Chance Me for Accounting/Finance at NYU, USC, UVA, UMich Emory, Columbia, Wake Forest

Demographics

• US dual citizen - US and Israel
  • New York (LI)
  • Public HS
  • White/Middle Eastern

Intended Major(s)

• Major in Accounting/Finance/Economics (dif for select colleges but applied for business school if available)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.83
  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.12 (Don’t really know how they weight it but highest weighted in my school that I’ve seen was 4.29 if that helps)
  • Class Rank: school doesn’t have
  • Only took SAT once: 800 Math 660 Reading

Coursework

• 10 APs (2 Sophmore; 3 Junior; 5 Senior)
  • AP Biology: 5 | AP US History: 4 | AP Statistics: 4 | AP Lang: 3 | AP World History: 3
  • Taking Now (In my senior year): AP Calc AB, AP Lit, AP Physics 1, AP Macro, AP Spanish

Awards
Not good ones but for schools that I’m applying too imo but:

• DECA Regional Winner
  • National Honors Society
  • World Languages Honor Society
  • AP Scholar with Distinction Award

Extracurriculars

• Volunteered for community service in Ecuador over the summer (built houses, painted worn-down buildings, and protected endangered animals on Galapagos Islands)
  • Played Tennis throughout the school year and competed in USTA tournaments
  • Visited National Parks in the US (Zion, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc) and studied wildlife and plants
  • Enrolled in an online course through a website called edX where I learned the fundamentals of the blockchain, Bitcoin, and other Cryptocurrencies
  • Wrote articles for a student-run magazine on NFTs. Participated in editing and idea meetings
  • Volunteer/Assistant Teacher for a local organization that did activities and taught elementary students
  • Competed on Varsity Tennis and won state championship 2022
  • DECA Club all years in high school
  • Kadama (online) tutor

Schools (said in the title thing but again won’t hurt)
Most if not all are reaches imo because I had direct admission into Indiana Kelley which my dad said I would go to over any other colleges if I had applied

• University of Virginia (ED but got deferred)
  • University of Southern California (EA but got deferred)
  • Emory University
  • New York University - Stern
  • Wake Forest University
  • University of Michigan - Ross
  • Columbia University (ik prob rejection but just sent it bc my dad went)

Outcomes Already (if you care)

• Accepted: Indiana University Bloomington Kelley, Binghamton University
  • Deferred: UVA, USC
  • Rejected: UNC, UT Austin
2 Likes

Congrats, you have two great options already! Did you submit your test scores? How were your first semester senior year grades? My guess is you’ll get a few more acceptances but impossible to tell which schools as all are reaches as you noted (Wake a likely acceptance ED, but RD will be tougher).

1 Like

I don’t understand what you mean by, “I had direct admission into Indiana Kelley which my dad said I would go to over any other colleges if I had applied.” In any event, you’ve been accepted there, and to SUNY Binghamton.

I think that your best bet is probably going to be SUNY Binghamton, for the combination of academics and low cost. I think you will get into Wake Forest. Possibly Michigan, when all is said and done, meaning might be off their wait list. I don’t think you’ll get into Columbia, and the rest of them are doubtful, but possible.

Meanwhile, you’re sitting with two EXCELLENT acceptances, one of which is highly affordable for you as a NYS resident. Congratulations! If you wind up at SUNY Binghamton, that’s great. For what you want to major in, for what you want to study, it has all along probably been your best value, as a NYS resident. If I were your parent, and we were a full-pay family, I’d probably be lobbying for SUNY Binghamton, even if you had gotten into Columbia.

2 Likes

You’ve applied already - so you need to wait.

IU is auto - so that was easy. But did you apply ? You say you are in but also it’d be the top choice if you applied.

The others will be tough - but who cares - IU is your top choice.

Would love to see where you get in - I’m guessing nowhere else RD but - it’s really not relevant since it sounds like you’d choose IU anyway.

Congrats.

Yes, I submitted my test scores to all colleges, and my first-semester senior grades were mainly A- and a few As (my school doesn’t offer A+).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.