Chance me for top CS schools!

It’s a fact that some schools will outright reject or defer students with a high GPA/standardized test schools. They may do the yield protection or perceive a lack of interest (Tufts syndrome).

Fortunately @GoBears2023 has multiple excellent choices. There have been cases on CC where students with the same stats have been completely shut out of Top 20s and ‘settle’ for Cal.

If you get maximum financial aid at HYS, their net prices are likely to be between $4,450 and $5,000 (their expected student work contribution as indicated by their NPCs).

For UCB and USC, you can guess what your net price will be by running their NPCs but then replacing the federal direct loan and work(-study) expectation in the normal financial aid offer with scholarship money.

Yes, I forgot about Stanford, lmao :))

Accepted: USC (Scholarship for trustee’s), Yale (likely call), Purdue, UIUC, UC Berkeley (Regent’s and Chancellor’s), Harvard (likely letter), Stanford (likely letter), UC Davis, UCI
Deferred: GaTech
Waitlisted: UMich
Rejected: Cornell, UDub

Updated UC Davis acceptance and also the UC Irvine one that I forgot to include.

I feel 2% better about my UW CS rejection now :slight_smile:

GoBears2023 is having a lot of fun here!

How did the regents interview go? DD had hers as well too. It went ok, she said.

LOL @w00pw00p. UW CS is wack because they heavily favor in state students.

@Ranipetgirl
My regents interview went really well. I was paired up with a CS professor. He was super nice, although I didn’t really get to know him since the interview was only 30 minutes long :frowning: Mostly it was just like any other college interview. He talked a little about himself and then asked me to talk about my academic interests and goals that I wanted to achieve in the future.

Also, I almost arrived late to my interview because it was so hard to find the first building. Thankfully I planned ahead and arrive with 30 minutes to spare. For anyone in the future who will be interviewing for regents, I would recommend arriving with around 20-30 minutes to spare so that you have time to find the place where you are supposed to be and get acclimated to the environment.

@Gumbymom

I got the UCSB invite but wasn’t able to make it to the Chancellor’s reception. From what I heard, people who got the invite were all accepted. Is this true?

Yes, they all are admitted

Oh ok. Thanks @Ranipetgirl

UPDATE:

I just got my GaTech decision. Rejected for CS. This process is very interesting. Probably yield protected but honestly, who knows?

I think I’ll just include this from now on:
Accepted: USC (Scholarship for trustee’s), Yale (likely call), Purdue, UIUC, UC Berkeley (Regent’s and Chancellor’s), Harvard (likely letter), Stanford (likely letter), UC Davis (Regent’s), UCI, UCSB
Deferred:
Waitlisted: UMich
Rejected: Cornell, UDub, GaTech

I don’t know if this is a good idea but I’m planning on withdrawing from my safeties like RPI, RIT, WPI, etc. because I would be taking a spot that other people need. Is this a good idea?

Do you have an actual financial aid / scholarship package from any of the schools that has admitted you? If so, is there no possibility that you will matriculate to any of these other schools even if they offered you a full ride with net price = $0?

This is mostly a myth. All schools do yield prediction/calculation and waitlists are a thing for a reason. Don’t feel pressure to withdraw until you are 1000% sure there is no way you are attending, which as pointed out above should also consider financial factors.

Presumably, a safety-ish school for the OP would calculate that the OP would have a very small (let’s say 1%) chance of matriculating. In that case, if the OP withdrew, that frees up 0.01 seats in the class. But an additional student at the margin who is reaching for the school would have a higher (let’s say 50%) chance of matriculating, so that (in this example) 50 applicants like the OP would have to withdraw to make space for 0.5 seats needed to admit another student at the margin.

@ucbalumnus

Yes, I am confident that I will not be attending any of my safeties. I strongly believe that the schools that I have gotten into so far will grant me larger financial packages.

@PengsPhils
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I will be keeping my applications in and will not be withdrawing. Thanks for your advice!

I would recommend not withdrawing any applications until you receive an actual financial package that assures affordability at a school that you prefer to those other schools even if those other schools give a full ride.

@ucbalumnus

Yes, I’ll be keeping my application in and not withdrawing. Thanks for the advice!

UPDATE:

Not that anyone will care too much but I got a 135 on the AMC12A and a 141 on the AMC12B. USAMO seems pretty likely this year. Maybe I can try pushing for MOP or something.

GaTech does not admit to a major but they look at it carefully so they don’t overcrowd the fine computer science department with too many out of state students. They are a public school mandated to educate Georgia students. GaTech

GaTech accepts less than 5% out of state applicants during regular decision in computer science. For boys applying to GaTech, it’s more like 3% acceptance rate during RD round if you mention computer science ax your major.

GaTech favors students who can start in the summer semester after 12th grade as well and they will allow students to change majors.