Chance me for Computer Sci [3.7 HS GPA, 1440 SAT, IB DP plus some college courses in high school, <$40k]

Demographics

• US domestic (US citizen or permanent resident)
  • State/Location of residency: Oregon
  • Type of high school (current college for transfers): Public
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional): Asian
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.):

Intended Major(s) Computer Science

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: ~3.7
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): ~4.1
  • Class Rank:
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1440 (680 Reading&Writing, 760 Math)

Coursework
IB Diploma Candidate
IB Physics HL
IB TOK SL
IB Art SL
IB Lang & Lit HL
IB Math AA HL
IB Spanish SL
IB World Religion SL

10 Honors Semesters taken out of available 12

Dual Enrollment: Intro to UNIX/Linux, Computer Science I, Computer Science II, Statistics I (All A’s)

Awards
2 Gold Keys, 1 Silver Key, 1 Honorable Mention, Scholastic Art Awards
Qualifier, International Essay Contest (Not going to specify for CC purposes)
Silver&Bronze Certificate, Congressional Award
Gold Level (3 Years), Presidential Volunteer Service Award

Extracurriculars
Website Development (Founder, Lead Developer): Developed app due to math scarcity in district. 30+ users. Auto-generate higher-level math problems & answers. Used in 2 schools & 2 tutoring centers. (This is the gem of my ECs section. I added a linked to my deployed app on my application)

Finance/Fundraising Secretary (Founding Member): Ran monthly presentations, led design on logistical deadlines, helped managed accounting. Contacted 20+ businesses to raise $1,400+ for scholarships.

Programming Co-Lead for FRC Robotics(Leader) (FRC Judges Award (2022))

Computer Programming Club Team Lead (Leader):

Code Ninjas Intern

Tutoring; 450+ hours. Over 4 years. Mentored 20+ K-8 students. Created supplemental lessons in math, physics & programming.

Junior Lifeguard (Cert. Volunteer)

NHS

Essays/LORs/Other
Strong?; This is subjective so I won’t put too much here

Cost Constraints / Budget
Would like cost to be under 40K net price

Are you transferring…or are you currently a HS student?

1 Like

Seeing the tag on your post I assume you’re asking only about your chances at Case Western?

Have you already applied or is this for the future?

Are you a current junior, or senior? (or transfer?)

Do you have a college list, or were you hoping that people would suggest schools? I see a CWRU tag on the post, but no college list.

Sorry for the confusion. I am a highschool senior

Oh wait is this not the way to do this? Sorry I’m still finding my way around this website

Are you asking for chances for CWRU only?

You are not a transfer student. You might want to change that in your OP.

I can’t edit my post, but to clarify: I am a high school senior. Not a transfer

Provide us with a little more information. Where did you apply other than CWRU? Have you been admitted anywhere?

Have you run the net price calculator on the web site of CWRU and any other college of interest?

Are there other colleges of interest besides CWRU?

1 Like

I thought I posted this in the CWRU forum… guess not?

No this post was purely about CWRU

I edited your post to remove the transfer line.

1 Like

You did that correctly.

Oh and I got deferred EA

Please use https://case.edu/financialaid/resources/net-price-calculator-and-myintuition/net-price-calculator to check for affordability at CWRU.

If the net price comes out to over $40k, then your chances must be based on a large-enough scholarship, not just admission. But also note that scholarships and need-based financial aid often do not fully “stack”.

It means that you are not a clear admit (from CWRU’s point of view), meaning that you are (from CWRU’s point of view) borderline at best (and if CWRU rarely rejects in the early round, you could be a clear reject who will be notified of such in the regular round).

Note that CWRU offers ED I and ED II in order to give applicants a chance to show a high level of interest that is presumably considered important, but you presumably did not apply that way.

So your chances may not be that good. Have you been admitted to other affordable schools?

If you continued to show interest after your EA deferral (CWRU values demonstrated interest), you have a chance of acceptance. Your bigger challenge will be meeting your budget, unless you qualify for need-aid. I do not think merit scholarships will get you to that budget. Did you run the NPC?

1 Like

Not yet, but I will do it tonight with my parents. Thank you for the advice!

1 Like

They might accept you @smy but they are stingy with $$. This is a school that charges prospective med students to become scribes!

yeah I heard some rumors about them being rly stingy. Hope I can get the net price to sub 50k tho! that’d be great