Can your high school guidance counselors see your Common App?

Hi!

I’m a high school senior finishing up my Common App. My guidance counselor has mentioned to me that she fills out a character report and some other required paperwork for every student who submits their application through the Common App.

My question is-can they see your extracurricular list, and how you’ve responded to the questions? I attend a highly religious school, and I have been involved in some LGBTQ related extracurriculars (advocacy stuff). I don’t want to leave that out, because it’s an important part of my application, but I don’t want that to influence my application.

Thank you all so much!

1 Like

No.

1 Like

They can see the entire app if after inviting your counselor (under my colleges tab, any school, the ferpa/recommenders section), you enabled preview (see the following screenshot, bottom of page)…did you do that?

This is what the ‘?’ next to the ‘enable preview’ button says:

3 Likes

I’m looking at that section on the Common App, and it doesn’t show me anything about an Application Preview. It just shows my guidance counselor, who I guess I’ve invited?

Yes, you are required to invite your counselor.

Below your counselor info it should either have a box that says ‘enable preview’ like you see on the first screenshot below (circled in red), or a box that says ‘disable preview’ (screenshot 2).

If the box says enable preview, you are ok, because you didn’t give your counselor access to see your entire app. If you did enable preview for your counselor, then you would see the disable preview box…so you could reverse that if you want. Does that make sense?

1 Like