester</p>

<p>Bama 50 - $385 per semester*</p>

<hr>

<p>Meals can be eaten at any time of the day. Dining Halls are “all you can eat”. Kids can request a “to go” box when they come in if they want to take their meal “to go.”</p>

<p>Many kids use their dorm fridges and have cereal in the morning (or whatever) to minimize the need for the larger meal plans.</p>

<h2>BTW…all returning UA students who want on-campus housing…there is a multi-step process that must be done by certain deadlines otherwise you won’t get campus housing. (I don’t know why it’s “multi-step” - I wish it was “one-step”!) </h2>

<p>Thanks so much for meal plan and kitchen info. Have a very picky son. Will probably do most of his eating in his “apartment”. Thanks also for the Publix info. That was my “meal plan” in college as well. Great prices back then, hopefully still comparatively low. </p>

<p>Is the freezer large enough to store bags of chicken nuggets?</p>

<p>You think I’m kidding? I’m not. Less fattening to eat the frozen than getting the fried stuff at Burger King. Also, don’t get french fries with them. </p>

<p>Can we add dining dollars to the student’s accounts?</p>

<p>I guess we need to start a new thread on this meal plan stuff. Wish I knew how to cut and paste.</p>

<p>Montegut, how did you know I had a large bag of chicken nuggets in my dorm freezer? (lol)
No, you cannot add dining dollars to an account, but you can add Bama cash (which works at more places, including Publix and dorm laundry rooms). To make it more confusing, dining dollars can be cashed out or turned into Bama cash at the end of the year. </p>

<p>Us students do like eating off-campus when we want a change from of Bama Dining (Aramark)'s food. The strip has many places to eat, and Publix. Pizza and sandwich delivery are real popular too. Your kids may end up going with friends to the Waffle Houses or Cracker Barrel sometimes too. Tuscaloosa and Northport have every kind of fast food franchise imaginable, just most are not very close to the University.</p>

<p>Mike, it’s surprising what one can cook, most dorms do have full community kitchens and barbecues. As long as I wasn’t making a 6-course French dinner, I can make almost anything in the community kitchen. I believe it is only one or all of the Riverside dorms that only have a convection oven rather than a conventional one. That said, there are people that swear by meal plans. I tend to snack a lot and usually spend less than $7.70 on a meal, so the larger meal plans don’t suit me that well.</p>

<p>As for another way of getting food, go to UA-sponsored events (clubs, lectures, cultural events, etc.), there is often free food at these events.</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids, I have no idea about this entertainment tram you mention. I know of only one time this year when UA provided buses to a non-campus event. If you are referring to the 348-RIDE van service, that’s a nighttime service that will take you anywhere within the general University area. I haven’t gotten the chance to use it as I’m usually on campus between 10PM and 7AM when it runs.</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa does have the Tuscaloosa Trolley, but it runs from 5AM-6PM M-F and not on holidays. I’ve taken it to Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club and it is doable, but takes about 45 minutes each way. The website is Tuscaloosa Transit Authority . It was the original Crimson Ride, but is now strictly public transit. Students usually find a friend to take them places rather than navigate this system. There is a Rite Aid and Arby’s just off campus, along with a Redbox movie rental machine. It is possible to walk to Target and the mall, if one doesn’t mind walking a mile from the nearest Crimson Ride stop. As for on-campus transit, the Crimson Ride doesn’t operate on a fixed schedule, which means that the spacing between buses is not constant. Many times it is quicker to walk or get off a couple stops early and walk to your destination. When it rains or you are just tired, the Crimson Ride is a great asset.</p>

<p>As for entertainment, there is a movie theater just out of town and lots of local music in bars on the strip and downtown. Remember that Alabama requires people to be 19 for entry to the latter, which makes things difficult for many freshmen. </p>

<p>The question of “can you add dollars to Bama Dining?” is an odd scenario. As SeaTide says, you can’t. But, no matter, because you can always add dollars to Bama Cash - EZ to do online from your home…just move money from personal checking account right into Bama Cash.</p>

<p>A student’s “Action Card” is his school ID, but it’s also a “smart card” which allows him into his res hall, certain labs, and it has his meal plan, his Dining Dollars, and his Bama Cash on it.</p>

<p>The card is “smart,” meaning that it “knows” which account it’s best to withdraw from. If you still have Dining Dollars left, and you buy a latte at campus Starbucks, it will deduct from DD. However, if you’ve run out of DD, it will subtract from Bama Cash. </p>

<p>Bama Cash is used on campus and at MANY off campus places (signs are in store windows - including some gas stations). In the dorm laundry, instead of having to use quarters, you swipe your Action card on a machine on the wall, and the money is deducted (you save a bit by using Action card instead of quarters for laundry). Honors laundry (and maybe others) will text you to tell you that your laundry is done.</p>

<p>We don’t put a lot of money into Bama Cash except for laundry, because our kids don’t always use up all of their Dining Dollars, so we have those $ moved to Bama Cash at the end of the year. My kids mostly use their Alabama Credit Union debit cards for various off-campus purchases. There is a branch on campus for full banking needs.</p>

<p>The purpose of Dining Dollars is to ensure that the on-campus 3rd party vendors (Chick fil A, Starbucks, Pizza Hut (opening in Jan), etc) will have a certain amount of business. It may seem odd, but it kind of has to be this way. UA needs these vendors on campus, because it’s hard to provide enough variety to keep the kids happy, and the vendors need to have DD to make it worthwhile for them to put a restaurant on campus. I’m sure that UA gets a profit share from the vendors, too.</p>

<p>A parent with an NMF student with a housing scholarship was concerned that his child might want to move off campus after the first year, which would end the benefit of the housing scholarship. </p>

<p>The housing scholarship, when used for honors housing is worth about $7k per year (and rising). So, if a child “gives that up” after the first year, he’s giving up about $22,000 (assuming an increase), and causing an extra expense by moving off campus. </p>

<p>If you don’t want your kid to give up the housing scholarship, then perhaps some negotion will work. Many kids want to study abroad or do other pricey things during their college years. </p>

<p>Perhaps offering an alternative, such as: </p>

<p>Stay in honors housing, and we’ll pay for your study abroad experience. </p>

<p>Stay in honors housing, and we’ll put that money towards a car.</p>

<p>Stay in housing, and we’ll put that money towards grad school.</p>

<p>Another option already mentioned is to “pay the difference” and reserve a 1 room or 2 room suite in Honors housing. </p>

<p>I think many kids would rather have the study abroad experience, rather than be told that they can’t have one because the money was spent on off-campus housing … LOL</p>

<p>OOPS post #2</p>

<p>Somehow when I copy/pasted, some info was lost or mixed up</p>

<p>Should be…</p>

<h2>Can a student with the NMF scholarship apply the on-campus housing money to off-campus housing in the later years? When D1 went through a few years ago, you could not.</h2>

<p>NO. The housing scholly is for on-campus housing. Exceptions were made for The Bluff, but that was an unusual circumstance.</p>

<hr>

<p>Can a student with a housing scholarship (which covers the 4-bedroom suite), pay the difference and reserve a 1-bedroom or 2 bedroom suite?</p>

<p>Yes, as a freshman, you can apply the housing scholly towards a one-bedroom or two-bedroom honors suite and pay the difference if there are any available. Remember, upperclassmen reserve rooms first during a limited period, then they’re shut out.</p>

<p>Rates for suites</p>

<p>Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (4 bedroom unit)… $3,475.00
Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (2 bedroom unit)…. $3,800.00
Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (1 bedroom unit)…$3,950.00</p>

<p>Which is the best dorm for a freshman not in the honors/scholars?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Lakeside East, Ridgecrest East (takes regular frosh), and I think the South tower in Ridgecrest South takes regular freshmen. :)</p>

<p>Lakeside East takes all classmen, but the Ridgecrests take only freshmen.</p>

<p>The above are also “super suites” with each student having his own room in a 4 room suite.</p>

<p>Just wanted to remind those who won’t be in honors, but do like these dorms… Non-honors dorms that are just like these are available.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>That sounds great but I am afraid to go look to see how much more expensive they are.</p>

<p>Rates for suites (per semester)</p>

<p>**Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (4 bedroom unit)… $3,475.00 </p>

<p>(the above 4 bedroom unit is the most popular choice for suites because UA has more of these than the ones below.)**</p>

<p>Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (2 bedroom unit)…. $3,800.00
Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (1 bedroom unit)…$3,950.00 </p>

<p>The more traditional style dorms are cheaper…see below</p>

<p>UNDERGRADUATE HALLS per semester
Double occupancy or higher …………………………………… $2,200.00
Single ………………………………………………………… $2,550.00
Guaranteed Single (single person living in a double room).…$3,300.00
Blount Hall (double occupancy bedroom) ………………….… $2,775.00</p>

<p>Wow, quite the difference!</p>

<p>Yes, there is quite a difference. </p>

<p>A regular standard double room would be $4,400 per year</p>

<p>A private room in a 4 room super suite is $6,950 per year</p>

<p>So, it’s about $2500 a year more to have a private room with an “apartment like” suite.</p>

<p>I think some parents may have their kids pay the difference.</p>

<p>My child doesn’t make that much more of the difference in price from her full time life guarding job.</p>

<p>^^^ LOL I totally understand! </p>

<p>In UA’s COA for OOS students, they include the price of these super suites housing. So, if you choose less expensive housing, your COA will go down. :)</p>

<p>Who has been in standard housing at UA…such as Paty? How are the community bathrooms? Are there doors on the showers or is it all open?</p>

<p>I have to say I took a look at the suite style dorms for nonhonors kids and I can understand why everyone talks about them. If my dd ends up at Alabama, i’m going to have to come up with the difference in price to get her in there. It also seem slike there are more of these style of dorms then the regular two in a room style. Am I right about that or am I off the mark? When my dd heard there are still single sex dorms she said “I don’t think so”. Even back in the stone age when I went to college I lived in a dorm where every other room was the opposite sex.</p>

<p>PegV420, many parents, notably southerners, are amazed that boys will live in a suite right next to a suite full of girls and that UA allows it. I don’t know the exact number, but I think it’s a close tie between the new dorms and the older ones, some of which are the normal suite style with a bathroom shared between two double rooms. According to a past Crimson White article, Ridgecrest South has more beds than Tutweiler under normal circumstances, but Tutweiler retains the title of largest dorm because several overflow rooms are always filled.</p>

<p>So we can pay the deposit and if we decide to not go to UA, get all of it back?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>You get your housing deposit back (except the $25 app fee), but you won’t get the school deposit back. So, if you change your mind, I think you’re out about $200. Others can correct me if I’m wrong.</p>

<p>*It also seem slike there are more of these style of dorms then the regular two in a room style. Am I right about that or am I off the mark? *</p>

<p>Because each “super suite” takes up a lot more square footage, there may be more actual buildings, but each building houses fewer students. However, in basic numbers of how many kids are in super-suites vs how many kids are in standard doubles, I don’t think that there is a huge difference.</p>

<p>I also think that some of the buildings that contain standard doubles have many more floors.</p>