Chance me for all the UCs

Why not include UCSC, UCR, and UCM in your UC application?

What the PI worked on in the past is immaterial. Your specific responsibilities, and what you learned while working there, are what matter, just as with any other part-time job.

2 years of internship, but no other math-sci ECs in the hs or outside? Your other activities are fine but for several reasons, they like to see stem kids also involved in hs stem activities.

First gen means your parents didn’t attend and/or graduate college.

If this question is about USC, the gpa is a bit low. Seems to put you under the mid 50%. The risk is when grades less than A are in cores, and especially the cores related to the major.

Assuming 750/750, the RW is ok, about the 75th %ile. But their mid 50 %math score for admits shows 710-790. You can see these figures on their admissions profile page or in the CDS.

Could you chance me for Rice as well?

@lookingforward - Just asking here. Why would high school STEM activities be preferred over a real-life part-time job in an STEM environment? Granted, a part-time job in a lab is not something every kid has access to, while most kids do have access to some STEM EC at their high school. But it seems to me that the part-time job in XYZ for a kid who can get it, makes better sense for that kid interested in XYZ than some other random part-time job or EC-type experience in XYZ.

@happymomof1 Both matter. I asked about other math-sci activities, didn’t rate one sort above others.

I dont know if OP is paid, how many hours he’s really there. or what he does. But he says, " I dont have much to show in terms of projects, just confirmation from the head of the chemistry department." And, “…3 highschool students who just help out.”

The other ECs are likely fine. With the gpa and “2-3 Cs in CP classes” (other thread; no idea what courses,) and only the internship, USC sounds iffy.

3.4 UW would make Rice a reach.

If my name is on a research paper that was made by the team, and I do one more EC related to Stem (Helping kids Code) will that greatly boost my chances?

How important are extracurriculars compared to GPA for Rice, and will my SAT make up for GPA if I increase SAT?

Is it more helpful to do a double major, like in music, or is it better to apply for one major generally?

And if there is an upward trend for all semesters GPA wise, does that impact anything?

Like its not drastic, but it gets consistently better, factoring honors and AP classes for weighted GPA

GPA: 3.4 UW, 4.08 W
SAT: 1500
Have not taken Subject tests yet
Ap: APUSH, APP1, APPC, all scores pending (For senior year, AP Chem and Calc AB, Self Studying Ap Music Theory)
Major: Mathematics for computation
I did early college at my highschool, which is a program that lets you graduate with an Associates Degree from highschool, from taking college courses at a local community college
ECs: Eagle scout, Internship at USC relating to Chemistry, 4 years of Marching band as a sousaphone, section leader for 1 year, CM LVL 8 for Piano, Classical Karnatic Music for 9 years, KCA (Kannada Cultural Association) Youth committee president for 1 year (worked on organizing fundraisers, community activities), wind ensemble at school, trumpet for 4 years, Tae Kwon Do for 6 years and 2nd degree black belt (Not sure if this counts because it was in middle school)
Hooks: First gen, parents were immigrants from India,

PS: I wasn’t sure if this is important, but for the USC Internship, I have done 2 years, but I dont have much to show in terms of projects, just confirmation from the head of the chemistry department. The Intership only has 3 highschool students who just help out, but the work seems to be pretty important, the head of the project worked with a team to win a nobel prize in Carbocations via superacids, and the project right now is replacing normal fuel like gasoline with ethanol. Would mentioning or going into detail about this in my transcript be beneficial?

An upward GPA/Grade trend is always helpful but you keep asking for assurances from CC posters which no one can give you. The best thing you can do is identify and apply to a couple of safety schools where you would be happy to attend and then fill out the rest of your list with some Match and few Reach schools. Other than your GPA, you have a competitive application so it will all be up to the admissions to determine if you will be a good fit.

Remember where you go for Undergrad will not define you, it is what you do with the opportunities you are given that will make you successful.