Can someone please chance my daughter for me?

<p>She's a junior at a tough Katy high school. Wants to get a kinesiology degree. I guess she would apply next summer after her juniot year. </p>

<p>Just outside the top 10%. About a 4.2 GPA.
Just took the ACT and got a 28. Has not taken SAT yet.<br>
National Honors Society
Marching band 3 years, now Drill instructor
Top Concert band as junior
Academic awards freshman & sophomore
Freshman & Sophomore of the week a couple of times
Swim team freshman year
Lots of church activities (mission trips, youth leader, etc).</p>

<p>To be safe, I would take the ACT again, I believe it’s in April, because if she has over a 30 she would be an automatic academic admit. That would be huge. Also, take the SAT, of course, as many times as you can because a 1300 Math and CR (with scores above 600) will also do the same thing. She is close to an academic admit so her scores would make all the difference. Then, I would take A&M’s advice and apply as early as possible. Good luck</p>

<p>The competition has increased significantly here in the past 4 years, so don’t rely on old advice. I agree with NETarrantMom it is wise to do all that you can to get those scores - lots of work upfront will guarantee a smooth college application process. As far as her position as is, I’d say there are students posting from this year’s admission with these stats that have gotten : full admission, Blinn Team & PSA. It is a roll of the dice based on who applies. Tutoring, review books, courses etc. are a good investment. Unfortunately, the compensation for attending a tough HS seems to be the availability of the academic admit, but beyond that you compete equally much to the frustration of the " tough HS " applicants. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks NETarrantMom. You said CR (with scores above 600) would get her in. I dont know what CR means.</p>

<p>CR stands for critical reading. The SAT has 3 parts : Math, Critical Reading and Writing. Each section is worth 800 points. You have to take the writing portion, but the score itself doesn’t count towards admission here. So the score needed is 1300 M + CR with a minimum of 600 in each.</p>

<p>AGmomx2 is absolutely right! Attending a “tough HS” has frustrated lots of students for many years now and, thankfully, A&M has the academic admit which can be a way of compensation. </p>

<p>I agree with the advice from the previous posters. Have her raise her test scores. </p>

<p>In addition to being in the top 25% and getting at least a 30 on the ACT, you also have to score at least a 27 in Math and a 27 in English in the same sitting. My son scored a 30 composite, but on that sitting although he scored a 33 in English, his Math was only a 26. Since A&M does not superstore, he was not an automatically admitted. It was very stressful waiting for his acceptance, which took 4 months. If he had it to do over, I would have encouraged him to study for the ACT and raise his scores. That would have been the simplest way to get admitted. </p>

<p>I guess what I was asking was what her chances might be as is. She might not be able to raise her scores.</p>

<p>Bulbar, the thing is that nobody really knows. I have watched these threads and have seen people with good stats who were not offered full admission. I have also seen people with lower scores get in. I think the stats were around 17,500 review students. I believe around 5,000 will get some form of admission. However, I think only 2,500 or so will get offered full admission. Those aren’t the best odds, even for a person with a good GPA, good test scores, and everything else.</p>

<p>I think your daughter has a great chance of increasing her ACT. My son got a 26 in the 10th grade. His next score was a 26, then a 28, then a 29, and finally a 30. If she keeps taking the test and focuses on improving where she is weak, I think she has a great chance of hitting the 30. </p>

<p>Also, if she takes the SAT she might find that she likes it better. My son took the SAT once, but he really should have taken it again.</p>

<p>Here’s a twist. She has a twin. Her twin will be an auto-accept. Maybe I’ll just tell A&M that they have to take both :wink: </p>

<p>It would be nice if you could! LOL</p>

<p>Maybe her twin can help her get that ACT score up. She is so close. The odds are so slim to get full admission for a review student. It was extremely stressful. A&M is the only college my son wanted to attend. If he hadn’t been admitted, it would have been very disappointing. </p>

<p>I would hate for your daughter to have to go through the stress of checking the portal every day for months, hoping that she will be chosen. If you aren’t automatically admitted, then there is no set GPA, test scores, or actives that will guarantee admission.</p>

<p>id say 90% chance she will get accepted to A&M </p>

<p>bulbar, </p>

<p>My twin daughters have both been accepted. Our situation was similar to yours. Both started with 28 on their first ACT scores as 10th graders. They took the ACT each and every time they could their 10th and 11th grade year. One twin hit the automatic admit by this time her 11th grade year, but the other had not. Both girls scores increased over time, but could not hit that magic 27 on both required sections. They both studied all summer from the RED Act Prep book, took multiple practice test, took the first ACT in the fall of their senior year and both exceeded the minimum requirements for Automatic Admits…and both OOS Automatic Admits for Class of 2018. Your daughter can absolutely improve her scores. She has to really want it and dedicate herself to the task. Both girls had their applications in and had been admitted by October. There are probably 3-4 more opportunities for your daughter to test again before the December 2014 deadline. If she really wants that Aggie ring, I encourage her to test again.</p>

<p>As mentioned many times above, test again. Just get the academic admit numbers and all of the other stuff like EC’s, work and essays don’t come into play. My son was admitted as an academic admit in August. I saw his friends who were not auto admits be stressed out like crazy waiting for an answer. (He was too for another school.) Some of his friends got in while others got Blinn or PSA or nothing. </p>

<p>She is so close on the ACT. Keeping trying. Try the SAT too. Many kids do better on one vs the other. My son was an ACT kid and my daughter was a SAT kid.</p>

<p>Well my daughter has now taken the SAT twice and did not get the 1300 needed for automatic for A&M. She got 1280 and 1240 with over 600 on each. Do they consider the fact that she got really close to the 1300? Or maybe everyone who didn’t make the 1300 gets all lumped together without consideration for how much you missed it by? I think she will also miss being in the top 10% by just a little bit. From what I hear, if you don’t get in automatically, your chances of getting in at all are not good so this is a real bummer.</p>

<p>bulbar-- congratulations on having such accomplished twins! So cool! The reason I focused on her ACT and SAT scores was simply because I have a dear friend who’s daughter was offered a Blinn Team experience last year when she applied in early August for, kinesiology, in fact, with a 29 ACT, 1290 SAT and the top 20% of a really tough high school. She believes she should have applied for another major because many athletes put kinesiology as their major. I have no idea if this is true and I am guessing this varies from year to year.</p>

<p>Something else that I have not seen mentioned yet is to work hand in hand with the Houston Prospective Student Center. That close to the auto admit boundaries, the intangibles come into play. Have her really get to know the folks at the PSC, take multiple visits this summer, ask the PSC folks for guidance on the essays, apply early. If she wants A&M, she’ll get it eventually with her capabilities. Worst case, A&M is really opening up to 2 year transfers since the 4 year graduation stats are really good for that group. Good luck to your daughters!</p>

<p>She is so close with 1280… sign up again. You can even order a copy of what you missed so you can study those areas. What I’d do - apply Aug 1 with her current 1280 & keep testing - you can update your file. She might just make it and be able to have everything else already processed which will put her ahead in the acceptance timeline.
Getting to 1300 is NOT out of the question, she’s only a couple of answers away! Try studying with Khan academy online - it’s free & they have been hired as the official study help for the SAT. Don’t throw in the towel , even if the 1280 happens to be her highest, that is VERY close combined with an almost 10%, she would have a good chance. Tell her keep trying, if she doesn’t get any higher then she will know she tried her best & took every opportunity she could. The payoff is huge for the 1300 score in admission stress relief - well worth the time & effort. Good luck!!</p>

<p>wow seems like that girl is a perfect match for mine. well i hope she gets a Blinn Team match at least. Maybe I’ll get her to apply for a different major. thanks for the advice!</p>