Chance Me for Boarding Schools (Repeat Junior Year, Athlete):

Hi I’m a current junior applying for boarding and I’m choosing to repeat my junior year

The schools I’m applying to are: Choate, Groton, and Hotckiss
Race: Asian, White
Applying for FA
Test: PSAT (took this year, 99th percentile, 640 Reading, 730 Math), SAT superscored (700 Reading 760 Math)
Grades
9th grade
English Honors - A
Turkish 2 - A
Pre-Calc Honors - A
Pre-AP Bio (Honors) - A
AP Chem - A
APUSH - A
Introduction to Engineering (Honors) - A

10th grade:
English Honors - A
Turkish 3 Honors - A
AP Calc AB - A
AP Bio - A
AP Comp Sci A - A
AP World - A
Principles of Engineering (Honors)

11th Grade - One Semester:
Straight A’s in semester one taking all AP classes (7 APs)

ECs
Science Olympiad - 4 yrs, became a captain this year, one of the top teams in the state (make states every year and place high at states)
Robotics - joined this year
Hockey

The only school I’ll have an interview with is Choate (which I had today). My interviewer seemed to like me and it helped that she was the head coach of the women’s varsity hockey team

Note: The only school that is actively recruiting me is Groton. I’ve toured their campus on a not official tour by one of the hockey players and have met the assistant coach when he came to one of our games and the tour. My coach has been talking to their head coach and says that I have a good chance to get in???
I haven’t had any other contact with the other schools however I plan on contacting the coach at Choate on my own.

2 Likes

You are basically guaranteed to get into at least one. That is exactly what they are looking for in a 11th grade transfer: athlete, whilst being 99th percentile academics. My brother transfered to Choate as a 11th grader with similar stats (less APs) and got into every school he applied to Exeter, Andover, Choate, Deerfield, Milton. However, I’m curious as to how the sports would work? I doubt the league lets people repeat years in athletics (extra eligibility) without injury reasons. Good luck!

3 Likes

Repeats are allowed - there are lots.

If you’re recruited it helps a lot. If you get into groton come back to me for advice about attending. Junior year transfers have trouble - it’s a rough year and every straight A kid I know who’s done it has had grades that seriously slipped. At the same time they were not able to keep up with their sport outside of school and had worse college outcomes than predicted pre-groton.

1 Like

How does the Choate ice hockey facility compare to Hotchkiss and Groton?

I’ve only toured Groton so far. They’re ice rink is really nice

1 Like

NEPSAC is the only league in the country which allows reclassification, as they take PG into account. You still need to fulfill all of the NCAA requirements/standards in four years, though.

1 Like

So I would have to complete all my credits for graduation in 4 years? I think I only need one more english credit but I’m curious

1 Like

The NCAA eligibility requirements are different from graduation requirements.

1 Like