Can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

Accepted: SDSU, UW, UCSB, UCSD(attending), CSU, CU Boulder, ASU, UMinnesota, Colorado School of Mines

Waitlisted: UCLA, UCD

Denied: UCB, Cal Poly SLO, UT Austin, Stanford

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Academic stats:

UC Unweighted GPA: 3.93
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.27
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.53
ELC eligibility (Top (9% HS): Yes

Rank, percentile rank, or percentile range (if available): Top 10%

Comments about course load (including senior year):
AP Calc BC, AP Lit, AP Physics C(Mech and Electricity), AP Gov, AP Spanish 4, Honors Engineering and Manufacturing (5.0 GPA Senior Year)

ACT (total and sections): 35(Math: 35 Science: 35 English: 35 Reading: 36)
SAT Subject Tests (if any): 780-Math 2, 760-Chem
AP exams: US History (5), Lang (5), Chem (5)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): None

Subjective:

For the following, indicate level of recognition or award (e.g. local, state, national, international) and/or leadership roles: Nothing significant

Extracurriculars: Basketball, Engineering shadowing, mountain biker, surfer, snowboarder, summer job

Volunteer/Community service: NHS, CSF, Wilderness Rehabilitation Foundation, Basketball camps

Summer Activities: the usual, summer job

Essays (topics, details): Helping special needs kid at basketball camp, community service with wilderness park, taking CC classes and extra electives at school, woodworking/building. Overall 8/10

Demographics

State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
High school type: Large Public

Race/ethnicity: White

Applied for need-based financial aid?: No
Pell grant eligible?: No
Maximum Pell grant (FAFSA EFC = $0)?: No

Highest level of parent education: JD
Living with both, one, or no parents?: both

Recommendations:

UC’s are highly unpredictable and there is no correlation as to where you get accepted and where you don’t. Find some safety schools that you really like, and would enjoy going to. Also, try not to compare yourself to others on here cause I thought my EC’s were extremely lacking and I had no chance since I wasn’t in a robotics club (they are still somewhat weak). CP SLO was my dream school and I thought it was easier than some of the others that I got into, but that’s just the way it goes. Remember, try to enjoy HS while you can and you don’t have to do 100 activities to get into engineering. Time management is key however.

3 Likes

Results of a low GPA, non-typical CCer (merit aid in parentheses)

Accepted: CCSU ($1k), Clarkson ($32k), University of Hartford ($25k), UMaine ($16k and admission to Honors program), Manhattan College ($27k), UMass Dartmouth ($18k), Quinnipiac ($22k), Wentworth Institute ($16k)

Rejected: Catholic U, UNH, Stevens Institute

Undecided on where to attend (will be Clarkson, UMaine, or Manhattan)

School Type: Parochial
Race/Gender: Caucasian
Prospective Major: Civil Engineering
Weighted GPA: 3.1
Class rank: n/a
Some honors classes
No APs

ACT: 32

ECs:
-one year cross country, one year track, two years hockey
-two years ski club
-volunteered with developmentally disabled adults
-paid jobs from age 15 to current
-two years ACE Mentor program

What helped:
-wrote a great essay, 10 out of 10, really showed who he is and what he’d bring to the school (he is a very strong writer)
-good ACT (his first time taking he got a 26; a few sessions with a great tutor REALLY helped because he did know the material)
-great reccs (his physics and engineering teacher and his english teacher could see that his grades did not reflect his intelligence and abilities)
-his two years in the ACT Mentor program may have helped
-visiting all schools may have helped

Advice:
-be realistic but don’t be afraid to throw a few reaches in there
-most schools truly are holistic and every piece of your application counts (essay, reccs, ECs)
-consider tutoring if you have low test scores
-choose your teachers for reccs carefully, not necessarily where you received the highest grade but one who knows you, your passion, and your potential

2 Likes

Schools I Applied To:
Northeastern University → originally applied EA, changed to EDII, accepted, and attending!!
University of Pittsburgh (In-State) → Accepted (Honors)
Temple University (In-State) → Accepted (Honors)
University of Pennsylvania → EDI, deferred, withdrew
Case Western → EA, deferred, withdrew
Boston University → RD, withdrew
Brandeis University → RD, withdrew

(basically, after getting deferred from upenn and cwru, I changed my ea application to northeastern to ed2, got accepted, and withdrew everywhere else!)

Academic Stats:
GPA: 4.15 (weighted, on my school’s scale)
Class Rank: 2/410-ish
SAT: 1460 (superscore; 720 Reading/740 Math)
ACT: didn’t take
SATII: 710 (Biology-M); 650 (Math II) → didn’t submit either of these
APs: World History (4), Psychology (5), Biology (4), European History (didn’t take exam)
Senior Year Schedule: 4 APs (Calc AB, U.S. Gov, Spanish, and Comp Sci Principles), 3 Honors
Awards: None beyond Distinguished Honors and AP Scholar

Application:
Essays → I thought my Common App was pretty strong (probably an 8.5/10?) - I worked really hard on it, and I think it was well-written and gave a good reflection on who I was beyond my ECs and grades.
Recommendations → Good, I think! I got them from teachers I think I knew pretty well, and in whose classes I worked really hard in!
ECs → Research Program (out of school), NHS (Treasurer), Math Honors Society (also Treasurer), Science + English Honors Societies, Yearbook, Literary Magazine Editor
Community Service → Local Library, Science Summer Program, etc.

Demographics:
State: PA
High School Type: Fairly Large Public (about 1800 students)
Gender + Ethnicity: White Female
No Hooks

Overall, I think the strongest parts of my application were definitely my grades and my essays, my SAT was on the lower end for some of the schools I applied to, and I didn’t have any major awards and no hooks, but I’m really really happy with the outcome of my college admissions process!

For everyone applying in future years, I wish you the best of luck!! My best advice would be to definitely apply to a range of schools, safeties (!!!), matches, and reaches, and to put a lot of time and thought into your essays and make sure they really reflects you and your voice!! Again, good luck!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Results for a non-typical CC student. Her essay was about her love of dance and how being forced to move every few years led her to continually try new things, which led to her stumbling into dance at a late age. Her reference letters were written by her DE teachers (one ASL and one science) and two dance teachers for supplementals.

My D is homeschooled, 4.0 uw (very few “mommy grade” classes- 4 over four years), but a 1090 SAT and 22 ACT. She has six DE classes with a 4.0. She is an intended dance major (double major with education), but has only been dancing since sophomore year. Audition season was fraught with nerves and worry.

No academic rejections

Dance rejections (academic scholarship per year):
Point park ($16,000)
Shenandoah (NA- didn’t get FA letter)
Dominican U of CA (NA pulled academic app)
Sacred Heart (don’t have a dance major but not accepted into their full dance company) (NA pulled academic app)
Adelphi ($22000)
George Mason (NA pulled academic app)

Waitlisted:
LMU (still completely shocked she wasn’t outright rejected, though we know she’s not getting off the waitlist)

Accepted/ academic scholarship per year:
Dean college: $33,000
Springfield College: $30,000
Rutgers Mason Gross: $4,000
Stockton: $8000
Goucher: $33,000
Radford (in state): $4,000
Old Dominion (in state): $4,000
College of Charleston: $2,000
U of Wyoming: $4,000
U of Roehampton London: $5,000

Attending:
Goucher College, deferred to start in 2021.
Decision wasn’t based on scholarships because she will be using the GI bill and would have no out of pocket cost at any of the schools anyway. She fell in love with Goucher’s campus and warm feel, and likes the things easily accessible in Towson. They also did the absolute best job of feeding her (she has celiac so it’s a serious consideration). She also likes their 4+1 master in teaching program and that is her intended path. Her second runner up was Dean, but she never got to visit and couldn’t bump something she loved for something that was a question mark. Their dance program is better on paper though and she wishes she could have truly compared. Her third choice was Wyoming, which was absolutely perfect in every way- except location. She just couldn’t get past the distance, isolation, and long harsh winters. Roehampton would have been a serious contender if they offered gap years (all the other schools would).

1 Like

If I may ask, what did you get for standardized testing (SAT and ACT)?? I am very interested in Wharton. Thank you!

1 Like

Ok just reading all the comments here about people getting into Harvard is astounding to me because I bs’d every grade in hs and SOMEHOW got into 4/5 of the schools I applied to.
Major- Music Education
Lives in Texas
GPA- 3.2
SAT -1210
Rank- 338/372 mega oof
EC’s- high ranking in high school band
Lead in Jazz band
perform with local community band in the area
Volunteer with student run org. to play songs at rehabilitation and nursing homes
Awards- highest ranking in solo and ensemble contest since sophomore year
7/21 in region band

Due to my major not having definitive standards on grades unlike majors such as engineering and comp sci, I devoted most of my time to getting better at my insturment instead of schoolwork

Schools I got accepted to- UTSA, UH, UAA, FIU (attending FIU)
Waitlisted- UNF ( they miscalculated my GPA to a 2.38 instead of 3.2)
Rejected- none

I hope this helps the kids with lower GPA’s like me to find schools that accept them!
Thanks for reading!

4 Likes
  • Class of 2024 here. Female, Asian, Low income, NYC. Top 5-10% of my graduating class of 1000. GPA: 4.0W, my school doesn't do unweighted. SAT: 1520 superscore (790 math, 730 english)
  • APs: World History (3), Seminar (5), Psychology (5), US Gov & Politics (4), Macroeconomics (5), Language & Composition (4), and currently taking Statistics & BC Calculus. AP Scholar with Distinction award.
  • Extracurriculars: Multiple school musical productions since sophomore year, did tech crew for 2 of them and was the commissioner for another. Active Key Club member for 3 years. Interned for a non-profit organization that encourages youth (ages 5-25) through theatrical & artistic performance for 4-5 months (Basically did community outreach and helped produce talent shows). I've also played the violin since the 1st grade, participated in the NYC Summer Arts Institute the summer before sophomore year, and worked as a tutor for a few months.
  • Awards/Honors: 2nd Place at my school's science research fair in soph year. Also in NHS (Arista).
  • I don't really know how to rate my own essays, but they were fairly decent. I would say my personal statement & supps were both 7/10.
  • Recs: Pretty okay. I wasn't the biggest fans of some of my teachers, so it was kind of hard to find someone who knew me well. I asked my AP Gov/Macro teacher as well as the teacher advisor for the school production I was the commissioner for. Also asked my supervisor for the nonprofit I interned for.

Intended Major: Varies by school, but in general Communications/Journalism
Schools:

• Accepted: Syracuse Newhouse (Full tuition scholarship & Renee Crowns Honors), Northeastern CAMD ($14k Scholarship + generous grants), Fordham Journalism ($25k scholarship), Penn State Altoona ($12.5k in scholarship $), Stony Brook Journalism ($5k scholarship and University Scholars), Baruch College Weissman CAS (Dean’s Scholars Honors), Hunter, SUNY New Paltz
  • Waitlisted: NYU CAS, American Communications (Didn’t write the optional supplemental essay)
  • Declined: Swarthmore and Columbia

Hope this helps! Best of luck to future graduating classes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Accepted: Duke, Rice, Johns Hopkins (Hodson Scholar), UPenn, UT
Rejected: Columbia, Northwestern, Princeton
Waitlisted: Hamilton

Demographics: Texas, Asian girl, average public school

Stats:
-GPA: 4.0
-Class Rank: 3 out of 530
-SAT: 1560
-SAT subject: Literature (780), US History (740)
-APs: 5’s on WHAP, Language & Comp, Psych, Human Geo. 4’s on Physics 1, Chem, Art Hist, APUSH, 2D Design, Draw Portfolio

EC’s:
-Prez of NAHS and Rho Kappa (honor societies)
-Helped my friend start a political web-magazine
-Paid intern at local writing organization
-Leader in Youth ministry at church
-Church choir
-Historian in student council
-Worked for radio station
-Volunteered at a few mission projects

Honors:
-Scholastic Art & Writing Awards
-Keep TX Beautiful art contest
-Youth of the month in my school district
-Published in 2 literary magazines

I think the strongest part of my app was my essays, especially since I applied as an English/writing major. My activities, honors, and essays all contributed in demonstrating both my passionate for writing and my varied interests in other areas. UPenn was a special case because I was recruited by their English program thru Kelly Writers House and got to send in a portfolio of writing that I’m sure helped a ton.

3 Likes

I’m done, and it was SUCH a ride, but I’m so happy with where I ended up.

Accepted: Rutgers (Honors college, 10K scholarship), UW Seattle, UW Bothell, Northeastern (Dean’s Scholarship, 20k)

Waitlisted: Emory, Carnegie Mellon, NYU (later accepted)

Rejected: Stanford, Cornell (deferred ED, rejected, received transfer offer), Penn, Duke, Barnard, Wellesley, Pomona, Northwestern, Rice, USC (appealed----> accepted----> committed!)

School Type: Public
Race/Gender: Asian Female
Major: Cognitive Science/Neuroscience
Unweighted GPA: 3.83 (school doesn’t weight)
SAT: 1500 (didn’t submit)
ACT: 35 (single sitting)
Class rank: N/A

Extracurriculars:
-President of Girls Who Code (GWC)
-VP/Co-founder of Game Design Club
-Treasurer/Webmaster/Co-Founder of Animal Welfare Club
-Webmaster of Key Club
-Director in Model UN conferences
-2x State champ + created a program to teach kids a sport
-GWC Program with local biological research institute
-Summer internship with UC Berkeley Dept. of Psych/Cog Sci.
-Current internship with UW Medical Center

-Full IB one year early (14 IB Classes, HL in History, English, Bio; SL in Math, Spanish, Psych),
-Corresponding APs: APUSH, AP Gov, AP Lang, AP Calc AB, AP Bio, AP Physics
-AP World, APCS, AP Stats, AP Econ

Strong points: test scores, extracurriculars
Weak points: GPA, probably essays? (I read them back now and some feel a bit disingenuous)

Advice: If you’re worried about your stats, focus more your GPA. Also, try to find a focus early on to frame yourself in because I was pushed by my parents to do CS for years, and then I found a greater passion for psychology/neuroscience after taking IB biology and IB psych my junior year, which caused me to redirect my path and making my profile seem a little disjointed (and honestly, a little sketchy as admin may suspect that I was never actually interested, and just switch into CS later on). Also, make sure your essays show your passion for both the school, and what you want to do. If it’s genuine, it’ll come through.

2 Likes

Demographics
·       Race: Asian (Indian)
·       Residence: US Citizen front the Northeast
·       Type of School: Public (Super competitive, #1 in the state)
·       Hooks: None

Intended Major(s): Finance, Economics

Academics
·       GPA: UW- 3.95/4.0; W- 5.0/5.3 (All As, 1 B+) Equal to 4.8 on 5.0 scale
·       Rank: Not given (Super competitive HS so probably Top 5-15%)
·       Honors/AP: 16 APs, 8 Honors, 0 Regular
·       Senior Courses: 5 APs + Multivariable Calc

Standardized Testing
·       SAT I: 1550 (750RW, 800M) + 21/24 Essay
·       ACT: 35, 36 Super-scored + 10/12 Essay
·       SAT II: Math 2 (790), US Hist (780), Bio (750)
·       AP/IB: Eleven Total, Six 5s, Four 4s, One 3

Extracurriculars/Activities
·       Eagle Scout & 2 years Patrol Leader, 1-year Troop Guide, Order of Arrow Brotherhood Member
·       Youth Leadership Program with local Chamber of Business & Industry (11)
·       Vice President of Finance of small businesses (10, 11, 12)-Created, operated, and liquidated companies. I managed the team for our supply chain and finance. We competed and won a few awards
·       Treasurer of Investment Club (11, 12)- managed portfolio and market simulation for 80-90 members, organized fundraisers raising $2k for club portfolio, taught lessons on investing
·       President of UNICEF Club (12)- organized fundraisers, raised awareness through poster campaigns
·       Animal Shelter volunteer (10, 11, 12)- trained dogs, distributed supplies to low-income families, veterinary assistant, etc.
·       Second Chair Trumpet, Jazz Band and Marching Band (9, 10, 11)
·       National Honor Society- Tutored students and volunteered at events
·       Indian Cultural Club- helped organize celebration/fundraising events
·       Included in Additional Information Section- Description of Eagle Project at Animal Rescue, took college courses over summer at Drexel and Penn, Econ Summer Program at Cornell, Two Youth Leadership Programs

Awards/Honors
·       National Merit Semi-Finalist
·       National AP Scholar
·       National Honor Society
·       Distinguished Honor Roll (10, 11)
·       Johns Hopkins Study of Exceptional Talent

Letters of Recommendation

Interviews
Penn- Disaster, incredible awkward (first interview), seemed completely unimpressed with me

Cornell- OK, still awkward, rushed, he liked me but wasn’t overly impressed

Georgetown- Great! she was so nice, impressed w/ my career goals

Essays

Common App- Talked about a speech problem I had when I was younger which made me very shy, and how one of the programs I did helped me overcome that. It was not too impressive/emotional, but it was genuine

My Cornell, Penn, and Duke “why us” essays were rushed and not well developed. I think “Why [this college]” essays are important. If you don’t show them that you belong there, it’ll be very hard to get in no matter your application.

Decisions (indicate ED/EA/REA/SCEA/RD)
Acceptances- Safeties:
·       Fordham (National Merit Full-Tuition Scholarship)
·       Richmond (1/3 Tuition Presidential Scholarship)
·       IU Kelley (Honors, Scholarship)
·       Penn State (Schreyer’s Honors)
·       UF (Honors, National Merit Full-Ride Scholarship)
·       Miami (Honors, scholarship)
·       Villanova (Honors)

Acceptances- Targets/Reaches:
·       Northeastern (Honors, $30k/year Presidential Scholarship)
·       Georgia Tech
·       UVA
·       Emory (10k/year Liberal Arts Scholarship)
·       USC (Honors, Half-Tuition National Merit/Presidential Scholarship)
·       Georgetown
·       NYU Stern
·       UT Austin (Business Honors Program, Scholarship!!)- Attending!

Waitlists:
·       Wash U
·       Amherst
·       UMich

Rejections:
·       Penn Wharton (ED)
·       Duke
·       Cornell

Reflection:

·       Most of my results went as expected. However, I was extremely happy with my NYU Stern, UT Austin Business Honors, and Georgetown acceptances. I chose UT because of the scholarship (yay no debt!) and I really liked the campus/program.

·       I honestly ran out of time on applications and so my Amherst, Duke, Penn, and Cornell supplements were not nearly as good as they should have been. I focused on the schools that I had a good shot at and ended up falling behind on my dream school applications.

Advice:

• Explore your interests and find your niche- don’t be afraid to try new things and/or quit them. Colleges care about activities that you care about/ succeed in.
  • GPA matters, more than your test scores I think- you do the most work for your GPA
  • Take help from counselors, teachers, and older students- You can learn about a lot of opportunities from them.
  • Colleges are really looking for initiative from students- Having awards and leadership does little if you do not show initiative behind that
1 Like

accepted: Lehigh (IDEAS program, 7k merit aid), Colgate, Rutgers (EA, New Brunswick, honors program), RPI (10k merit aid)

waitlisted: Wellesley, Colby, Tulane, Carnegie Mellon (later accepted, attending for bio)

rejected: Stanford, Cornell (ED), UChicago (EDII), Brown, UCB (appealed and still rejected whoops), UCLA, Caltech, Swarthmore, Tufts

race: asian/white
major(s): mainly applying for bio or cs degrees
school: public, nj
did not apply for financial aid

GPA: 4.4 W
SAT: 1560 (760 RW, 800 M, 22/24 Essay) (is single sitting important?)
SAT II: 750 MII, 740 Bio (tried not to submit to colleges when possible)
APs: (only including the scores available by junior year, 11 total classes taken)
5 - CS A, Lang, Calc AB, US History
4 - Bio, World History
Taking Senior Year - Macro/microeconomics, Lit, Spanish, Physics 1

Awards/Honors:

• Commended National Merit
  • NHS, Spanish Honor Society
  • AP Scholar w/ Distinction
  • local ones: 4th place NJ Math competition, 3rd place in 3 regional scioly events (junior year), 5th place in 1 scioly event senior year
  • Bronze, Silver for the National Spanish Exam

Extracurriculars/Activities:

• VP GSA (11-12)
  • Treasurer Red Cross Club (10-12)
  • VP Asian Society Club (11-12)
  • Varsity LD Debate (9-12)
  • Sports: fockey (9), golf (10-12)
  • Math club (tutoring elementary school kids) (10)
  • hobbies/misc: photography, drawing/painting, piano
  • Stanford Summer Session (10), Brown Precollege (11)
  • Science Olympiad (11-12)

Interviews:

• Stanford, Cornell: super awkward, definitely only hindered my chances at getting into these schools (i am very, very bad at talking to strangers), wish i had previous experience with any kind of interview beforehand

weak points:
kind of everything? i felt incredibly underprepared for college applications because

1. i had no idea that it would be that time consuming to write/edit essays
  2. should’ve studied harder (esp. gpa/sat iis) /done more extracurriculars that related to my major choices

for anyone waitlisted:

• i am not sure if all schools have this, but cmu has a priority waitlist which i would recommend joining (assuming you are serious about attending that college, of course). to be honest, covid-19 most definitely helped my chances of getting off a waitlist. i guess aside from that, maybe do some activities here and there senior year (i did ai conventions, organize fundraisers, etc. because they were more engaging and therefore less painful for my senioritis)

regrets:

• not knowing who to go to for advice. i wish i got in touch with someone who could answer my questions, because as an only child with parents who went to college but didn’t really know about the college admissions process today, it kind of sucked (esp. when it comes to how many/what kinds of safety/target/reach schools to apply to, what colleges are good for what major, how to know what colleges to visit, etc.)
  • getting intimidated by my classmates. just because a classmate or friend is applying to x college doesn’t mean that i shouldn’t. should’ve had more faith in myself and probably would’ve applied to more colleges that actually made sense for my intended majors. applying to the same colleges as my friends is not that big of a deal in hindsight.
  • buying those shirts with college names written on them before committing. kind of awkward to wear a shirt from a college you got rejected to

things i don’t regret:

• not telling people where i applied. made it way less stressful for me.
7 Likes

what was your ISEF project on?

Hi Guys!

GPA: 3.6 UW, 4.35 W
ACT Score: 33
ECS: Student Body Vice President, IB Diploma Candidate, Junior Class President, President of Nonprofit Organization

Applied to: Cal Poly Slo (Business), Southern Methodist University (Business Marketing), Texas Christian University (Pre-business), Northeastern University (Business), Baylor (Business), Boston College (Business), Boston University (Business), UT Austin (Business), Boulder (Business)

Accepted: SMU (with 32k in scholarships), TCU (25k in scholarships), Northeastern (as apart of NUIN), Baylor(I don’t remember how much scholarship money), Boulder (5k in scholarships)
Waitlisted: Cal Poly Slo, Boston University, Boston College
Rejected: UT Austin

I was also accepted to Cal Poly Slo off the waitlist but withdrew from BC and BU before I ever found out

My advice: Pick a school you KNOW you are going to like. You want to fit in with the PEOPLE not just like the pretty campus. (learn from my mistake)

I currently attend SMU but will be transferring to a UC next fall:)

2 Likes

I’m kinda surprised no one has posted here yet this year. Maybe I missed the memo.

Demographics

Race/Ethnicity: Asian

Residence: Texas

Income Bracket: 200k+

Type of School: Large Competitive Public School

Hooks (Recruited Athlete, URM, First-Gen, Geographic, Legacy, etc.): None

Intended Major(s): Computer Science

Academics

GPA (UW): 4.0 (my school has a really strange way of doing weighted)

Rank (or percentile): 7.5%

Honors/AP/IB/Dual Enrollment/etc.: 14 APs

Senior Year Course Load: AP Calc BC, AP Lit, AP Physics C, AP Gov, AP Macro

Standardized Testing

SAT I: 1480 (710RW, 770M) (Went test optional for the most competitive schools)

AP/IB: Slightly more 5s than 4s

Extracurriculars/Activities

Built a crowdsourced recommender system – Pretty much my main CS passion project system for one summer. Algorithms used machine learning, natural language processing, and some statistics. Pretty good impact with around 10k users.

Research Articles – Published 6 research articles in data science magazines on topics ranging from social network analytics, recommender systems, sentiment analysis, computer vision, etc. (most of these were use cases and not theoretical so I would consider them low-impact).

Online Learning – Earned certificates in a bunch of courses from Coursera, MIT OCW, and edX, which gave me the knowledge to build my recommender system and optimize other projects.

Research Paper – Published a research paper in a well-known journal detailing the impact of modern recommender systems on the demand distribution and how companies/manufacturers must respond (this paper had a higher impact).

Robotics – Competed in both FTC and FRC for 4 years. Held a few leadership positions along the way and our team qualified for worlds a few times.

XC/Track – Ran varsity for 4 years, helped mentor a underprivileged team from a low-income area (one of the best experiences I’ve had in my life), and was named a Team Captain.

Rock Climbing – Nothing crazy here, won a few local competitions and helped maintain some local crags.

Awards/Honors

AP Scholar with Distinction

National Merit Commended Student

Cross Country Association All-Academic Team

Letters of Recommendation

Counselor 5/10 – She was always at “lunch meetings” and never interacted with students.

Physics 8/10 – She really liked me and I performed exceptionally well in her class. She was also one of those teachers who hung up banners from every college where her students attended, so she really cared about us going to good colleges.

Statistics 7/10 – Her English was a bit questionable lol, but I got a 5 on the AP exam and she loved me for that.

Interviews

Stanford – It was my first interview so I was a bit nervous, but we had a decent discussion. I was a bit thrown off because he kept walking around his house to get juice and do errands.

Northwestern – I liked this one. My interviewer had a son who was around my age and also in robotics, so we related quite a bit over that.

UPenn – Probably my favorite interview. He had just graduated from Penn, so the age difference wasn’t too much and we got into some deep discussions about my research and life in general.

Harvard – Compared to all my other interviews, it was the first time I didn’t really have to explain my research since my interviewer (who was a professor) picked up on it very quickly. In fact, he started hitting me with some tough questions that really forced me to dig deep and prove the value in my work.

Essays

5/10 – I’m not a prolific writer or anything, I just tried to reflect on my experiences and ECs in the best light possible. I also didn’t have a college counselor or essay consultant to review them.

Decisions (indicate ED/EA/REA/SCEA/RD)

Acceptances:

Texas A&M

UIUC (EA)

UC Berkeley (L&S which works better for me since I will probably double major in Econ)

USC

UT Austin (didn’t get my major and placed in undeclared)

Waitlists:

Carnegie Mellon University (RD)

Purdue (RD)

Georgia Tech (EA deferred to RD)

UMich (RD)

Rice (RD)

Cornell (RD)

Rejections:

Stanford (REA)

Northwestern (RD)

Duke (RD)

Dartmouth (RD)

Harvard (RD)

Columbia (RD)

UPenn (RD)

Additional Information:

All things considered, I’m incredibly grateful with these results, and after careful consideration, I committed to Berkeley earlier today. Go Bears! Still looking for roommates though, so feel free to message me.

Advice:

If you can afford a college counselor, get one. As much as I wish the college admission process could be a level play field for everyone, it’s not. It’s just so competitive nowadays that you need every advantage you can get. Fortunately, everything worked out for me, but I know that I could just as easily be sitting with only my guaranteed acceptance to A&M. Looking back, it would have been safer to get a college counselor.

If you are serious about state schools which have both an early and regular round, make sure you apply early to have the best shot. I learned that the hard way with Purdue and Michigan.

For any Texas Residents out there, being in the top 6% doesn’t guarantee you will get competitive majors like CS, engineering, or business at UT. I have so many friends from 4-6% who got placed in COLA as undeclared like I did, despite having pretty strong applications. If you want my honest opinion, to have a good shot at competitive majors nowadays, you need to be ranked somewhere closer to 3% or better.

Best of luck to next year’s applicants, hopefully it isn’t as crazy as this year was!

11 Likes

This thread really helped me with getting a general idea of what schools I have a good chance to get in to and also what scholarships/merit aid are offered. Since the college application is coming to an end soon, I decided to make this post. I applied to 17 schools. Hopefully, it gives some helpful insight. It’s always fun/interesting to see these type of posts.

Demographics & Stats
Race/Ethnicity: Asian
Residence: Minnesota
School Type: Large public high school
Intended Major: Computer Engineering

UW GPA: 3.8ish (I have a weighted one but my school does it differently)
ACT: 32
AP classes: 7 APS
ECS: DECA president, speech, mock trial, volunteering, social media coordinator, treasurer for volunteer group, and a few others

Decisions (Merit Aid)
Accepted:

• University of Minnesota
  • Purdue University
  • University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign
  • Colorado School of Mines (12k)
  • Missouri S&T (16k)
  • Drexel University (17k)
  • Baylor University (20k)
  • Reed College (22k)
  • Rose-Hulman (25k)
  • Drake University (25k)
  • University of St.Thomas (in MN and 28k)
  • University of Dayton (30k)
  • Coe College (Full-tuition)
  • University of Wisconsin-Madison (Full-tuition)

Deferred:

• Georgia Tech (Rejected)
  • University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (Rejected)
    I didn’t do any of the defer supplementals. If you get deferred and absolutely want to go to that school, do the supplementals even if they are optional!

Rejected:

• University of Texas-Austin

What I learned
Honestly, applying to almost 20 colleges wasn’t really worth it. It is a lot of time and effort that goes into it. I wish I capped it to no more than 10 colleges. It’s so hard to pick a college if you have too many options and are indecisive. I recommend doing early apply if you can. During this process, I worried a lot so getting back decision notifications earlier helped alleviate some stress and worry. Oh! I ended up picking to attend UW-Madison! It’s been a fun ride through the application process.

Good luck to those who are applying next year!

9 Likes

Accepted: Brown, Toronto Trinity (large merit scholarship) , Pitt (merit scholarship)
Rejected: none
Major: Philosophy

Objective:

SAT I 1570
SAT II: None
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.96
Weighted GPA: n/a but took all honors and AP when available
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): n/a
AP: Lit, Gov, Calc AB (only three are offered at school)
IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a
Senior Year Course Load: as rigorous as allowed
Awards: Social justice award, history award, multiple technical theater awards

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):

• Mock trial (captain)
  • Honor council (president)
  • Book club (president and founder)
  • Students against racism club (co-founder)
  • writing tutor
  • School’s student director
  • Stage manger

Job/Work Experience: paid internship in sound design at local theater

Essays: I don’t know how to grade my own essays but I am usually a good writer
CA: about how directing combined my intellectual and theatrical passions

Brown:
Open curriculum: wrote about how an open curriculum is a paradox and how I’m also a paradox and therefore would love an open curriculum
Place you call home: intentionally misinterpreted the prompt to write literally about my house and about the power of imagination to transform any space
expand on extracurricular: about founding book club in 7th grade and how it’s grown since then
Community essay: wrote about my work with diversity and working with the administration at my school to redo their curriculum, talked about being the only out lesbian at a religious school and my work to reform the LGBT policies

Pitt:
Same community essay basically, don’t really remember the other ones, the honor one was about “spot the difference” worksheets and their negative impact on our views of diversity

Toronto:
No essays but did the trinity supplements

Teacher Recommendation:
Gov teacher: She’s also my mock trial coach and was my 11th grade history teacher so I think that was good
Calc teacher: on honor council with me and was my 10th grade teacher too
counselor: this one was probably the best since it was co- written by my head of school who knows me really well

Video for Brown: Talked about how my theater was shut down for covid so I bought some wood and built my own stage in my backyard for socially distanced single person performances and directed a performance at the end of the summer

State (if domestic applicant): PA
Country (if international applicant): us citizen
Intended major(s): philosophy
School Type: small religious
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: no financial aid
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): legacy to brown though they sent my mom a letter to let me known that legacy doesn’t count for anything and our valedictorian with double legacy got rejected so who knows how much it actually helped

Reflections: Wish I had believed more in myself and waited to write all of my regular decision supplements until after I heard back, on the other hand just a really weird year
Strengths: video, SAT, essays(started in summer and did about 11 drafts of each)
Weaknesses: took AB calc instead of BC calc, not a lot of APs offered at school and no SAT 2s

4 Likes

My college applications did not go how I expected. I still ended up fine. Applied 2016-2017 season for chemistry major.

Accepted: CMU, William and Mary, Sewanee
Rejected: Cornell, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, WashU, Rice, Duke, UChicago, Pomona, Vanderbilt, Williams

SAT: 1540 (800 Math, 740 Reading)
SAT II: 800 Math 2, 710 Chemistry (I think)

Unweighted GPA: 3.74
Weighted GPA: 4.04
AP: Lang 5, Calc BC 5, Calc AB 5, US History 4
Senior AP: Psych 5, Stats 5, French 3, Macroecon 5, Microecon 5, US Government 5, Chemistry 5, Lit 5

Awards: 2x Music Scholarship Winner, Science Scholarship Runner Up, All State Band all 4 Years, National Honor Band

Extracurriculars: Band (section leader and principal player), NHS, School musical pit orchestra

Job: Lifeguard, private music instructor

Essays: In hindsight, they were not very good. Probably 4/10.

Letters: IDK, but I’d guess 6/10.

5 Likes

Where did you end up?

Posting because I feel it would help others. I know this thread helped me.

Major: Computer Science
State: WA
Demographics: White male
Public Noncompetitive High School

Stats:

• 10ish APs, mostly 5’s and a 4
  • 10ish DEs in math above BC and physics above C Mech
  • 1570 SAT
  • National Merit
  • School gov’t
  • Research
  • Club president
  • Varsity captain

Accepted: Washington State (full tuition), UW (rejected CS, accepted honors college), UCSD (CS), UCLA (CS)
Waitlisted: CMU (CS), Brown, JHU (Biomedical engineering), UC Berkeley (L&S CS)
Rejected: CalTech, MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford

Attending: UCLA

Final thoughts:
Slightly disappointing (especially UW), but lucky that fate put me in a state school because now I’m cashing in big time with my DEs

11 Likes

It’s crazy you didn’t get accepted by UW for CS with your stats! Who do they admit then??? Maybe it’s because they were test blind this academic year. Do you know of any kids in your area from WA that were accepted into UW CS then?
UCLA and UCSD are excellent options for CS! Congrats!

1 Like