Can I consider myself African American?

<p>Well I mean you dont want to get accepted into a university just because you are black, or low income. You want to get accepted because your qualified</p>

<p>Go blue!!!</p>

<p>It seems to me that people who ask this question are usually people with mediocre stats who think being “black” (which they are not) will give them a push to get into a top college, when it in fact will not…if you’re not that great, then you’re not that great and colleges are going to see that and really not give an f if you’re black or not. Being a URM or low income or both is not going to get you into college if you suck.</p>

<p>Okay, so you’re going to assume i’m mediocre? I’m not going to answer someones assumption but I just merely wanted to know what I should mark on my college applications. I’m not looking for a way “in”…but whatever.</p>

<p>Stop being bitter, you’re not black. Black is a race not a nationality. You’re middle-eastern.</p>

<p>The US State Dept. defines Middle East as: Egypt, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar. </p>

<p>Under the “Demographics” section of the Common App, there is a bubble for “White, including Middle Eastern.”</p>

<p>Re: post 5 and 8: you are right: Middle East is not a continent. Egypt is located on the African continent.
However, the CA does not track continent.</p>

<p>Your missing a few countries.</p>

<p>Why is “African American” assumed to be black?? South Africa is historically dominated by “white” European descendents. If a WHITE man that immigrated from Africa come to the United States and becomes an American Citizen, he is TRULEY “African American.”
So why on earth would anyone assume that African American is ONLY black? The OP has a legitimate question; Egypt is in Africa and it is weird that we designate a few countries as the “middle east.”
To the poster that gave the US State Department’s classifications (or whatever department it was), you’re one of the few that looked to actually answer the question in a respectful manner, props!
Sorry to the OP that you couldn’t be given a less stressful and harassing answer right away.</p>

<p>^Okay. Let me break it down for you.

1. Colleges are referring to race/ethnicity; NOT nationality. Yes, a white man born in South Africa that moved to the US is an “African-American” by nationality, but his ethnicity is not black. That is what colleges are referring to. If I were born in Asia, grew up with the culture and such, and were to immigrate to the U.S., you could call me an “Asian American” if you want, but my ethnicity is still not Asian. I wish colleges would just put Black instead of African American.
  2. YES, Egypt is in North Africa. However, it is part of the Middle East. No, the Middle East is not a continent, it’s just a region, but obviously some countries are a part of that. You cannot compare Egyptians to say, someone from Zimbabwe. The cultures are completely and totally different; one is that of an Arabic culture, the other is of a native Southern African culture. They are not the same, it’s like comparing apples and oranges. It’s not weird that we designate a few countries as the Middle East, they ARE the Middle East.</p>

<p>[You’re right, missing many countries! Sorry.]</p>

<p>There is growing dislike of the term “race” to apply to various humans. I’ll skip that explanation. The CA doesn’t use the term. They just ask how you identify yourself.</p>

<p>Technically, a white person from South Africa, the country, is a “White South African.” He’d use White on the CA, plus whatever other identity applied.</p>

<p>A white born in South Africa, who moved to the US, is NOT “African-American by nationality.” His nationality is his country of “origin, birth, or naturalization” - ie, citizenship. He could live in the US without becoming a citizen. Typically, for college apps, those with Permanent Resident status here are treated same as US citizens. If he is a citizen or PR, he might call himself a “White South African-American.” </p>

<p>The CA offers “Black or African American including Africa or Caribbean.” </p>

<p>In Census/govt terms, Black/African American typically refers to an American of black African descent. Seems the CA bundles the category.</p>

<p>Truth is, adcoms don’t get it any better than anybody else. It’s confusing to all, especially in light of all the people with mixed heritages.</p>

<p>Like what other people have already said. If you have to ask, YOU’RE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE CONSIDERED AFRICAN AMERICAN. You’re a teenager… you look pretty silly asking whether or not you qualify as a specific race.</p>

<p>Just stop bro, end of story.</p>

<p>lolz
y’all should have listened to me when I said end thread.</p>

<p>This kid did not want advice. He simply wanted us to say he was right.</p>

<p>I’d say go ahead. Heck, if colleges want to be racist and decide to accept less qualified blacks because they’re a <em>minority</em>, that’s their deal. My Ap human geo book defines race as what you identify with, so if you consider yourself African, go ahead and mark the check box. Egypt is indeed in Africa. It may be considered middle eastern, but it IS in Africa.
Besides, race should NOT be a factor in college admission. Who cares if you’re Indian or Austrian or Iranian??? It’s one of the most unfair, stupid, and racist things.</p>

<p>I agree with BlackRose…end this nonsense. </p>

<p>A Black person can’t tell him he’s black or if its OK for them to identify as Black, anymore than a female can tell him he needs to identify as a female. </p>

<p>‘Hmmm…this school recruits more females than males to diversify its class…maybe I identify as a female. Am I? I wore a dress once for halloween, played with my sisters dolls… Is it ok to say I am a female now when its convenient to do so, and change back to male after admissions?’</p>

<p>if colleges want to be racist and decide to accept less qualified blacks because they’re a <em>minority</em>, that’s their deal.
Top colleges tend to focus on the most qualified students. They don’t have to settle for underperformers in any category. In the end, since the Comon App schools agree to review holistically, a number of factors lead to the final yea or nay. </p>

<p>OP is not the first to have a question about how various peoples from the Afrcian continent should “identify” themselves.</p>

<p>But, he should not deride other posters- and should realize his mistaken take on enthnicity, origin, whatever- versus geography.</p>

<p>And African American means African American. If colleges are using that as a politically correct term for black, well then they should come out and say it. A white student in Africa us African American. Colleges should NOT care. I’d love to say that if you’re unqualified and black top colleges won’t accept you, but the sad, stupid truth is, they’ll pick you over a more qualified white or Asian. Play it to your favor if you want. It’s their choice if they choose to make that a factor.</p>

<p>Julieannab: have you looked at the CA? Have you googled any of these definitions? The colleges are NOT using “AA” as a politically correct term for “Black.” The CA bubble is worded, Black or African American including Africa or Caribbean. It’s an inclusive phrase meant to reflect “of Black African descent.” You can look it up.</p>

<p>Op, maybe you can contact the schools you wish to apply to and ask them. If you are genuinely confused they should have some answers for you. Be aware, though, that the chances of you getting into top schools with low test scores, average grades, and a bad attitude are very slim unless you have amazing extracurriculars and essays to make up for them. This would be true whether you were black, white, asian, hispanic, native american, or blue. You know that.</p>

<p>@lookingforward yes the common app says black or african american but that is probably because some black people do get offended if you refer to them as black people.
And technically since it says black OR african american if you are either one you should be allowed to put it on the application (not saying you should but they’re kind of asking for it).</p>

<p>Anyways Wikipedia says:

</p>

<p>What exactly is a cultural trait associated with being african american?
Are they saying that if you are white but you have african ancestry and you like rap music and basketball you’re technically an african american? lol</p>

<p>^Better minds than ours get paid to figure these things out.<br>
You’re right that we could parse this forever.<br>
The only category where I know there’s some expectation of “proof” is for Native American- which has a space for “Tribal Enrollment Number.” OTOH, not all tribes agree on standards for acquiring this id. And, not all colleges demand it, as proof. </p>

<p>I am on the fence about the demographics.</p>