Can somebody explain how one year transfers work?

<p>Ok, here’s the thing… I’ve heard of people transferring after their first year of college, but I don’t actually know how it works. I’ve never heard of a person who transferred their first year. So I have a bunch of questions… and I’m hoping that someone will be willing to help me :D</p>

<li>Is it common for people to transfer from one UC to another?</li>
<li>Do you know if people can transfer out of a UC in one year to another UC? (Sophomore standing vs Junior standing)</li>
<li>If its possible, what do you need to do? Requirements, etc…</li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks everyone!</p>

<p>I was curious about this too. I've been told that it might be possible, but my source wasn't certain. This would be interesting to know as a person who might have to choose between two UCs with equal pros and cons; as one that might want to transfer after the first year and not the second.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Is it common for people to transfer from one UC to another?
Not very common, no. It does happen though. Most transfers come from CCC, but as long as you have a high GPA at your University, it is possible. Priority list = CCC, then UC, then CSU, then elsewhere.</p></li>
<li><p>Do you know if people can transfer out of a UC in one year to another UC? (Sophomore standing vs Junior standing)
Pretty much just two years. Few schools accept sophomore standing transfers, and only for certain majors.</p></li>
<li><p>If its possible, what do you need to do? Requirements, etc...
There is a UC transfer forum for this question. You will need to take classes towards your major and receive a high GPA in your first year. Also, take the GE's at your initial college.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I'd contact the different UC Campuses to determine if they accept lower division transfer students. For UC Davis please see the "Transferring Before Reaching Junior Status" section of UC</a> Davis : Special situations for more information. I'd also review the "Lower Division Transfer" information in the "Answers for Transfers" publication at University</a> of California - Counselors for more information on the UC Requirements for lower division transfer students.</p>

<p>I am actually trying to transfer after one year of community college -- but I'm doing taking the unit-loading route. Since I don't work, I have time for all of my classes, and I had some AP credit going in, anyway. I think it also depends on the major and what UC you're trying to transfer to.</p>

<p>Please note that the UC campuses do not admit transfer students based on years. We look at total units completed. Lower division transfer students have less than 60 semester (90 quarter) transferable units completed. Junior level transfer students have at least 60 semester (90 quarter) transferable units completed.
If a student can complete at least 60 semester transferable units in one academic year, by the end of the spring term, then they would be eligible to transfer as a junior level transfer student. Similarly if it takes a student three to four years to reach junior level standing then , they too would be eligible as a junior level transfer and would be considered like any other junior level transfer student.
Time it takes to complete the required units in not considered in the admission decision.</p>

<p>Oh, I think I understand now. I'll have to talk to my cousin about this, haha.</p>

<p>Thanks UCD and Cali :D</p>