Can a grant be taken away from a college junior?

I still would suggest the OP contact Villanova. It’s possible they have something that can help. Nothing ventured…nothing gained.

13 Likes

I can’t speak to what others might have experienced with their journeys - or what stipulations might be provided on the documents that might come from different schools. It could well be that there’s information lacking.

I can say that it was never unclear to me which aid was merit versus need based. Basically if you need to submit FAFSA (and potentially CSS) it’s a flag that your aid/grant/whatever is going to be subject to adjustment based on changes in income, expenses and assets. I’m really sorry that the OP is going through this but my guess is that there’s disclaimers on the documentation.

Agree with @thumper1 though that a call to the FA office is almost always worth the effort.

2 Likes

Sorry this has happened. Under the FAQs Villanova specifically states that grants are need-based and that they may change:
However, Financial Aid is re-evaluated every year and therefore can change if there has been a change in income, assets, household size, or number enrolled in college.

There do not appear to be many merit scholarships at Nova but perhaps they will give her something to offset this increased cost. Are they just telling you now for this semester?

Does she have any loans? Can she get the direct student loan which may help a bit? I don’t think the college will take into account loans you have to repay in their FA calculations.

I think they do calculate the student federal loans, when we received the financial aid information from Villanova the $5500 and work study were her only offers.