Chance & Match me: Chinese [international student] female, 4.06/4.00 GPA, 1500 SAT, bio/bme

Demographics

• State/Location of residency: Chinese
  • Type of high school: Public School (relatively small)
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional): Female

Intended Major(s)

• biotechnology

• biomedical engineering

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: N/A
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.06/4.00
  • Class Rank: N/A (maybe around top 10%)
  • ACT/SAT Scores:1500
  • TOEFL: 100+ ( I will take it again…maybe next time will be 105+

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))

7 AP classes (5555554) + 2 more senior year

Awards
British Biology Olympiad Global Gold
Brain Bee National Championship Second Prize
Canadian Chemistry Contest Silver Award & Special Merit
HOSA Health Education National Bronze
AP Scholar with Distinction
Australian Mathematics Competition Distinction

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)
-biomed research
-review paper (accepted by an international conference)
-environment research project, leader
-student government
-debate club
-detective TV series, president
-herbs plantation

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)
not sure yet, maybe 75k-80k per year?

Schools
I plan to apply for unis in USA by chance, so I’m not sure about the school list. Currently, I have applied UCs (UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UCD, UCI). I really appreciate it, if you can give me some suggestions about rd schools.

1 Like

If you can pay $80,000 a year for college here, that’s fine. The UCs and CSUs should be affordable, although it’s likely costs will increase while you are a student at a UC, so account for that. Also, I’m not sure if theCOA for these schools include health insurance, and transportation…both things you will need.

You have a fine admissions profile. Good luck to you.

@Gumbymom

1 Like

UC’s have their own GPA calculation which uses only 10-11th grades from the a-g course requirements. Only AP/IB courses taken during this time get the extra Honors point bump. The UC’s consider unweighted UC GPA, Capped weighted and Uncapped weighted GPA’s in their application review.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

The UC’s are test blind so your SAT score will not be used for admissions or scholarship consideration and only for course placement.

Overall you are a competitive applicant as long as the UC’s are affordable you do have a chance at some of the UC’s.

Note that UCSB does not offer Bioengineering or Biotechnology.

Bioengineering is highly competitive. For many of the campuses, this major is a selective/capped/impacted.

Here are some Bioengineering admit rates for the UC’s:

Campus Bioengineering
UC Berkeley 9.1%
UC Davis No data but <39%
UC Irvine 34.2%
UCLA 6.4%
UC Merced 92%
UC Riverside 90%
UC San Diego No data but <10% Capped major. Bioinformatics no data also a capped major.
UC Santa Barbara Major not available
UC Santa Cruz 66%

UCLA, UCSD and UCB are Reach schools. UCI would be a Low Reach/High Target. UCD is a Low Reach/High Target for Bioengineering and probably closer to a Target for Biotechnology.

UCSB could be a Reach to a High Target depending upon the major you will apply.

Good luck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.