Chance me for top CS schools!

@GoBears2023 Congratulations on UCB EECS Regents!As a Mama Bear, I’d love for you to come to the Bear Territory. Have you been to the east coast in the winter? J/K! Please let us know where you’ll be attending. Again, if you keep working hard, the sky is the limit and you will be successful wherever you go. Best wishes.

@sdhotmama

Thanks! I am strongly considering UCB given that I will be given a full ride.

Berkeley EECS with a full ride would be hard to beat, unless Stanford or one of the Ivies matches it.

Congrats @GoBears2023, glad everything worked out in the end.
HPS would be a free ride, isn’t it?
Hope you can fly down to the East and visit these colleges before you decide.
UCB is great but maybe better suited for Grad school.
I am sure you will do amazing things wherever you end up going.
Good Luck!

@Hamurtle

Very true

@NCKris
HPS would be a free ride. I’ll be trying to do what I can and visit all the colleges I am considering. Thanks for your kind words!

UPDATE:

Rejected to CMU SCS but accepted to CMU Statistics and Machine Learning! :smiley:
Unfortunately, it has now been taken off my consideration list.

Accepted: USC (Scholarship for trustee’s nominee), Yale (likely call), Purdue, UIUC, UC Berkeley (Regent’s and Chancellor’s Scholar), Harvard (likely letter), Stanford (likely letter), UC Davis (Regent’s), UCI, UCSB, UCSC, UCSD, Brown, UPenn, Princeton, CMU
Waitlisted: UMich, Northeastern, MIT
Rejected: Cornell, UDub, GaTech, UT Austin, UCLA, Northwestern

Should be a Big Game battle - Berkeley vs Stanford.

@ProfessorPlum168

We’ll see!

@GoBears2023 if you go to either Harvard or Yale that would be the original Big Game aka the Game.

@Hamurtle

LOL very true.

@GoBears2023 Congrats! I’m surprised that you got rejected by ANY colleges at all. I find that many students that are accepted into very top colleges (Harvard, Princeton, Stanford) are often rejected/waitlisted by T20-30 colleges (GA Tech, UCLA, UMich in your case) and I sometimes wonder why :confused:

@yeetys

Yield protection is becoming a vital part of the college admissions process. You’ll often find people who get into top schools and get locked out of their safeties and matches.

^^ seems like that is true.
Earlier, I had the (incorrect) assumption that ‘only’ privates care about yield protection and publics are not that concerned about yield and go with mostly stats. It seems my assumption is incorrect and all schools now care for yield.

Lots of people blame rejections from apparent “safeties” on yield protection, but there are often other explanations that may not have been obvious to them. For example, at many colleges, computer science and other popular majors are substantially more selective than the college overall. Public colleges may also have in-state versus out-of-state selectivity differences. Also, different colleges emphasize different attributes, so that if the supposed “safety” favors the ones where the applicant is weakest, it may not be a safety. And any college where a subjective or holistic evaluation is involved may have luck issues, such as getting a “hard grader” admission reader.

After lots of deliberation, I’ve narrowed my choices down to Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, CMU, and UCB. I will only be able to visit Stanford, UCB, and Harvard admit days due to the cost of travelling. I’m really looking forward to seeing some of my future classmates!

UPDATE;

Went to Cal Day. I was super impressed by the CS faculty there and I was even able to reconnect with my interviewer for the Regent’s scholarship. He offered me a place on his research team for the summer, which was awesome! Everyone I met was kind and everyone seemed so passionate about CS :smiley:

I’m sort of in a predicament here. Stanford’s admit days are thursday, friday, and saturday, which somewhat overlaps harvard’s admit days. I think I will go to the first two stanford admit days and then all of harvard’s admit days.

@GoBears2023 sounds like Cal is your leader. Can’t beat an opportunity to do research before freshman year starts. It would be hard for Stanford and Harvard to match that.

@Hamurtle

You are so right. Cal is definitely the leader given that I can get some research in before the school year starts. I’m still holding off until I visit Stanford and Harvard though.

@GoBears2023 I came across this thread and I just wanted to compliment you for your remarkable achievements. You’re truly an outstanding person and an inspiration. Congratulations on all of your well-deserved acceptances and I’m sure you’ll meet success wherever you end up going for college.

I also appreciate your willingness to help others earn higher scores on their SAT/ACT with that other thread you made. Thank you so much for that.

@skompella9892

Thanks for you kind words! I just want to pass on my knowledge to other students and make their lives easier :slight_smile: