Can you get into CC with low test scores?

<p>I come from a school where it isn't very intellectually stimulating, and I have an 1890, which is the highest in the school. However, this was taken with little preparation. I saw in a brochure that they average 2070 in their entering class. What should I be aiming for, coming out of a hillbilly county in Eastern Maryland?</p>

<p>Keep in mind that you can, to a certain extent, pick and choose what scores you want to use on your CC application. You can submit and ACT score, an SAT score or a choice of any one quantitative score, one verbal or writing and one of your choice. Those scores can be from AP exams, SAT subject tests, IB exams or parts or various SAT/ACT exams. Because of the flexibility, most applicants are submitting pretty high scores because they can pick and choose from so many options.</p>

<p>That said, your score probably won’t rule you out if you have a really strong application otherwise, but it also probably won’t help. CC is getting harder and harder to get into, so you should probably spend some time prepping and take the test again.</p>

<p>Could you elaborate on the choosing which test scores to send in?</p>

<p>I did well on two sections of the SAT (670) and poorly on one (Reading, 550.)</p>

<p>I am aiming for 700’s+ on the 670 sections and 600+ on the reading (so a 2000+.)</p>

<p>Well, you have to submit one test that shows quantitative, such as your 670 in math on the SAT. You have to submit one verbal score. You could use your writing score on the SAT, also a 670. Then you can submit any other score. It could be a section of an ACT test, an SAT Subject test, an AP test or an IB test. If you look at the Application Process: You’re more than a test score" section you’ll see it explained. </p>

<p>You have to submit all your scores, but you tell them on the application which ones you want them to consider.</p>

<p>So may I submit my:</p>

<p>33 ACT English
670 SAT Writing
670 Math</p>

<p>?</p>

<p>Because English and Math sections on the corresponding tests are essentially the same thing…</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Yup! The flexible testing gives you lots of options.</p>

<p>international student here.
relax. i got in with a presidential scholarship with an 1890 sat, 700 SAT 2 bio, and 3.7 unweighted GPA (full IB though), although I stressed that I completely changed my IB classes halfway through the course and taught myself a bunch of stuff so they probably took that as evidence that I could work under the block plan. if you can hit it from that angle then you might have an additional leg up (not saying change your classes now. in hindsight that was a seriously dumba$$ thing to do. I payed for it by getting rejected to a bunch of colleges I would have easily got into had I stuck with my old classes)</p>

<p>just make sure your ECs are pretty unique and intellectually stimulating (not talking about debate club or whatever it is kids think matters these days, things like independent research/serious interning, esp. for the sciences). helps if you do some sort of big time outdoorsy type EC as they are very big on camping etc. Make sure your essays will charm the living ***** out of whoever would read them too. Can’t stress that enough.</p>

<p>*no offence to those who do debating or whatever. its just that everyone I personally know who did that type of EC (as well as achieving slightly higher SAT/GPA) didn’t get into CC. they’re a very subjective school as far as I can tell and they are definitely one of those places who look for unique students. You come from a “not so intellectually challenging school”, so as long as you make it apparent that you went against the status quo and worked hard, they should take note of that and give you credit if they think the rest of your app is alright</p>

<p>Another quick tip I have is to be mindful of the various rates. The acceptance rate for ED or EA is much, much higher than regular. If you are worried about your scores, even applying EA might help.</p>

<p>The ED and EA pools have a higher acceptance rate mainly because they are self-selected groups. Applying then might not really increase your chance of acceptance, but it will indicate a stronger desire to attend. If you come from an economically disadvantaged family, or are an underrepresented minority, you might apply to attend one of the Diversity Open Houses, which will again show more interest.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for the information!</p>