Campus Housing info....& Honors Housing Info

<p>What dorm do most engineering majors who are in the honors program live in?</p>

<p>We asked this on our tour and was told Ridgecrest South? because it’s nearest to the new Shelby buildings… of course the RA who told us this said he could be wrong…</p>

<p>anyone else?</p>

<p>I think that Riverside East ( E-6 #2262) is closest to Shelby (H-7 #1251), which is shaped like a pentagon. Shelby Lane runs right into Riverside East residence hall.</p>

<p>Ridgecrest South is ( C/D-8/9 #2271). It’s not much farther away, though. </p>

<p>Here’s the map - <a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama;

<p>I don’t think that engineers specifically cluster in any of the honors dorms. Engineering does have a dorm in the south side of campus (which I don’t understand why it’s there - it seems away from their classes - but I could be wrong).</p>

<p>As a NMF, can I choose whatever dorm I want and get it all paid for? And which meal plan do they give NMFs? Can I pay the difference if I want a better one?</p>

<p>Typically, NMF’s choose the 4 room honors suites - each student has his own private room in a 4 bedroom suite that has a living room, kitchenette and 2 bathrooms.</p>

<p>You can choose any Residence hall you want except for the 2 room or 1 room honors suites (you’d have to pay extra for that). The scholarship includes the 4 room honors suites which cost about $7k per year.</p>

<p>look at this link for a floorplan… scroll down for pics and floorplan of a 4 bedroom suite… [Housing</a> & Residential Communities - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/ridgecrestsouth.cfm]Housing”>http://housing.ua.edu/ridgecrestsouth.cfm)</p>

<p>There a fewer number of one room and two room suites, so if you want one (and are willing to pay the extra for one) then you need to select one early (since there aren’t many of them.)</p>

<p>The NMF scholarship covers tuition, housing, laptop, $2k for study abroad, and $1k per year. It doesn’t include your meal plan. That’s why the extra $2500/yr from engineering is a nice plus - it can pay for your food. Did you put down Engineering as your major? (I know that you aren’t sure right now). The $1k per year from NMF pays for your books.</p>

<p>No. Do you need to buy the $300 dining dollars? Also, though this is not related to the thread, where do most Alabama grads go to (like the top cities for grads)? Is Atlanta a big one?</p>

<p>Yes, dining dollars are mandatory, but you can get them back at the end of the year in Bama Cash or possibly a check if they still have the form for it. I’ve never used my dining dollars, 160 meals a semester is too much for me as it is. </p>

<p>The male engineering dorms are in Bryant, which is also the male athletic dorm. Odd combination IMHO. Lakeside East is officially the female engineering dorm. Riverside East would be closest to Shelby, but I’ve gotten from Ridgecrest to Shelby in less than 10 minutes. You can choose whatever dorm you are eligible for and I know engineering majors in all honors buildings. For other majors, the living learning community dorms are more traditional. Business majors should also note that the CBA dorm, Friedman Hall, is the only dorm on campus that is substance free. Smoking is prohibited in all buildings, but is allowed outside the buildings.</p>

<p>A lot of grads stay in the southern states, but many go to DC and NYC. interestingly, Bernie Madoff did attend UA for a year. UA has graduates worldwide, it’s really up to the person.</p>

<p>So a good number would go to Atlanta? I don’t really want to live in Alabama after graduation. Also, do people usually study abroad during the school year? I know I’d get the 2k, but that’s probably not enough. What would the difference be? Where would business majors study abroad?</p>

<p>Yes, Atlanta would be a popular destination. Many people, especially OOS do not want to work in Alabama after graduation and find jobs in other states. Alabama is a fast growing state, so you may find that you want to stay in Alabama. It does grow on you, but I’m still planning on leaving after graduation. I don’t recall what state you’re from, but that seems to have some impact where you’ll end up after graduation.</p>

<p>The tuition portion of the NMF scholarship is applicable to study abroad, housing is not. UA has programs where you pay UA tuition and go with a UA group, ones where you pay UA tuition and and attend a foreign school, ones where you pay a program fee through an affiliated company, and ones where you do all the work yourself and attend another school as a visiting student. The second and last situations can also happen with other schools in the US if you so desire. If the program you choose isn’t priced the same as UA tuition, UA will cut you a check to pay for the study abroad (this can be very lucrative). Housing and airfare are usually additional costs.</p>

<p>Depending on what language you’ve taken, what classes you need to take, and where you want to study, you have different options. Since I’ve transferred in so many credits, I’ll study abroad at a business school. I’ve been looking at Canada, France, the UK, Germany, the Netherlands, and the Czech Republic, but UA has or will find programs in any country that is reasonably safe. You could probably work out a way to study in Cuba if you wanted to.</p>

<p>If you haven’t done so already, check out IHP. It requires 2 years of language study (any combination of languages), 2 internationally focused courses, IHP 105/155, and 10 weeks of study abroad. If you’re good with a language already, UA is really generous with CLEP and placement test credit for language. I don’t know the specifics of your situation, so I’m just throwing out general advice, so forgive me if it sounds a bit canned.</p>

<p>Do the UA groups always go to certain places?</p>

<p>Yes, dining dollars are mandatory, but you can get them back at the end of the year in Bama Cash or possibly a check if they still have the form for it.</p>

<p>True. As of last year, you could get the money back in a check if you requested it at the end of the year. :)</p>

<p>This year, each of my kids took the Bronze plan and they are just running out of meals now (I think they each have about 10-15 meals left for this semester (which ends next week). So, they’ll use their remaining meals and Dining Dollars to get them through next week. </p>

<p>Dining Dollars come in handy for getting coffee at Starbucks. Next month, Alabama is opening more 3rd party eating venues in Lloyd Hall that will take Dining Dollars. My sons are happy about that since Lloyd is next to Nott Hall where the Honors College is. Can Dining Dollars be used at vending machines? Or is that Bama Cash or real money?</p>

<p>I mentioned before that once my DS2’s AP Credits posted in July and made him a sophomore, he called Bama Dining and chose the Bronze plan that’s not offered to freshmen. That is a big savings. :)</p>

<p>*Also, do people usually study abroad during the school year? I know I’d get the 2k, *</p>

<p>Actually, as an OOS NMF student, you get a LOT more to spend on your Study Abroad if you go during the school year.</p>

<p>Alabama gives you the full OOS semester’s tuition rate PLUS the $2k towards your study abroad if you go for a semester during the school year - that is about $11,000 (not bad!!!) :)</p>

<p>Lots of kids do study abroad during the school year or during the summer (Summer at Oxford is a favorite).</p>

<p>As for Study Abroad…</p>

<p>It’s totally up to you…</p>

<p>You can go by yourself (and a friend if you like) to your choice of many, many countries all over the world, OR you can go with an organized group. Some like to “travel alone” and some like the security of going with others.</p>

<p>Are you still considering Pre-Med, also (for some reason I got you confused with someone else who was choosing between Pre-med (engineering) and Business.</p>

<p>*If you’re good with a language already, UA is really generous with CLEP and placement test credit for language. *</p>

<p>Very true. DS2 scored in the top scoring band for Spanish placement, so all he had to take is one 300 level Spanish class, and upon completion and department petition, Alabama gave him the other 8 or 10 Spanish credits. Since he’s Pre-Med, he likes that his transcript will have all those Spanish credits on it. It should help with his Med School apps.</p>

<p>Yes, groups with UA faculty generally go the same place every year, usually in the summer. On occasion, there are groups to different places, I think the business school did Turkey and China last year and I know this year the College of Engineering is going to Spain, but since that program is not so engineering-focused, it is open to students of all majors.</p>

<p>From what my friends say and the ACT Card (the UA card for everything)'s website, vending machines and campus convenience stores take Dining Dollars or Bama Cash if you’ve run out of Dining Dollars. It would be nice if Publix or Wal-Mart took Dining Dollars, but they don’t. Publix takes Bama Cash though. IMHO both are nice in theory, but in reality are unnecessary except for printing, copies, and the 25 cent discount on laundry with Bama Cash. Every place accepts credit and debit cards, not to mention cash.</p>

<p>It’s about 95% business right now for me-I’m still thinking of pre-med though. I’d like to study abroad with others. China and Turkey would be ok, but I’d like to be able to go into the city and speak English with most people. I don’t know how well they speak English, but I guess China probably can speak it pretty well. Oxford sounds awesome. So does studying in Australia, Amsterdam, and Stockholm. I’d like to be in a big city that has a good nightlife.</p>

<p>Here’s the link to Alabama’s Study Abroad opportunities: [Capstone</a> International Academic Program](<a href=“Education Abroad – International | The University of Alabama”>http://studyabroad.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>There are summer programs, summer faculty-led programs to 20 different countries, and individual programs to many, many countries. I know that Dr. Gabriella Marconi Merriman (Milan native) is super popular and leads a group to Italy every summer. Dr. Cano leads a group to Spain every summer. </p>

<p>Here’s the 2009 brochure for the very popular **Summer at Oxford **program. Next summer (2010) will be the 32nd year that Alabama has had this program. </p>

<p>I’m sure that the 2010 brochure will be up soon. UA typically begins advertising this in Dec.</p>

<p>The nice thing is, if you plan your schedule well, you can choose classes that will cover various core curriculum requirements. </p>

<p>AL at Oxford Itinerary - Summer 2009
Friday, July 3: Depart from Atlanta
Saturday, July 4: Arrive in Oxford. Walking tour and group dinner.
Sunday, July 5: Afternoon introduction to courses.</p>

<p>**Mondays through Fridays: Morning classes. <a href=“EXCEPT%20July%2016%20and%20July%2024”>/B</a></p>

<p>Thursday, July 9: Formal Hall with guest speaker
Friday, July 10: Group excursion to Canterbury
Saturday, July 11: Return to Oxford
Thursday, July 16: Trip to Stratford-upon-Avon for RSC performance of Julius Caesar
Thursday, July 23: Formal Hall with guest speaker
Friday, July 24: Optional excursion to Edinburgh
Sunday, July 26: Return to Oxford
Friday, July 31: Final Exams. Farewell Banquet
Saturday, August 1: Return to the US </p>

<p>Classes are held at Worcester College, at the University of Oxford
[Welcome</a> to the Worcester College University of Oxford Website](<a href=“http://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/]Welcome”>http://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/)</p>

<p>Do students usually do it in a certain year, like sophomore or junior? It’s only a month at Oxford? That kind of stinks. I assume you can do or go wherever you want on some nights?</p>

<p>More and more people are learning English these days but you’d still end up learning a little of the local language just by living there. There are programs taught in English, but in non-English speaking countries with students from all over the world. </p>

<p>Oxford is so short because it takes place in the summer and uses UA faculty (currently the Dean Emeritus of the Honors College, Dr. Halli and his wife). There is nothing prohibiting you from attending Oxford or Cambridge for a semester or year as an international (non-EU) student either. As for a city with a big nightlife, that would normally place you in one of the more popular countries like Japan or the European countries. Depending on what’s scheduled, you can have a lot of free time.</p>

<p>UA students can and do study abroad in any year they choose. I don’t suggest your first or last semesters of college because it would make the transition to and from study abroad more difficult. I know that the Oxford program focuses more on English literature and history, which would be odd for a premed or business student to take junior or senior year. If you decide on premed, it might require a lot of help from that advisor to study abroad later in your college career due to certain med school requirements. The same applies to other majors, but I know med schools can be picky when it comes to courses.</p>