Chance/Match an anxious high school senior [TX resident, 3.9/1440, top 23% rank, Psychology]

Demographics

• permanent resident
  • State/Location of residency: TX
  • competitive public highschool
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: hispanic/white
  • immigrant from canada

Intended Major:psychology

*GPA unweighted:3.9
GPA weighted.5.09/5
Test Scores: 1440 superscore(730 math+710 verbal), 1370 regular score

Coursework
*9 total AP’s( APHUG(4), AP spanish 4(4), WHAP(4), AP chem(3), AP psych(5), ap lang(5), ap lit(tbd), ap stats(tbd)(highest level math), ap bio(tbd)
4 dual enrollment classes (All A’s)
8 adv. classes

Awards

• 1st place, General News Photo, ILPC (2023)
  • 2nd place, Photo Portfolio, ILPC (2023)
  • Bronze star, Yearbook Stars, ILPC (2023)
  • UIL Latino History Essay, Certificate of Achievement,

Extracurriculars
Yearbook team lead(senior yr)/ yearbook team member(junior year)
NHS historian(senior yr)
internship at local therapy firm(senior yr)
volunteer work at local spanish daycare(6th grade-senior yr)
public relations co-chair to raise money for cancer research(junior-senior year)(15,000$)/public relations member(soph yr)(30,000$)
secondary caregiver to 2 year old sister
UIL hispanic essay competitor(did not win)(junior yr)
tropical smoothie team lead(work)(junior yr)
brusters real ice cream(work)(soph yr)

Schools
*applying EA to any school that offers

• Safety:Texas Tech(accepted), CU Boulder, cofc
    *Match:A&M,UTK
  • Reach:UVA, duke, UT(dream school), vanderbilt, Umich

forgot to mention im majoring in psych!

1 Like

Budget?

No reason to be nervous. You have have already been accepted to a great school

You’ll have to check merit/aid policies for all as you are a permanent resident.

I think UTK is a safety and A&M a reach given your rank as are your reaches.

Budget matters because U Michigan is well over $70K a year. While I don’t see an acceptance (nor do you, hence it’s a reach), can you afford it? If not, especially for a psych degree, why go when you can find schools much cheaper?

But that’s why I asked about budget.

@lazyvila1212 if this screen name is your real name, I would urge you to change it asap. Her is how.

If you are a permanent resident /green card holder, you are treated the same as a U.S. citizen for merit aid purposes just about everywhere. Do check…

Most likely for merit but not necessarily need - and we don’t know the OPs situation:

Only some of our colleges will consider non-U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents for admission and full scholarships through the Match.

This is from QB who notes this is because much of their funding comes from federal and state funds and isn’t applicable to all.

Where in the OP does this student say he is applying through QB?

Budget would be overall anyplace that comes out total cost with tuition and boards under 80k a year(keeping in mind that certain colleges on list are expensive but have a good rep for scholarships or student aid)

They’re not but it’s what they said that has me wondering about need aid and permanent residents. I’m just noting the source - but it’s the words about federal and state aid not being applicable to all that I’m noting.

I don’t know the rules -but that stood out - federal and state aid not being applicable to all when talking about permanent residents.

I think TAMU and UT are reaches due to your rank so you should not count on those. Obviously, apply, but applying out of state, where rank doesn’t matter as much and a 3.9 UW with academic rigor and a 1440 SAT are going to carry a lot of weight, especially in states where your background is uncommon.
IMHO Texas State is in a better location than Texas Tech but in any case apply to their Honors Colleges. :slight_smile:
Rather than CU Boulder, what about ASU Barrett or UA Honors? And/Or UNM (Honors). Better HOnors College/experience and cheaper :slight_smile:

Why UTK?

Run the NPC on each of the following:
For Psychology, good choices would include Clark and Wheaton in MA, Beloit in WI, Kalamazoo in MI (safeties and likely merit scholarships); for matches, St Lawrence in NYS, St Olaf in MN, Case Western Reserve, Pitt. Hesitating on how to classify Bates - I bet they’d be thrilled with your application though since I assume you’re American AND Canadian but it’s a hard college to get into.
Other reaches: Washington in St Louis, Tufts, Haverford or Bryn Mawr, Vassar.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.