Chance Me For Prep Schools (I'm applying to 10th Grade!)

Also, take a lot of practice SSATs with the timing. I took the SSAT and did poorly. I took it a second time without studying anything more, and scored in the 79th percentile which was good enough for me.

Sometimes just taking the test again makes a huge difference.

1 Like

Okay! Do you now attend a prep school?

I did, but I left due to mental health reasons and because I didn’t like it as much as I thought it would.

I hope that the environment you are in is much better now : )

1 Like

It is, thank you so much! I can’t stress enough how important it is to pick a school that fits rather than just the name.

1 Like

Very much agreed! I initially loved the idea of attending a school like Andover, but after visiting, I realized I liked BUA much more. It’s way smaller and it has a more welcoming feel.

Just a tip about essay writing: it’s okay to be more confident or over-selling than you may be comfortable with in real life :slight_smile:

BTW, you can share any memorable questions in your BUA interview or other places you interviewed with so far?

1 Like

Okay! Thank you!!

You’re welcome! Any interview questions you could share with us?

Sure! During my Andover interview, I was asked to talk about my parents and where they came from. For BUA, I was asked a question about the types of books I read. For Exeter (that interview went especially well), a question that really stood out to me was “If I could do anything or be anything I wanted, what would that be?” I responded with talking about starting an organization to help the country I am from. Also for Exeter, the interviewer had said that she really loved me, emailed me about how she wishes to see me at that school, and told my dad she wanted to adopt me and wished I was her child (which is a bit weird, but I’m cool with it).

Getting a bit jealous my interview didn’t go like that!

1 Like

My daughter had an interviewer at a different school tell us that she “is really excited to see what my daughter accomplishes over the next four years” and separately (and unsolicited) emailed the educational consultant that told us about the school (we are overseas so we are working with someone to identify good fit schools) to “keep sending kids like her” to them, so we’re hoping that’s a good sign as well! The same interviewer emailed my daughter with book recommendations because they had a long conversation about books and our family book club. Crossing fingers as it is one of her top choices!

1 Like

So I’m taking the SSAT tommorow, have been practicing for a few hours today, and I’m kinda freaking out. On all the practice tests, I scored below the 50th percentile : (

Any advice? Also, the application deadline for many of the schools is January 15th. Say I retake the SSAT, can I still submit scores after this deadline?

Sometimes you can and sometimes you can’t. Depends on the school and when you get the score. I didn’t really study but taking the test twice did increase my score.

1 Like

The most important part is not to freak out and freeze during the test. Do your best tomorrow!

1 Like

You’ll do fine! Good luck!

I did it : )

Not all too confident though

I hope you did well!

@BSClass27 Just want to assure that that between 2 of my girls interviewing at over 25 (combined) schools, NONE of their interviews were “like that” and between the two of them, they had one rejection total. And – that one rejection was from a school where we thought the interview went amazing! So do not think you can read too much into how well the interview went. Do not worry at all. Do your best and let it go. (easier said than done I know).

2 Likes

Curious why this would be the case? Is it because, if you attend somewhere as a day student, whomever drives you would need or be able to only go to/from one school?

Otherwise, for BS I would think this would be two independent things, no? And either way it sure seems like in this regard you’re taking on a lot of responsibility onto your shoulders, on top of everything else.

The BS application journey is already unfortunately fraught. I would counsel the self-care of focusing on your own process. And as others have said trust your gut.