Chance me: OR senior, 3.93 GPA, top 2.7% [Cognitive Science or Applied Psychology, first gen, needs full aid, divorced parents]

Is there a section that asks the counselor if I took the highest rigor available? I’ll have to get set on all of this.

HURRY on the standardized test issue. It isalmost too late.

For sure, I’m getting on it as we speak.

“Is there a section that asks the counselor if I took the highest rigor available?”
Yes.

Harvard won’t care that you didn’t take many APs since your school doesn’t offer many APs. However the GC will need to provide as much detail as possible to show how rigorous your academic choices made your curriculum v. Your peers and peers in the past 10 or 20years. You need to have taken the most rigorous curriculum available to you and they must know that.
(Note that I’m not saying you’re getting into Harvard-level schools, since 95% applicants don’t, but rather that these colleges will not penalize you if you did everything you could to learn as much as you could.)

For colleges that provide full need based aid, that check mark needs to be “most rigorous” and the GC (*) needs to write how you’re part of an academically advanced program that requires you to take x,y,z, but that school rules prevent you from taking A, B, or C (such as AP bio).
"That top students at your school may take 2 APs but that you uncommonly decided to take 4 including 2 junior year which is almost unheard of. "(… you get the idea: your GC needs to paint a picture of your choices in relation to the kids who have attended your HS for the past 10, 20 or 25 years.)
The GC would also need to write sth along the lines that you’re the best or one of the best/most impressive students they’ve had in 10, 20, 25 years.
Scripps or Harvard need this kind of information.

Which APs did you take and are you taking?
Right now we know you didn’t take AP CS nor AP Bio, but took bio, chem, physics (which is correct - did you take a 4th science class?)

1 Like

Only 3% of students at my school are enrolled or were enrolled in one or more AP class. I took AP Environmental Science A and B, AP Statistics A and B as well.

Thank you for the info. I’m jotting it all down to look back at later on.

2 Likes

I also am taking multiple science classes for my fourth year, including Biotech and Genetics, Public Health, not sure if Psychology counts but I’m taking psychology as well, along with some Med Sci exam prep classes. I took AP Environmental Science in my sophomore year along with another science course.

1 Like

You need to be one of the best in your school, but what is to your advantage is location rural oregon, poor, immigrant, first gen, super sib responsibilities. Harvard is tops in psych. But since not much challenge available to you, you really beed that confirmatory act or sat score. Seriously, a person in your position could have a 99th % score, and be ready, or a 50th%, and not be ready.

I’m not sure a test score is going to matter much.
But a kid from a rural HS would be fine with an ACT 30 even for HYP. For reference, a PSAT of 1280 qualifies one for National Recognition/Rural&Small high schools v. an index of 216 or score of 1480 for NMSF (typical Oregon HS).
If the score is 30+ it will certainly confirm potential and excellence in context but the adcom would already see that from the transcript and LoRs. Of course if OP were to score 32 it’d add something but Im not sure OP has time to prepare for the test (which is a fastidious task) and taking the test without sufficient prep is useless.
It may be a good strategy to use in preparation for RD or ED2, after Honors applications have been sent to UO and OSU, plus any EA college with Nov 1 scholarship deadlines that OP is targeting.

3 Likes

I took the PreAct with my friend when I was temporarily at a different school away from my mom, (keeping in mind that I was a freshman at the time and my friend and I didn’t take it too seriously) I got a 26. I don’t think that’s particularly good lol, and not sure how to compare that to a normal ACT result. I do have a general idea of the ACT, from that, though.

We can tell you how to prep for it

I don’t know that a test score is essential for you, particularly if test prep will detract from your ability to do your best on college, Honors College, and scholarship applications.

However, if you do take the ACT, I note that a 26 on the PreACT probably put you in the top 10% if you took it in 10th grade and the top 5% if you took it in 9th grade, based on the tables posted here: ACT Success

That may give you some prediction of where you would stand on the ACT.

3 Likes

That would be great.

That sounds good then, I guess. I used to do really well in tests, especially younger years (elementary and middle school state tests), and I was always quite a few years ahead. That was in California, and they had the tests twice a year. My teachers were all hyped up about it, but as I got older all the other students started maturing and all and I started evening out more (and getting a bit distracted). What I’m trying to say though, is that in my far back past, I used to do really well on statewide tests, but I don’t know if that’s since changed lol.

It really depends on how much prepping for these tests will take away from my typical schedule. I usually study from 7:30 to 3, and then from home I try to study while taking care of my siblings, and that’s usually all night until we sleep.

I’d take it. Study two weeks 30 mins a day. It won’t impact other things. A 26 in 9th is strong.

If the score stinks then you won’t use. But you have upside if it’s good.

3 Likes

That’s true. Nothing to lose then.

2 Likes

My counselor just got back to me and told me she marked “top % of their class” in reference to my rigor and GPA. Is there a higher rank she could of me, you think?

1 Like

Test reg?

sorry what are you referencing to lol

Did the counselor advise or help you with test registration for the sat or act or both?

The format is typically a box to check with “very rigorous”, “most rigorous” etc, for rigor, separate from GPA. Most rigorous schedule for thr school needs to be checked, along with the exact explanations you listed (special program with requirements, impossible for you to take AP Bio, scheduling conflicts…)
A chart is provided where the top categories are “top few this year” and " among the top students in the past few years". Categories in the chart would then include a line for academic achievement, intellectual curiosity, involvement, respect afforded by faculty, personal achievement, etc.
Because your school is small and fewer than 5% students take AP classes, using the past 10, 20 or 25 years as a basis for comparison is more helpful to top colleges.

Since you’re a good test taker, you can register for the Dec9 test date, deadline is Nov 8. It would give you a good month after EA/scholarship/Honors college applications are due to prep. Your applications should take priority.

2 Likes