Chance/Match me! ADHD student applying as Prelaw [NJ resident, 3.0 GPA, 1550 SAT]

thank you! with the feedback, I think drexel is definitely going onto the list.

It’s a reach (9% have a 3.25 or lower) but they weight heavily the ACT so that’s good. Just make sure you don’t put all attention there. It’s a co op school so check into that too.

Scroll to sections C7 and C11.

https://drexel.edu/~/media/Files/institutionalresearch/Factbook/CDS_2022-2023.ashx?la=en

1 Like

These majors are fine for law school. But so is majoring in theatre, math, psychology, Russian studies, anthropology, biology, art, dance . . . You get my drift. There is zero benefit of majoring in political science either to 1) help you get into law school or 2) to help you once you’re in law school. Law school admissions offices do not care at all about what you majored in. And, the study of political science, econ, philosophy has about as much to do with what you’ll study and learn in law school as does studying dance. I’d strongly encourage you to study what you like, and that you’re likely to do well in, whether that’s political science or art history.

5 Likes

thanks for the reply. I do really want to study philosophy, but my parents are understandably worried about me should i for any reason be unable to go to law school. what are some majors that balance decent job prospects with humanities studies like that?

I would think long and hard about law. In my opinion it’s a profession that isn’t well suited for someone with adhd. Speaking as a former lawyer and parent of an adhd son.

Many legal jobs need attention to detail. And sitting in an office for 10-12 hours a day. Not saying you won’t thrive, you might! Just would urge you to think about it.

3 Likes

With an acceptance rate of 83%, I think Drexel may be a real possibility if your guidance counselor can explain the ADHD and medication issues, especially since you are full pay. We’ve had students from our local high school accepted with as low as an 81 GPA, 1220 SAT. If you really like Drexel, you might want to consider applying ED. Or if you want to highlight excellent first semester senior grades, RD may be the better choice. Another possible school in Philadelphia is Temple.

Philosophy majors typically don’t go on to become philosophers and is actually one of the higher paying majors outside. Philosophy majors also score the highest on LSATs.

Certainly make a push for Rutgers, they have a world class philosophy department. Plan on applying early action. Another great fit might be Pitt one of the top undergrad Philosophy programs and located in a great college city (also apply early)

If your looking for something smaller, go visit Fordham and Holy Cross. Im not sure you would get in RD but they do like test scores and they love ED students.

https://dailynous.com/2019/05/13/varied-careers-philosophy-majors/

1 Like

My nephew is going to Pitt, same situation, great test scores, lower GPA, late ADHD diagnosis/medication (summer before senior year), overshot a lot, only got off one waitlist this summer. It’s a great school (my daughter applied but the merit was too low)

2 Likes

What does this mean? Do you think undergrad schools have some sort of influence on law school admissions
because they don’t.

1 Like

Or second after math majors
 perhaps because both philosophy and math majors get lots of practice with logic in their majors, which likely makes the LSAT’s logic puzzle section easier for them than for political science, English, etc. majors.

Outside the “brand name” schools, and your willingness to aim high, here a possible safety in NYC proximity:

Of course, you’ll already know about:

You might end up with options that better suit your preferences, but it will be good to have a few acceptances in your pocket.

3 Likes

Did you take the PSAT? If so, does your score indicate the possibility of becoming a NMSF?

1 Like

These sites analyze economics departments by faculty scholarship in the field, and may offer you ideas for colleges to research further:

https://ideas.repec.org/top/top.uslacecon.html

https://ideas.repec.org/top/top.usecondept.html

Regarding your interest in philosophy, this site suggests schools, and includes Rutgers:

1 Like

Okay, philosophy majors at schools that are within an 8-hr drive of NYC with sports enthusiasm. To look into sports enthusiasm, I am using the Niche grades for “College Athletics” which I believe is graded based off student survey responses. So not super official, but better than nothing. The schools in bold are those that had a higher number/proportion of philosophy majors in the most recent year of IPEDS data, which can be an indication of the number of faculty, electives, etc.

Extremely Likely (80-99+%)

• George Mason (VA): B+ athletic grade (#325 of 1356), about 27k undergrads
  • Quinnipiac (CT): A- athletics grade (#154 out of 1356), about 6100 undergrads
  • Towson (MD): A- athletics grade (#196 or 1356)

Likely (60-79%)

• Loyola Maryland: A- athletics grade (#225 of 1356), about 4k undergrads; part of a consortium where you can take classes at other colleges like Johns Hopkins and Goucher
  • Seton Hall (NJ): A athletics grade (#95 of 1356), about 6k undergrads
  • Temple (PA ): A athletics grade (#103 of 1356), about 24k undergrads, test blind but an 80% acceptance rate
  • U. of Delaware: A athletics grade (#69 of 1356), about 19k undergrads
  • U. of Rhode Island: A- athletics grade (#180 of 1356), about 15k undergrads

Toss-Up (40-59%)

• Howard (D.C.): B+ athletic grade (#423 of 1356), HBCU with about 9800 undergrads
  • Merrimack (MA): A- athletics grade (#151 out of 1356), about 4200 undergrads; test blind which does not help you, but a 75% acceptance rate, so

• U. at Buffalo (NY): A- athletics grade (#161 of 1356), about 21k undergrads which would cost the same amount as Rutgers-New Brunswick as they offer a flagship match.

Lower Probability (20-39%)

• Fairfield (CT): B+ athletic grade (#343 of 1356), about 4800 undergrads
  • Fordham (NY): B+ athletic grade (#362 of 1336), about 10k undergrads (which offers EA, ED1 & ED2)
  • Sacred Heart (CT): A- athletics grade (#181 of 1356), about 6800 undergrads, test blind

Low Probability (less than 20%)

• Villanova (PA ): A athletics grade (#9 of 1356) (which offers EA as well as ED1 and ED2)
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.