Chance Me For Prep Schools (I'm applying to 10th Grade!)

Although I am writing essays as well, my main tip is that you make sure that your personality, interests, passions, values shine through in your essays. You want the admissions officer to know you as a whole person and how you would be a good fit in their community. You want them to know what you are passionate about and why. Make sure to think outside of the box and get creative. My last piece of advice is to be authentic as possible. Authenticity will make your story interesting; make sure to include little short stories and anecdotes that are personal to you!

Thank you for the advice! 10 essays to write sure is a lot

Would you consider applying as a reclassed 9th grader?

Honestly, I’m not all too sure. The class that matters most to me would be math and for that, I would be taking a test to be placed in the appropriate level. One of the admission officers I know switched into a private school when she was younger and applied as a reclassed 9th grader. Also, BUA has graduation requirements, such as in 9th grade, I would have to take a class called, “Power and Wisdom In The Ancient World” which would be a graduation requirement. If I have the choice, I would rather apply for the 10th grade, however I’m worried I may not be able to transfer in. What do you think?

I think if you really want to get in you should apply for 9th grade.

2 Likes

Maybe! The thing is, my parents are against it, but I can definitely try. Also, my friend who goes there seems to be fairly confident that I can get in for 10th grade, but I should talk it over with him as well.

1 Like

I also recommend that you ask how many applicants normally apply for sophomore year so you can see for yourself your chances of getting in.

Yeah, I’ll make sure to do that!

The 9th vs 10th discussion comes up a lot. At some schools, repeating a year is quite normal. At others, particularly ones with more day students (where the reclass can be awkward with friends who stayed in their LPS or who moved straight through from the lower school), it’s not so normal. I would investigate this at BUA to see how common this is before considering it.

At PAA, for example, it is a more commonly used option.

If you are genuinely open to this, it’s a worthwhile question to raise with your interviewer.

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunatly I already had the interview for BUA, but I’ll definitely email and ask how common this is.

1 Like

I think you have a shot somewhere.

I agree with the advice that you need to streamline your ECs. Playing basketball or soccer or violin for 2-3 years isn’t something that will benefit the schools. Those are things you did for fun. So I’d split your ec’s into two groups - what you have done that you will continue in your new school that benefits the school and what you have done for fun to fill your time.

Benefiting the school is a varsity athlete or first chair in an orchestra or debate team wiz.

Finally I want to caution you against choosing a school for the name vs where you will feel good and thrive. Your Andover interview sounds exactly like Andover to me. They do actually think they are that amazing and that kind of self importance is not for everyone.

I agree with @one1ofeach

I also think that you need to actually sit for the SSAT and take it. SSAT is graded much more harshly than other standardized tests because of the student group it serves. You may find that you score lower on the SSAT and want to apply to less selective schools that will also offer a great experience.

1 Like

I’m taking the SSAT on January 7th. Any tips or advice? Also, because of how it is graded as more harshly, does that mean it’s harder to score higher?

For streamlining my ECs, should I categorize them? There’s a section on the Exeter application portal to list my ECs and awards. Should I eliminate the 2-3 year activities, or separate them?

Its not that it’s graded more harshly, its that the general public is not taking the ssat. Those taking the ssat are only kids wanting to attend rigorous, academic schools – a small slice of the population, and a slice that is smarter, more focused and driven than the general population. So that’s who you are being compared to. So, if you would score in the top 90% on a test like the SAT that a more general population takes, you might score in the top 50% on the SSAT. So – don’t let a “lower” score make you think that reflects anything about yourself.

3 Likes

Just study and try to do your best. Like @cinnamon1212 said, the kids that take the SSAT are smart and motivated, or they are in private day schools where they prepare the kids for years before the test.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thank you! Also, I’m working on essays at the moment but I’m having trouble. I can’t seem to show and not tell. How do I do this? Along with that, should I just focus on a single story or tell multiple and have multiple points. I’m writing about how I’ve always tried how perfect is the enemy of good and how I’ve wanted to be the perfect student, daughter, and friend. However I can’t be the perfect student because I have struggled with speaking, I can’t be the perfect daughter because I’m not straight, and I can’t be the perfect friend because I tend to be busy. Plus, do I want to focus on the more cultural or academic sense? For cultural, I can talk about my mixed ethnicity and accepting myself for what is seen as flaws in my culture, but for academic, I can talk about working hard to maintain good grades, but failing at points and overcoming that. Sorry for all the questions, I’ve never written a non-analytical essay before.

I got a 97th percentile on my NYS Math exam (1 question wrong on the entire test) but on my first SSAT I got in the high 50s low 60s for math. On the PSAT, i got a 99th percentile (also math) if this helps.

2 Likes

Woww that’s a shockingly large difference. I’ll make sure to study especially hard!

1 Like

Yes and the content was similar. I’m sure you know, but the SSAT has concepts from Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 skills would be helpful. So make sure that you are studying hard. For verbal, just look up a list of SSAT vocabulary and study that. I just used quizlet. For reading, I don’t know how to study that. I didn’t study for it since it’s comprehension. I guess you could practice reading passages and just answering questions.