Chance/Match My Unicorn! ISO biochem, fashion, WARM weather, ADHD [MD resident, 3.7 UW, 1400 SAT, <$31k]

@tsbna44 We will qualify for need-based aid (including a Pell, based on the new rules)… Based on the NPCs I’ve run it looks like many of the schools will be in range, though it’s hard to predict merit at many. I figure better to apply to more rather than fewer?

And agreed that UMD is a target at best and they would rather get out of state, if possible. Towson is a much safer bet and better fit in some ways, IMO.

thanks for your feedback!

Just a heads up that the new FAFSA (which hasn’t been released yet) requires the financial information of whichever parent provides the most financial support in the prior-prior year , whether or not they are the custodial parent.

@kelsmom , is this correct?

Maybe look at UNCA.

It’s only a party of one but I know a local ‘weirdo’ and ‘eclectic’ type by societal standards - purple hair, nose rings, unusual interests etc and she faltered at Eckerd. So check the vibe. Visit, talk to kids or talk to a student ambassador online at the least. From what I’ve heard from many (I go to St Pete for work) - it’s a huge huge huge party school - lots of drugs.

As I don’t have a kid there I can’t say for sure. But the kid we know that was her struggle.

Just do your homework is what I’m saying.

Yes, this is correct. In some families, the child lives with and is supported by the parent who earns less. However, in other families, the higher earner provides more of the child’s support (including child support, payments for needs, etc) even if the child doesn’t live with them. It is different than it was in the past, when the rule was to use the parent the child lived with most in the past 12 months. Here is a link that may be of use: NASFAA AskRegs: Who Is the Parent Of Record On the FAFSA Starting In 2024-25?.

1 Like

I think that Watauga would be right up their alley.
Watauga application is due Jan 15 but EA is Nov1 for Honors& scholarships. (It’s possible to be in Watauga -70s/experiential learning college - and honors at the same time).
https://watauga.appstate.edu/about-watauga/how-apply

I think @creekland’s son went to Eckerd ?

I’m a merit chaser. I agree. Use your slots.

You need 1-2 I will get in and I can afford.

After that some I may get in and they’re known to provide enough $$ to get me there.

Then some I’ll apply knowing if I do get in there’s a possibility to afford.

But apply to none you 100% can’t and will never be able to afford - so you need to have schools in your case that will meet need or offer enough to get to your price.

Applying to a UCLA, for example - would not - as you are OOS and wouldn’t get anything. You aren’t doing that - just an example.

But to ensure $30k - you need a W Carolina, Alabama, Ms State - those type schools. Maybe Towson is that school for you. How about Salisbury ?

Might want to check out Lynn University. Warm, specialized support, 3,500 students and has a conservatory, so lots of musicians around. And he should get a good amount of merit.

4 Likes

Well, Baton Rouge is warm and diverse. Maybe consider Louisiana State University: they have a Textile Science concentration under their Textiles, Apparel, and Merchandising major (plus Biochem and Art majors). Textiles, Apparel & Merchandising Major | LSU

Of course, it is a large state school with all the pros (school spirit, lots of academic programs) and cons (may be challenging for ADHD kid to navigate, not likely to give lots of aid to out-of-state applicants).

1 Like

Several people have already mentioned it but when I hear very diverse, eclectic and hippie, Agnes Scott just jumps out. They struck me as all of that. In the (all virtual) interactions my D22 and I had with them, they gave me the all around warm and fuzzy feeling of being a really great and caring school. And Atlanta definitely has warm weather :grinning: They will likely meet your budget as well. They are small but cooperate with larger schools in the area, so access to specialized classes should be available.

Rhodes came in under 30K for us with a combination of merit and FA, but hippie and quirky was not my impression of the school.

5 Likes

Actually, when we visited LSU (a few years back), they were finetuning their OOS aid or trying to - because the Bamas and MS States/Ole Miss of the world were eating their lunch.

So it might be worth a flyer.

For what it’s worth, my daughter LOVED LOVED LOVED the campus. It’s rather compact, it’s nice - it was the lack of Jewish life (far worse than the Hillel guide said per the director) that took it off the list.

So while not easy to get to (you can fly there on a small plane or New Orleans and it’s an hour drive) - it might end up affordable. I think running the NPC or checking on merit scholarship - could make it possible.

Caveats: Louisiana has been cutting university budgets and public universities have really struggled. The newly-elected governor promises to continue and the vibe may not be very welcoming to unicorns.

New Orleans is a bit culturally different from the rest of LA and has 2 colleges worth mentioning, Loyola New Orleans and Tulane, but neither seems a good fit.

In terms of fit, UNC-A may be the right vibe, though nothing textile related. The artist retreat vibe in town may appeal though and FWIW there are quite a few thrift stores in the area for such a small town; in addition, this took place a month ago, so it may be woeth it to email the professor and express interest in her work.

Some great suggestions above. It’s not small by any means…but what about VCU? Specifically known for outstanding arts programs but within the context of a comprehensive public university. When you have that many dancers/sculptors/musicians/painters/weavers/etc. in one place, the area is going to have some eclectic and quirky energy. Cost-wise, sticker is $52k OOS but this student would qualify for a minimum of $12k/yr in merit, so at least a chance of getting to budget.

I saw that Arkansas was mentioned above - I know a student who is majoring in fashion merchandising there and having a great experience, and STEM would be easily accommodated. Warm(-ish?) weather, beautiful campus, would come in around $33k COA. But also pretty large, and not especially known for a quirky vibe.

4 Likes

Maybe Texas Tech? Sciences are strong, and they have studio art (BA and BFA) and fashion merchandising, plus relevant research https://www.depts.ttu.edu/fbri/

1 Like

I realize that I forgot to mention in my earlier post (#19) that most of the schools I mentioned had textile science or something similar. So that would be LSU, WKU, Appalachian State, UNCG, ECU, MTSU, Towson, and Hawaii.

2 Likes

Thanks, tsbna. Really appreciate that tip.

Check out UNT in Denton, TX. It’s a very fly under the radar public school. Artsy, diverse. Incredible music scene and very creative student body, but has good science programs as well. I know they have a fashion major so will have lots to offer in that area. Take a look and let us know what you think!

3 Likes

And like many of the non-flagship publics in Texas, it frequently grants in-state tuition to OOS applicants. I believe the deal at UNT is that if the school awards you ANY scholarship of $1,000 or more, they ALSO give the OOS tuition waiver.

2 Likes

that is great info thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.