Chance me for UMich EA in-state

Demographics

• US Citizen
  • State/Location of residency: Michigan
  • Type of high school: Public magnet
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Female, Asian (Chinese)
  • Other special factors: none

Intended Major(s)
Biomedical Engineering

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.8
  • Class Rank: N/A
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 720 EBRW 770 Math

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))

All IB curriculum with IB HL math, IB HL biology, and IB HL english
Awards
Presidential Volunteer Service Award - Gold

Extracurriculars

• Founded, led, and organized a program. Led 10+ volunteers and taught 30+ kids. (11-12)
  • Observed and researched at a biology lab (12)
  • 1st violinist at out-of-school symphony for all years participated (9-11)
  • Taught kids python as part of a nonprofit organization (10 over break)

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)
CA: 7/10 - it was okay, i feel like it could’ve been structured better but it describes me well
Why UM: 8/10
Community: 8/10

LORs: got one from my counselor and junior year bio teacher. i believe both were strong; 7/10+
Cost Constraints / Budget
Applied for fin aid but family makes more than 200k a year

Schools
University of Michigan EA

Congrats, first of all, on doing pretty well in high school.

Your GPA is on the lower side of their mid range, and your test scores on on the higher end of the mid-range. However, you are in-state and at a magnet school.

Your ECs look pretty solid.

I would put it as a toss-up (formerly match or target).

What do you GCs say, and what does you place on Naviance say? These will give you a better idea. Naviance (if your school uses it) is probably a good tool here, since I expect that more than half of the students who attend your school are applying to U Mich every year, so there will be a good sample size.

1 Like

thanks for the reply! unfortunately, my school does not use naviance. i do know that around 50 ish kids apply every year and around 20-25 get in; however, my class seems to be far more competitive this year, which is why i’m a bit worried because i will be compared to them in admissions.

Why worry ? Have targets and safeties - somewhere you’ll get in, like and can afford - and then you have nothing to worry about. If UMICH happens, then great. If not, you’re still covered.

Don’t worry about what you can’t control. Set up what u can control.

See if your HS is represented on this chart of HS’s. Although this data is older and Michigan may be moving away some from the big feeders for more diversity, you can get an idea of how your HS fares.

The in-state acceptance rate was 40% in 2021-2022. We don’t have 2022-2023 stats yet, but with the continuing increase in apps and the fewer acceptances, the acceptance rates decreased, maybe to roughly 37% +/- for in-state.

ETA: CoE admission rates will be lower than the overall average acceptance rates.

because i already have target and safety schools that i have gotten into ?

thanks for the reply; my highschool is on this list. any possibilities why michigan would be moving away from big feeders?

I edited my response to add that Michigan is making strides in diversifying their classes more.

We had anecdotal evidence here on CC, where the big feeders weren’t getting the same amount of admittances as in past years. But CC is a very small sample size.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.