Can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

UW was strange this year I guess. A few kids from my area got in for CS, and I had either slightly or markedly more impressive raw stats than them, and likely ECs as well. My first thought was that my essays crashed and burned into a hill, but I got into Honors (which is an essay based app) so idk what’s up lol.

I submitted an appeal, but I’m considering withdrawing it as I would much rather attend UCLA over UW, even in the rare event that my appeal is approved.

3 Likes

Posting an update as we are near the end of the admission cycle this year.

Asian Male
4.5 GPA; 1590 SAT(single sitting); Decent, but not outstanding ECs; good essay; strong recommendations
Major: BioMedical Engineering

Accepted: BU, Pitt, Rutgers, NJIT(generous merit aid)
Rejected: Johns Hopkins, U Penn, GATech, Rice
Waitlisted: Cornell, Michigan, Case, Rochester

Committed to BU; withdrew from all waitlists, except Cornell…keeping that option open :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I’ll post my son’s stats here:

• White male, upper midwest
  • 4.4 GPA
  • top 1% of ~450
  • 33 ACT (superscore, both composites were 32)
  • National Merit Finalist
  • 10 AP’s with 4/5 on all tests taken to date
  • Numerous theater/academic awards
  • Great essay but I’m probably biased, unsure about recs
  • Applied as engineering major but also considering comp sci

Accepted:
Alabama (full ride as NMF)
Arizona State (accepted to Barrett)
Florida State (honors college, NMF package)
Miami (presidential scholarship)
Minnesota (honors college)
Nebraska (full tuition+ - commited!)
Texas A&M

Rejected:
UT-Austin
USC

8 Likes

Will post a recent reply of mine here which outlines decisions for my son, including any merit. Apologies that I didn’t realize this thread existed. Good luck to all!

3 Likes

My D entered college Fall 2021 so it was a very weird COVID year for admissions. Her results:

Accepted with Merit: Smith (attending), Occidental, GWU, Lewis & Clark
Rejected: Barnard ED1, Tufts ED2 (applied TO to Tufts)

White female
CA resident
large public HS
not applying for financial aid
major: economics
Full IB Diploma
GPA: 4.0 (UW) 4.6 (W) RANK: 4/550
SAT: 1450 (780 CR, 670 M) (Took only once due to COVID)
ECs: pretty good, small focused set of activities that she stuck with and cared about
Essays: very good, some of the supplements better than others

10 Likes

Okay I know this was an extremely long time ago but my UW CS appeal was approved. After doing more research and talking to extremely strong in-state applicants who were also denied and accepted on appeals, it seems that UW CS does yield protection. Extremely obnoxious of them, and is especially disheartening since UW decisions come in the beginning of March before most schools.

I really hope that any WA CS student reads this and takes UW CS admissions in early March with less than a grain of salt.

10 Likes

My D22:

White female
Large suburban public school in CA

UW GPA: 3.95
W GPA: 4.38
UC GPA: 4.22

12 APs: Euro (5), APUSH (5), Stats (3), Lit (4), Lang (4), Macro (4), Micro (4), Calc AB (4), Gov (3), Art History (3), AP Psych (didn’t take the test) Chem (didn’t take the test)

SAT: 1470 (760M, 710R/W)

ECs: editor roles on school paper, years of theater and music performance, founded an anti-racism book club, leadership roles in a few other clubs, chosen to sit on our county’s youth commission

Accepted:
Macalester (23k merit)
Kenyon (15k merit)
Fordham (26k merit)
Smith
University of Vermont (18k merit)
University of Oregon, Honors College (10k)
University of Wisconsin, Madison
University of Michigan
UC Santa Barbara
UCLA

Rejected:
Yale
Columbia
UPenn (ED)
Tufts
BU
Middlebury
USC
Berkeley

Waitlisted:
Wesleyan

She’s attending UCLA.

9 Likes

So did you decide to attend UW after your appeal was approved, or are you at UCLA?

1 Like

Chose to stick with UCLA. Loved UW, but don’t regret my decision one bit.

4 Likes

Hi, congrats on Brown! Can I ask what your social justice award was?

Wish I had known about this thread when we were researching schools. Our HS Naviance wasn’t that accurate for elite schools, so we were flying blind chasing merit and financial aid, and hoping for the best.

DS2022

Hispanic male
Medium suburban public school in MA

UW GPA: 3.95
W GPA: 4.64

9 Aps:

• Calc AB (5)
  • Calc BC (5)
  • Stats (5)
  • Physics 1 (5)
  • Chem (5)
  • Bio (4 pandemic shut down)
  • Computer Science A (5)
  • Computer Science Principles (3 pandemic shut down)
  • Spanish (5)

ACT: 36 superscore

• Math 35
  • Science 35
  • English 36
  • Reading 36

Essays ~7-8
LoRs ~8-9
Interviews MIT ~7, others were 8-9

ECs + Honors/Awards:

• Eagle Scout
  • Club – founder
  • 4yrs Varsity athlete – captain
  • Part-time jobs
  • Spanish Seal of Biliteracy Distinction
  • AMC12 school winner
  • Recognition Award
  • National Merit Commended
  • NHS

Major: Math, computer science

Accepted, merit/financial aid per year:

• MIT $ financial aid - attending
  • Colorado School of Mines $14K merit
  • Miami of OH - $25K merit
  • Michigan Tech $16K merit
  • Northeastern $37K merit+financial
  • Northwestern $ financial aid
  • Tufts $ financial aid
  • University of Alabama Tuscaloosa - $42K merit
  • UMass Amherst $0
  • Wesleyan $ financial aid
  • WPI $23K merit

Rejected:

• Brown
  • Cornell
  • Notre Dame
  • Princeton
  • Williams

Waitlisted:

• GeorgiaTech
  • UVA Virginia

Good luck seniors.
Hang in there, you can breathe in January.

15 Likes

S22 was a less high flying applicant (very strong, but not top, student). Results below:

White male
Large suburban HS in MA
Full pay family
UW gpa - 3.7
W gpa - 4.1
4 APs - 4 on all exams (a note that APs are not allowed until junior year so 4 is considered very respectable at our HS - all other classes were honors)
SAT - Test optional
ECs - Very average - some sports and a lot of volunteering - he also talked about some personal hobbies he spent a lot of time on
Essays - 7/10
Recommendations - 8/10

Accepted:
UMass Amherst (attending)
Pitt
Syracuse
UConn
American
Rejected:
William & Mary
UMD - this was probably due to NOT applying EA - friends with similar stats that applied EA were accepted - would not recommend applying here unless you go EA.

11 Likes

Thanks, I’m happy to see more results from students with roughly this profile. I’ll be adding my S23’s results in April when we know them just to give more people a better idea of what’s realistic (it’s easy to get sucked into the trap of believing only kids with 3.95 UW GPA’s and 1500 SAT’s and insane EC’s will get into anywhere “good”).

Edit* - I just noticed that the post above mentioned a 3.95 GPA, didn’t mean to call that out or anything. Those should obviously be posted as well… I think the stats on this board are probably skewed higher than average, so I’m happy to see kids with stats more closely aligned with my S23. And honestly, more stats all over in general.

7 Likes

D23, recruited soccer player. ED to Clark University. 30 ACT, 3.8 UW GPA, 5 AP courses out of 11 available, accepted with Traina Scholarships (20,000 per year).

7 Likes

DS22
White male
Mid size suburban HS in NJ
Financial need
W gpa - 100.2
15 APs - all 5s except for two 4s and two 3s
SAT - 1540
ECs - Student Council President, Model UN President, interned with local government officials, started clubs in HS, County youth ambassador, many extra curriculars geared towards interest in politics, started local non profit, very involved in various community service organizations
Essays - 8/10
Recommendations - 9/10
National Merit Commended Scholar
NHS, Language honor society
major: government, political science

Rejected:
Harvard
Yale
UNC
Northeastern

Waitlisted:
American
UPenn
Amherst
UVA
Cornell
Wash U

Accepted:
Georgetown
Columbia
George Washington
University of Michigan
Princeton - attending

10 Likes

Can you give us a bit more info on what the essays were on?

essays why Princeton was about his love of history and politics and studying at Princeton’s school of international affairs, the disagreement essay was on a political topic, and community was about the non profit he started. graded paper was APUSH paper

3 Likes

I see, thanks! I have similar ec’s and struggled on my common app because I wasn’t sure if I should address my activities on it – do you have any tips based on what your son did?

1 Like

S22
White male
Well ranked smaller MA suburban HS
3.7 GPA when he applied but that dropped senior year.

EC’s-sports and a job. Captain of one sport. Put down some recreational hobbies as well for EC’s.

2AP’s, 6-8 honor courses.

Essay was really good (9/10) and was about mental health (not his own). Recs were probably okay (7/10 maybe?).

SAT was 1320 and he submitted to all schools.

Applied EA everywhere. Accepted everywhere with good merit almost everywhere (no FA)

Clemson (no $)
Univ of Dayton
Univ of Denver (attending)
Miami University
Providence College (no $)
Univ of Tampa
Rollins
Butler
Xavier
Indiana University (no $)

Just wanted to give a perspective from an “average” student.

34 Likes

Isn’t it crazy how little Mass does to keep high-stats kids in state? DS didn’t even bother applying.

3 Likes