Chance/Match me! ADHD student applying as Prelaw [NJ resident, 3.0 GPA, 1550 SAT]

add 200 more majors.

Yes, they say where you read and write but you’ll find folks from classics to business to engineering to journalism.

Study what interests you and where you can excel grade wise.

3 Likes

That’s why I wrote this. Think about that 174.

Schools like UT Dallas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Nevada, Alaska…all represented.

I mean Fairleigh Dickinson…c’mon.

Get a degree and good test score - that’s what matters - not the where.

3 Likes

thanks again. would you be able to give me a good list of colleges if i wanted to apply as an econ major, then? I’m totally lost as to what to even apply for.

what are you looking for in a school - and don’t give me a school to get into law school. geography, size, etc.

Start with your in state publics.

I’m looking for a school with a strong campus life. Ideally in New England, so I can be semi-close(8-ish hours) to home, but I’m open to anywhere. I’d rather go to a mid-size school(~10k students). What is most important to me is a decently-ranked program in philosophy and economics, because I hope to at least take classes in both, if not dual major. Other than that, there are the frivolities, like a good basketball program, campus aesthetics, good food, but those all come secondary.

For economics, do you want more math or less math in the major?

• Low math: calculus not required. Examples: Penn State, Florida State
  • Moderate math: single variable calculus required. Example: Rutgers
  • High math: multivariable calculus and/or linear algebra required. Example: UC San Diego
2 Likes

Nyu ed is a wasted app. If money is no object, i would shoot for a less selective LAC. Youll get individual attention. Look at liberal arts schools with acceptance rates in the 40 to 60 percent range. Do a reach ED to a school in the 30 to 40% range that youre sure u want to attend.

Problem is that your upward trend was disrupted by trouble obtaining med, so your narrative becomes more uneven, less convincing.

Trinity. Conn college. Brandeis. Skidmore. Rutgers, but it is a reach. Forget penn state, you will get branched.

1 Like

Forget rank - it’s not important - relevant.

You can look at schools like some of the SUNYs - Albany since you want New Englad…it’s close. U Maine. URI. Hobart, Marist, UHA (Hartford), Bryant, Bentley (reach), Suffolk, Maine and Southern Maine -and more.

How about PA schools - Millersville, York, Juniata, Susquehana, Allegheny

Basketball - Hofstra, Drexel a long shot…W Carolina

Really lots of schools.

I took stats instead of calc in HS, so probably not a suuuper math-focused econ degree, but it’s worth a look

thank you! i’ll research all of these.

thank you! I think I’m looking at brandeis and trinity now. By branched do you mean get sent to a diff campus?

Yes, be admitted to a branch campus.

1 Like

Yes. The Penn State branch campuses are mostly like expensive versions of community colleges specialized to prepare for transfer to Penn State main campus, although some offer a few four year programs on their own.

If you were willing to go to midwest, Denison, oberlin.

1 Like

Are they realistic with a 3.0?

Per common data set, at Denison, test scores are only considered and 85% are in the top quarter. There’s no grade distribution but I’m guessing with a 3, OP is not in the top 50%, not with todays grade inflation Denison doesn’t list a gpa table in CDS but on their website shows a 17% acceptance rate for the class of 2027.

Half of Oberlin’s class ranked in the top 5% and had an unweighted GPA of 3.8.

I’m personally thinking an Ohio Wesleyan, Salisbury, Hofstra, or Montclair State.

I don’t see how a Brandeis, Denison or Oberlin type happen. I think they are super reaches.

Perhaps I’m wrong.

1 Like

Juniata definitely will fit.
Do not bother with Brandeis, Denison or Oberlin.
How about Hobart and William Smith?

2 Likes

when it comes to LACs, i’m totally lost. I’d like to make it known that i’d much prefer not to go to a sub 2000 school, as I place a great deal of value on a social network.

So schools like Hofstra, Salisbury, Maine, Montclair State, some of the lesser SUNYs - an Oswego or Plattsburgh or maybe a New Paltz or Oneonta, Millersville, Bryant, Marist, Drexel, UNH, URI, Adelphi. Quinnipiac, Rowan, Ithaca.

There’s more but this would hit your geography.

Drexel’s PPE major could be a good fit Philosophy, Politics & Economics Degree (BA) | CoAS | Drexel University

Juniata would be a more likely admit than Dickinson, but with a lot of the same strengths https://www.juniata.edu/catalog/courses/ppe.php But it’s smaller than you want.

Adelphi was mentioned, and has this PPE-ish program Ethics Major | Public Policy Major | BA in Ethics & Public Policy

If you want Boston, Suffolk would be a safety, and it’s very law-oriented PPE Curriculum – Politics, Philosophy, and Economics Program

To me, Drexel seems like great combination of the size you want, the urban environment, a perfect-fit academic program, a very inclusive school in terms of learning disabilities, with highly-regarded support programs (which you may not need, but it means Admissions sees a lot of situations like yours and understands, and your experiences would be normalized on campus), and a co-op model which would give you a lot of great practical experience. Easy to take the train to NYC. Well-known and well-regarded name, but not a “hail Mary” reach.

Another urban New England school with amazing basketball fandom and a good balance of reputation and attainability is Providence College. https://academics.providence.edu/social-science-2/ It has a lower acceptance rate than Drexel, but also a lower median GPA (and virtually the same median SAT) so I think it’s still a realistic target.

It’s hard to know what to call a “match” when you’re such a “supersplitter,” as you say. You can take your shot at lower-odds schools, but make sure you have less-rejective schools that you could be happy with.

3 Likes

OP may want to take a look at Drew University an LAC in Madison NJ. The acceptance rate is ~75% range. It’s an hour from NYC with strong train access. As I recall, they have a relatively well regarded political science department.

2 Likes