Campus visit- worth the trip!

<p>I wanted to start by thanking everyone who has given suggestion of where to stay and who to speak with, especially @mom2collegekids who has provide so much valuable information! The end of September our family took a trip from Arizona to visit UA, and it was worth it! For any families contemplating a trip, it is worth the cost and time.
I have to say that I had never been to Alabama, but the landscape is beautiful and the people there make it even more special! My husband and I had a day to check out Birmingham before our DD arrived. We enjoyed attending a local farmers market and then spent the day at Oak Mountain State Park. Absolutely beautiful! Everyone we met were lovely people and so helpful.</p>

<p>We visited the campus on a non-football weekend, so the campus was fairly quiet. We spent most of the weekend walking or driving around the campus, the strip, and downtown at different times to give us a feel of the activity level of the campus on a non-football weekend. My DD met several students who welcomed her to campus. The campus is beautiful. I loved how they have kept the architecture consistent as new buildings have been added. </p>

<p>Our tour day started in the Engineering department. We enjoyed getting to know the professor who took the time to answer all of our question, and the Engineering quad is very impressive. Next we were off to the Honors Preview tour. I can say that after listening to Dean Sharpe I was sold on the campus and the honors program. I loved the four pillars approach. We have sat through several other honors presentations, and this was the first time I felt like a school was supportive of the student as a whole and not just on an academics. The honors tour shows you around campus,Lakeside dining and Ridgecrest south dorm. The suite style dorms are very nice, and the food at the dining halls offer a good selection. My DD who can be a picky eater said that she didn’t think she would have a problem eating there because there was a good selection. Our tour ended by the students visiting individual colleges that they are thinking of majoring in. Since we toured the Engineering already, we signed up for Culverhouse Business College. After hearing Dean Heggem presentation, we were impressed with their desire for students to succeed. Now she is not sure if she wants engineering or business as a major since both were very impressive! I also need say thank you to Kayla Fields in the Honors program! She did a wonderful job organizing the tour, and helping with parking. The most impressive thing was the time she took with my daughter and our family at the end of the day answering all of our questions and the encouragement and excitement she gave to my DD about the campus! </p>

<p>We also did the general tour the next day. It is a bus tour that takes you around campus and stops at various locations. The part that I enjoyed was the history of the school that they incorporate on the tour. You also get to see the rec center which was not included on the Honors tour. If you have the time I would recommend both tours. </p>

<p>We also took time to drive around Tuscaloosa. We wanted to see life off campus. There are some shops close to campus, that I believe the shuttle goes to but I can see where having a car or a friend with a car can be helpful. The only movie theater we saw is not close to campus. There is a bowling alley somewhat close, but still to far to walk to from the dorms. We saw people fishing on the river right next to campus and a nice river walk trail.</p>

<p>My DD felt right at home on the campus, and seemed to come alive as we toured. Before that we were hesitant for her to be so far away. After visiting, meeting the students, faculty,and community it sold us on having her attend The University of Alabama! We ended our trip with a Roll Tide t-shirt, paying our freshman registration and housing deposit!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>We got a t-shirt and paid registration after our tour too. My son is a freshman this year and two months in he is loving it!</p>

<p>YES, prospective students should take BOTH tours (Honors & ‘general’)!</p>

<p>RTR</p>

<p>Welcome and Roll Tide!! Thanks for sharing your experience.</p>

<p>Glad you had a great trip! My D is a junior at UA and is very happy there. I can tell you that the school does deliver on what they promise during those visits.</p>

<p>ROLL TIDE</p>

<p>Glad you enjoyed your trip. My son wants to do the tour again. He did go ahead and get a BAMA shirt. His best friend laughed and said your not a chicken (he was looking at South Carolina). Roll Tide!</p>

<p>What a great description of your trip! Glad you had a great visit! Welcome and Roll Tide! </p>

<p>We are trying to wiggle the time for a trip in this Fall and it looks like there are no regularly scheduled tours that day. My D is contacting Kayla about honors program visitation (thanks so much mom2collegekids for her contact info). My question for those who have visited … would missing an admissions tour be a deal breaker for our timing? It seems like lots of other opportunities might be available to get the feel of the campus? Thanks ahead of time!</p>

<p>The Honors tour is very personalized. We could have easily done without the general tour. The best thing is to tell Honors everything you want to see or have an interest in, including dorms, Greek life, each department, sitting in on a class. You likely won’t have time for everything, but they will create a day filled with things of interest to you. </p>

<p>For students liking engineering and business - there is an honors program called STEM MBA; my eng. freshman daughter is one of the 300 freshmen in this program (that has been in place for several years). They have courses each semester, and after completing their UG degree, they complete MBA by continuing summer,fa, sp, and summer to complete MBA. DD says she is interested in graduate degree in eng, and they have Dual MBA/Eng graduate degree offering too. </p>

<p>To answer @kidsexpensive if your student is an honors type student, I would make the trip for a Friday all day and the Saturday Capstone Scholars Day (find out when that day is, it should be after the first of the year). They have a great program that day with speakers like Dr. Sharpe, you can interface with other students/parents. The Friday can be spent during a regular school day to tour depts etc - you can have a day set up by Honors College…</p>

<p>wids, my middle son and H did not have an opportunity to go on a formal tour but they did get a feel of the campus walking around it, and get to/from their appointments. My youngest son and I did have a chance to take the scheduled bus tour when visiting him and it was worthwhile for showing the campus and giving some UA details so it is worthwhile, especially pointing out important buildings etc but not necessary. I did really enjoy it though.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback! I think we are going to head on down after all the wonderful things we are hearing about UA and its honors programs. Unexpected turn to my daughter’s college quest (she didn’t look at UA until about 2 weeks ago), but I think it will be a good turn!</p>

<p>We also bypassed the general tour. Our day was scheduled through Honors Dept. and included a meeting with an engineering professor, honors dept., sat in on an honors class, met with a student for lunch and dorm tour and another student took us around the engineering dept. Very informative day.</p>