Chance me for Emory/URochester/UFlorida/UW Madison

Demographics
Asian (Korean) male, International

• State/Location of residency: (state is important if you apply to any state universities)
    International School in Vietnam

• Type of high school (current college for transfers):
    American Curriculum (Offers both IB & AP)

Intended Major(s)
Political Science

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.78/4.33 (3.72/4.00)

• Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.10/4.33 (4.04/4.00)
    System: A+ = 4.33, A = 4.00, and so on. A+ is converted to an A to compute a GPA out of 4.00 (In parentheses). The weighted GPA for AP courses is out of 5.0, others remain at 4.00 or 4.33

• College GPA (for transfers): N/A

• Class Rank: N/A

• ACT/SAT Scores: 1500 (710 RW / 790 Math)

• TOEFL: 112/120

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))

11 AP Courses and 1 IB Course (Environmental Systems and Societies SL) at school including senior year; Self-studied an additional AP Comparative Government course (not offered in our school) and got a 4. Overall, 4 5’s and 4 4’s.

AP Micro(4), Macro(5), Human Geo(4), World History(4), US History(3), Statistics(5), Calculus BC(5,5), Biology(3), Physics 1(Pending), Computer Science A(Pending), Lang(Pending), Psychology(Pending), Comparative Government (4)

Awards

High Honor Roll for 5/7 semesters, NSDA Scholar of Merit, Science Phoenix Award at school, AP Scholar with Distinction (G10 & G11) - but not listed in my application

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)
-Debate Club VP & President (Grades 9-12)
-Math Tutoring Club Secretary & VP (Grades 10-12)
-Service club to raise funds for the visually impaired - Director of event planning (Grades 9-10)
-Golf team (Vice Captain)
-4 Clarinet Performances at a city UNICEF charity concert

• Teen advisor for a Korean politician’s presidential campaign

Essays/LORs/Other
Essays are very weak. I rushed through them and spotted a few errors after I submitted them. I have a strong feeling that the essay section will break my applications

Cost Constraints / Budget
No cost constraints or budget, wrote annual income is 80000-130000 on common app

Schools
Emory University, University of Rochester, University of Wisconsin Madison, University of Florida (All Regular Decision)

Do I have a chance for any of these schools? Thank you so much for your help!

You have good achievements, but I can’t chance you since there’s so much of your app I don’t know.

Haven’t you received your UF decision? They came out last week.

Did you apply for financial aid? UF and Wisc won’t give you any need based aid, so they might not be affordable.

Have you been accepted anywhere yet whether in the US or elsewhere?

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your response.
For UF - I applied for a space-available basis which means the results will come out in March. I’m also expecting it to be much more competitive than the normal RDs.

I have not applied for financial aid from any universities. I have only applied for RD as I’m also applying to Korea just in case, so I didn’t get accepted anywhere yet.

Thank you!

Makes sense on UF and I agree there will be fewer slots at that point.

Can your family pay $80k per year for Emory and Rochester? If your family income is $80k - $130k they would need significant savings to make that work.

Good luck, I know waiting is difficult.

2 Likes

I have a scarily similar profile to you besides my demographics. I’m from the us and oos to all the schools you listed.

I was deferred from both UF and UW-Madison in the EA rounds

UF doesn’t defer… only admit or deny

My bad…opened the portal half-awake the other day and misread the upper division transfer thing as a deferral. Time to print the letter out and put it on my wall of rejections.

Rochester is an interesting choice. Its freshman class is typically 25-30% international students.

Interesting!

So on an income of $130,000 or less…you have hoping your parents can pay $50,000-$80,000 a year for you to attend college here?

How can your family possibly pay for even public college OOS (usually 50-60K/yr), let alone the 85K/yr for private college, on their stated income? Is it that there are substantial undeclared earnings? Is someone else in the family paying for college for you? Are there very substantial untapped family resources? If yes, that’s great. It sounds as if you would much rather go to college in the US, than in Korea, and if money is no object, it’s definitely still an option, even if you don’t get into any of your stated schools.

Consider putting in an application to a few schools with later deadlines. Some of the less selective public colleges have later deadlines, such as April 1, May 1, even June 1. Some of them might eventually give you some merit money. There are people on this forum who could offer some guidance about applications now to such schools.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.