Chance Me: Average/below average student in a very strong high school. [MD resident, 3.63, sports management, journalism, communications, marketing]

I would recommend reconsidering. Each offers unique programs that could serve your academic goals.

I don’t see the Sports program at U of SC on the list. Just Clemson. Not good for Jews imho. Maybe I missed it but I think U of SC is a reach and that major will be hard.

My daughter liked U of SC but there’s not a lot of Jewish life. So if that’s important. It’s why I recommended Bama. Much more.

Don’t really care about that tbh. As long as it’s not straight up discriminatory, I wouldn’t necessarily mind not having Jewish friends

1 Like

@tsbna44 the poster listed South Carolina in their OP. and I agree it’s a good choice for sports management.

@Curiosity24 please tell us why you omitted Miami, Towson and WVU from consideration, as this can help us with additional suggestions
if you would like those.

I wanted something more rah-rah than Towson and Miami of OH. As for WVU my parents didn’t like the reputation that precedes it and don’t want me in that environment

University of Delaware? Happy students, very nice campus, active Hillel.

2 Likes

I know he did. But he’s hopeful on ACM. And it’ll be fine for Jewish life but likely not robust.

OP issue is his parents don’t want to pay OOS tuition but the one in state he has is a far reach. He’s hoping for in state at U of SC but admission itself will be difficult but easier than UMD. He’s hoping to use the ACM. I see Clemson on the list but not u of SC. It may be there. I may have just overlooked.

Not sure of WVU’s rep. Party rep ? So does Syracuse and Tulane and UMD and IU etc.

Frankly WVU, U of SC,IU - they’re all interchangeable - especially when a degree is journalism.

OP needs more in state or his parents need to realize they’ll be $40k (Arizona) and up.

I second your suggestion of Ohio University.

1 Like

I know many kids to have gone to WVU, but admittedly fewer to the others so I can’t necessarily compare.

Many kids I know have found WVU rough, with bad experiences with SA and hard drugs, in addition to a disjointed campus that can be hard to traverse. My own kids are at other state schools and they do not have the stories or exposures that the WVU kids have.

These stories are anecdotal, but I have heard enough of them from enough different kinds of kids to appreciate the poster’s parents’ perspective. While I am sure that many kids are able to get a fine education at WVU, if the parents don’t think it’s the right fit for their child I think we can be just as respectful of that decision as we can of preferring a campus that’s more accepting of a certain religion/ethnicity/orientation, and not continue to push it or ask for other justification from the family nixing it.

3 Likes

I agree that IU is likely, and suspect that Appalachian State and James Madison might be more of toss-ups. Otherwise, your list is probably pretty appropriately categorized.

One school that is completely different from what you’ve listed that you might want to consider is Susquehanna. Why? It has a lot of opportunities to get hands-on practice with the areas you’re interested in and has an alumni network that can help you with where you seem like you want to go. And in the communications/journalism field, that hands-on practice is crucial to make a career of it. The school has 4+ student-led sports productions per week. There are also three minor league teams in the area (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton) where you may be able to get some professional experience, too (Penguins (AHL team), Shock (National Premier Soccer League), and RailRiders (AAA baseball)). And if you had a resource class for the first three years of high school, going to a school where you’re going to have smaller classes with more individualized attention might be very beneficial.

The school’s Net Price Calculator includes a section for academic information, so you can get an idea of a minimum level of merit aid that you might receive:

1 Like

That’s exactly why my parents are against it. Too many stories of friends kids ending up in a bad crowd or something of that nature

I get it. There are hard drugs at most schools as I’ve learned from many of my kids friends. More than parents would want to know.

Just seeking adequate ‘financial’ safeties for this student with a Jewish existence.

It’s true that there’s partying at almost all schools, but its extent and influence varies (for example, are there other fun/social activities for students to participate in on/around campus?). That’s why some schools are viewed as “party schools” and others not, even though I’m sure there is some level of partying happening at those other schools too.
I don’t know much about WVU but if that’s what OP’s parents feel about it, I’m guessing they’ve done some research.

1 Like

@Curiosity24 please do not call yourself average/below average. Md is a very competitive state and you are doing well. If I were in your situation I would love UofA and ASU as legitimate options. UMD should hopefully be realistic as well but they fill most of their spots EA so get your app in early. (UMD tends to take large portions of kids from certain schools). Best of luck.

3 Likes

:100:

6 Likes

What kind of resources were you receiving? Even if you’re not taking this class senior year, the rigor of your classes will likely be much higher in college than your high school ones. If you have any kind of IEP, I would make sure that your evaluation has been within the past 3 years. You don’t need to disclose anything to colleges when you apply, but once you select a school, you can register for services. It’s better to register and be eligible for services than to try without and then realize that you need them.

A few questions for you to think about:

• How do you think you will do in classes where nobody tracks your attendance?
  • How do you think you will do with large lecture classes (100s of students) that might have a small breakout section of 20-30 students that meets once a week?
  • How do you think you would do with class sizes with up to 50 students? 20-30 students? Fewer than 20 students?

This is good advice: keep you services! But I was thinking a resource class might be another name for a study hall.

1 Like

So to be clear you are indifferent to a Jewish presence?

Correct.

1 Like

It is a class where a teacher can help with any work you have. I was probably the only one that treated it like a study hall however.