Chance an extremely variable applicant with strange ECs. Also help find a better list of unis to apply to [CA resident, 3.42 GPA (3.76/4.03/4.52 for UC); math + ? major]

Old thread explanation for low freshman GPA:
Continuing the discussion from Is this Sophomore on track for T20s and OxBridge?:

This thread’s explanation of the freshman year GPA differs.:

It’s difficult for posters to help you if we don’t have the facts. Although the above explanations may both be true, it does seem OP may be looking for a compelling narrative to game the system?

Bottom line, I don’t think either story would prompt a GC to address extenuating circumstances… which is ideal if there are valid life challenges affecting GPA.

Since you don’t know a budget, I think it’s best to assume a budget under $10k. Which means CC to UC/CSU or a school that meets full financial need (difficult admittance with current stats but absolutely worth trying) or schools that offer merit for your stats (stay focused on getting your GPA up and prep for SAT/ACT).

You have many schools to research. I hope you’ll continue to update so we can follow your interesting journey.

2 Likes