Chance/Match New England Student [4.0, 1510] for Statistics/International Relations :))

Demographics

• US Domestic
  • State/Location of residency: MA
  • Public High School

Intended Major(s)

Statistics
International Relations
Economics

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): Doesn’t Calculate (But taken Max #s of Honors/APs if possible)
  • Class Rank: Not Report
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1510 (Superscore)

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))
5 APs Taken include Stats, APUSH, Micro + 4 APs Senior yr

Awards
AP Scholar w/ Distinction
Book Award From a Top 30 University
TA Excellence Award from a local program

Extracurriculars

• Founder/Officer of School Math Competition Team w/ 2 National Finalist in Competitions
  • Model UN Captain ($6000+ Fundraising)
  • Varsity Debate Member
  • Data Science Camp Volunteer + Head TF + Program Coordinator (Summer 9th, 10th, 11th)
  • Develop + Help Modify College-level Data Science Textbook
  • Highest Level in Piano Audition for High Schoolers (9th + 10th)
  • Research (Maybe publish two?)
  • Varsity Badminton

Summer School (2 Weeks)?

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

I would assume my LORs are ok cause I got a very close relationship with teachers and counselor helping out.

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
    Bentley
    Syracuse
    Elon
    Trinity
    Umass Amherst (EA)

• Target
    U of Rochester (Offered Scholarship Opportunity)
    Babson (EA)
    Boston College
    Boston University
    Rutgers (Maybe Safety?)

• Likely (This is the one in the original template)
    NYU
    Rice
    Notre Dame
    Vanderbilt
    Wake
    UMich

• Hard Reach (I would cry if I got any of them)
    Duke (Dream School + ED)
    Cornell
    Georgetown
    Brown
    Yale? - daydreaming lol

Thx so much for feedback + suggestions, & my sincerest gratitude to the developer of this wonderful platform. Best of luck to everybody!

1 Like

Congratulations! You have a very good profile.

Boston U will be a low reach IMO, because of their low acceptance rate and not applying ED. All your likelies are reaches (except maybe Wake).

What is your budget? What can your family comfortable afford to pay? Do you qualify for need based aid?

2 Likes

Any more demographics - first Gen., minority ? Don’t forget the court ruling didn’t say race couldn’t be used. It said as a stand alone. So if it’s in an essay it will still be seen.

If a Caucasian student with no hooks the BU is a reach - even ED but definitely RD. BC too. Rochester abd Babson hard targets. Possible but not assured. Yes Rutgers will happen.

None if your likelies are likely. Wake maybe a hard target. The others reaches.

Can you afford these ?

1 Like

I would agree with others that both BU and BC are reaches, unless you applied to either of them ED. BC had around a 15% acceptance rate last year, and BU was similar.

I always recommend people interested in IR check out the undergraduate portion of this list:

One of the interesting observations is that Duke, say, is only ranked 26, Boston University is only ranked 41, and Boston College isn’t on the list at all.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t apply to Duke or BU (or BC if it really sings to you). But there are a decent number of colleges that are not as hard to get into as colleges like those that are higher ranked for IR.

Two of the really obvious ones are George Washington and American. It is hard to beat being in DC if you are an IR person, and those colleges really leverage that.

William & Mary is another great IR college and they have a really cool joint degree program with St Andrews as well (you spend 2 years at each), with IR being one of the allowed majors. Also hard to beat actually spending time in, and getting a degree from, an international school like St Andrews if you are into IR.

Finally, the Korbel School at the University of Denver is a great IR school in a great city, and the University of Denver has a fairly robust merit aid program. Syracuse is a great choice too, but if you are looking for a different vibe/setting, I think the University of Denver merits serious consideration.

5 Likes

First, I would like to congratulate you on your accomplishments. If a school is a reach it does not mean you are not deserving of an acceptance.

BU and BC are reaches. Your likely schools are reaches, with the exception of Wake which may be a tough target (not a likely).

I believe you will be accepted to Rutgers and your safety schools look good - as long as they are affordable.

Did Rochester give you an amount for the scholarship? When my daughter got the Bausch and Lomb (not sure if you are referencing one of the HS awards from UR) they were not able to commit to an amount until you were accepted (she didn’t apply).

1 Like

You have an excellent background. I would be cautious on any embellishment or overstatement that might hurt you. Not sure MA has actually recognized Badminton as a varsity sport. I could be wrong, but would hate to see that hurt you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.