indian olympiad qualifier in astronomy: top 500/30000
regional math olympiad: one of the youngest to qualify, top 1000/40000
local police dept award for advocating for traffic light
nyt stem writing commended
iranian combinatorics olympiad top 10
FYKOS Physics Brawl top 10
USACO silver
national movie review contest

I’m participating in chem/phy olympiads this year and will include these in RD apps if I obtain a good result. More honors in ECs/add info section. unsure where I’ll put what.

Letters of Recommendation:
chemistry teacher, grade 11: 10/10, good relationship, highlights passion for subject and major project ive worked on, strong emphasis on work ethic
english teacher, grade 12: 8/10: slightly generic, but emphasis on writing development
research mentor chemistry 10/10: world renowned prof, very good relationship, very unique lor

Essays
decent writing, unique content, center around experiences doing inventory at a buddhist monastery, development of a chem reaction project i worked on, challenges ive experienced while scuba diving (more info below) 8/10

Extracurriculars
award winning math blog , combinatorics centric, articles republished on oxford uni website, published book on combinatorics forthcoming, started for students at a math circle i founded

padi certified adv/rescue scuba diver, interned at dive resorts, 50+ dives, perfect scores on licensing tests, participated in ocean cleaning missions, conducted workshops on coral reef protection etc.

science writing: science blog on niche topics in chemistry research, intl essay award, articles also written in collaboration w top chem researchers, one article to be published in national newspaper

developed an online chemistry reaction converter/mechanism generator to be published, exhaustive ochem itinerary

national linguistics olympiad top 50, studied sanskrit scriptures in depth under priest, won local recitation competitions and performed in local fundraising recitals. also studied sanskrit at school for 7 yrs

founder of regional math circle, top 10 in iranian combinatorics olympiad

2 paid internships: one software, worked in pipeline/workflow management on react native, one drone company, employee of the month

tennis: tennis blog on tennis equipment, tournament coverage, have interviewed top 10 players, articles published on WTA website, also worked as racket stringer at local club shop and may include racket designs in optional art supplement.

captain of varsity tennis, table tennis teams, placed 2nd regionals

shadowed propulsion scientist at indian space research organization, wrote reports

developed a twitter sifting algorithm during covid 19 and included on an app, 20000+ users peak, helped people find relevant tweets on medicine, oxy cylinders etc

founded a local aerospace enthusiast circle, identiified meteorite, submitted to NASA challenge, conduct workshops for primary school students in underfunded schools

won a govt recognition award for an initiative to provide home cooked meals for migrant workers during covid 19 crisis in india. also part of ngo in village that recently constructed a tennis court through fundraising

costs:
can reasonably pay $40000 a year, will not apply for financial aid. may take out a student loan for the rest.

Some more background info: I belong to a competitive school that has a track record of about 10 top 20 offers, 2-3 ivies and 1-3 oxbridge admits. This trend has been declining and my class in particular is very competitive. I am also a legacy student at NYU, of a notable alumnus.

schools:
Purdue
NYU
Amherst
UVM
UMich
UW Madison
WashU
UCB
UCLA
UCSD

I am looking for good aerospace/mechE/chemistry programs, with hopefully a minor in science writing. Looking for suggestions on more target, safety and reach schools.

You will be a very competitive applicant. Purdue will be very close to your budget. Just be sure to get your application submitted before the EA deadline.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your achievements.

Are you applying ED to NYU? Make sure to apply EA everywhere that has that option.

All the schools on your list are likely to cost above your budget of $40K, Purdue will be closest to your price. Where will you get loans from (as you won’t be able to access loans in the US)?

Are you applying to schools in your home country, and have an affordable safety school there? UK? EU?

Aerospace engineering can be a tricky major for international students in the US, because many of the coops/internships/jobs require a high level of security clearance and US citizenship. Schools that are good in aerospace (and other engineering) that might meet your price point are Illinois Tech, U Cincinnati, Rochester Institute of Tech, U Miami, Clarkson, U Arizona, Western Mich, Iowa State, U Alabama Huntsville, U Kansas.

4 Likes

I have safety schools in my home country and have already applied to UK universities. All of these are within budget. I’d like to have more options, and want to shoot my shot at American universities. Obtaining a student loan in my home country is not much of an issue. If accepted to any target/reach schools my father is willing to contribute $20000 to tuition, so finances are unlikely to be an issue. I’m also in the running for a bank employee scholarship, which may contribute to 50% of tuition at a US undergraduate program.

I am aware of the issues involving international aerospace engineering majors, and plan on working in my home country post graduation or majoring in chemistry/mechE.

Thank you for your suggestions! Definitely considering Rochester and Arizona.

1 Like

I would add U of Arizona - as it will 100% get you there and it’s fine for Aerospace. UAH is in Huntsville - which is Rocket City USA - in some ways #2 after Houston. Tons of aero firms. Why these two (and I’d find more) - because you can afford them.

Your list is great and you are great- but are any schools affordable - Purdue will be closest? If you can’t afford it, then it’s not worth being on the list. Can you get $40K at these schools - I don’t think most - maybe the privates depending on how your need looks (to them, not you).

Also, if you want aero (and you don’t need to go to aero), not all the schools on your list have it…UVM and Amherst for sure.

Basically, it’s a great list of schools you can’t afford (can’t speak for privates). How about find some you can afford - which is why I recommended the two I did. Mizzou and Mississippi State might be two more to look at that could make cost on your current budget.

Of course, I’m assuming you don’t get the scholarship. If you do, others (but not all) will open up to you. But I would not stretch myself with loans, etc. when you don’t need to. As long as a school has ABET certification, it’s a solid program. I don’t know how to translates into your home country but if you were a domestic student, unless you had verifiable (by the school) demonstrated need, I would redo the entire list - and even if you did have need, the UCs, Michigans would come off due to affordability.

Good luck.

Congratulations on your competitive profile.
The California UC’s are test blind so your SAT score will not be considered in their application review. They are also need-blind for admissions.

The UC’s do not offer need based aid to International applicants and little, very competitive merit aid which is a small amount in comparison to your overall costs. The UC’s cost around $67K/year to attend so well above your $40K budget and expect to be full pay.

UCSD could be a Low Reach school with a 15% International admit rate for 2022. UCLA’s International admit rate was 5.8% so a Reach school and UCB’s International admit rates was 5.5% so again another Reach school.

You have some wonderful accomplishments which could garner you some good merit aid at other schools but not the UC’s.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments! I think you will be a very strong candidate at just about any university in the U.S. That is no guarantee of acceptance, of course, as some of the most competitive universities in the U.S. have far more qualified applicants than there are spots. But I’d be surprised if you didn’t receive several acceptances, come spring.

For private schools like Amherst and Wash U., I would definitely apply for financial aid. Amherst is need-blind for international students, for one. Also, many private schools would be happy for $40k/year and to provide the financial aid to make that a reality for you. There’s no need to go into debt if you don’t have to.

I could have put just about any university in the U.S. on here, and I think you’d stand a legitimate shot at acceptance. My focus, therefore, was on schools in areas that are rich for aerospace engineering (source) that also provide merit aid to international students. I suspect that a number of these schools will ensure they are within your family’s preferred price range. They are listed roughly approximation of chances of acceptance, from least to most likely. But frankly, you are likely for the vast majority of the list.

• New Mexico State
  • U. of Alabama - Huntsville
  • U. of Central Florida
  • U. of Houston (TX)
  • U. of Maryland - Baltimore County
  • George Mason (VA)
  • U. of Dayton (OH)
  • Howard (D.C.) - Historically Black College or University (HBCU)
  • U. of Texas - Dallas
  • U. of Kansas
  • San Diego State (CA)
  • U. of Colorado - Boulder
  • Colorado School of Mines
  • U. of Denver (CO)
  • U. of San Diego (CA)
  • Florida Institute of Technology
  • U. of Maryland - College Park (check to see if international students get aid…UMBC does, but this campus wasn’t listed…don’t know if this was a mistake)
  • Santa Clara (CA)
  • Southern Methodist (TX)
  • Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo
  • U. of Texas - Austin
  • Rice (TX)
  • Johns Hopkins (MD)
  • California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech)
1 Like

Where will you get loans for about $20,000 a year?

1 Like

Are you in-state for any of the public schools that you are applying to?

Some of these schools are likely to cost way over $40,000 per year. Some are likely to be close to this price. It is possible that some might be lower but I could not predict which. I think that you should be very cautious about taking on loans. It is possible to get part way through your degree and find that you are not able to borrow enough money to complete your degree.

However, if you have solid affordable safeties in your home country, then there is not harm in applying and seeing how you do in terms of both admissions and financial aid.

Whether getting a degree from a university in the US will help or hurt your job prospects in your home country is likely to depend upon what that country is (and to some extent which university you attend).

I might add that I am familiar with the possibility of having two “home countries”. I will take you at your word that you are not an international student for schools in the US.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.