Chance a creative writer from Mexico for the Ivies! [US+MX citizen, 3.9 GPA, 34 ACT]

That list is NOT as accurate as the college websites…so please look at the college websites. Apparently you have as Georgetown does meet full need even if not on that list.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily understand the issue with Barnard/NYC, but I agree if Barnard appealed at least Wellesley, Smith, Bryn Mawr, and Mount Holyoke should be considered. Grinnell and Carleton as well.

Nonetheless, Kenyon could make an excellent choice for a student interested in the study of socio-cultural anthropology.

2 Likes

I will definitely research it!

Well, I would not let my daughter move from NYC to Mexico :wink: .

But, maybe the article below helps to establish context for your parents.

While the best-known cities will naturally be in the news the most, and the largest cities automatically will have the largest number of incidents, one also has to consider that (except for the State of México and México City) NYC has a larger population than virtually any Mexican state – or the 7 smallest Mexican states combined. In that context, the number of incidents in NYC might compare quite favorably?

Generally NYC is considered as “safe” as most places - in fact, it is often ranked as one of the safer cities in the U.S., having fewer incidents (per capita) than many much-smaller cities that from the (far) distance, someone might think of as almost “idyllic”:

1 Like

With respect to New York City, had the OP mentioned anything about safety concerns?

Stated that parents would not allow them to move to NYC - as a parent I assumed the likely reason would be safety concerns.

That makes sense. Since New York City places as one of the safer cities in the U.S. (which is information easily accessible to anyone with an internet connection), I was unsure how to interpret the original comment.

In terms of a comparison related to the OP’s list, this site compares crime rates in New York City to those of New Haven, CT:

1 Like

For an example from the OP’s list of schools with a setting that is especially low in crime, Hamilton College’s surrounding town of Kirkland is among the safest in the U.S., with an official violent crime rate of literally zero in a recent year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.