Chance Me please (Computer Science Major/Alternative Electrical Engineering [international student, IB 38/45]

Demographics

• international student

• Type of high school (current college for transfers): IB High school

• Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional):Men,white caucasian, Azerbaijani

Intended Major(s)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: We do not have unweighted Gpa
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.5/5
  • Class Rank:top 25% (we use quarter system maximum is 25%)
  • ACT/SAT Scores:No

Coursework
IB 38/45 no AP’s
Awards

Extracurriculars
Founder and president of the programming club, Dunya IB School
Organized programming classes free of charge, held competitive
programming contests, and conducted cybersecurity workshops.

Organizer, Dunya IB School
Arranged charity football matches

Soccer, Team captain, Dunya IB School
Led the soccer team on the pitch during the nation-wide championships

Model UN Senior, Dunya IB School
Conducted trainings and info sessions about Model UN for younger
students.

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

essay narrates a student’s journey of self-discovery and perseverance in pursuing a passion for computer science, despite familial and societal opposition. The student’s early interest in programming leads to challenges, including a lack of support from their mother and ridicule from relatives. With their father’s encouragement, the student overcomes these obstacles, eventually founding a programming club and developing an AI language model. This experience solidifies their identity and passion in the field of computer science.

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)(All financial aid , except UC BERKELEY, CORNELL)

• Safety north carolina state university,university of phoenix,santa clara university

• Match ED NYU(Only NYU i did), UCSB, California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo,texas a&m university,

• Reach Uc Berkeley, Cornell University, Columbia University , Upenn

1 Like

I forgot to list my honors

Distinguished delegate
at the XVI Annual Model
United Nations
Conference
International

Distinguished delegate
at the XVI Annual Model
United Nations
Conference
International

Honorable mention in
UNGA committee at
ADA School
International Model
United Nations meeting
State/Regional,
International

Participant of “The
International Observe
the Moon Night”
international

Science Olympiads
semifinalist
State/Regional,
Nationa

Are these colleges affordable for your family?

On your other thread, you say you have the potential for a scholarship from your dad’s work, and from your government. Are these for ALL four years of college guaranteed? I ask because you will need to complete a certificate of finances that documents that you have four years of college money at the ready in order to get a visa to study here.

Why University of Phoenix?

4 Likes

This is very important. What can you pay for four years? It’s a number, not an opportunity for an off-tangent essay.

Does this mean that you need funding to attend all of these schools but you don’t need funding for Berkeley and Cornell?

You have a lot of public universities on your list. Take most of those off of you list if you need any scholarships/funding to attend.

The UC’s and CSU’s do not provide funding to non-residents. These universities are funded by the taxpayers of the State of California. The State cannot afford to fund non-resident students. You will pay full fees of $72K-$74K per year or roughly ~$300,000 for a four-year education. To get a visa, the US Immigration service will want proof that you have that money in an account.

Also, the majors that you’ve selected are “impacted” at many universities because there just aren’t enough seats and resources to accept everyone who wants to study this discipline.

Your best bet is to find affordable universities which are not competitive, large-named universities and have those majors available.

2 Likes

UCSB CS admit rates was 5-6% so a Reach and if you selected EE as an alternate, then they will not consider it. They only consider alternate majors in the College of Letters and Sciences if applying for the College of Engineering as your primary major.

Cal Poly SLO’s CS admit rate is around 9% so also a Reach. Again alternate major not guaranteed to be considered especially within the College of Engineering.

UC Berkeley CS admit was 2.3% and alternate majors may be considered during the waitlist or appeal process if room is available.

The UC’s and CSU’s are need blind but they also will not meet need nor offer FA for International students.

2 Likes

Was this written by your computer?

Also, the way most American universities begin the path to a diploma involves general education (GE)coursework in all areas of academia.

As a student at a public California university, you will be expected to take courses that are not specifically in the CS or EE major. The GE requirements are expected because, the assumption is, that anyone receiving a “well-rounded” university education will include individuals with experiences in the humanities, arts and social sciences.

I say that because your previous post had halting English skills. Now you have responded to a budget question with a narrative essay. That Chat GPT software isn’t going to work for you in college.

2 Likes

I don’t see mention of your TOEFL score. Do you have one. IIRC, some of your colleges will require this.

@Gumbymom IIRC correctly, the UCs do…is that still true for non-native English speakers?

How to Satisfy the English proficiency:

Applying as a freshman?

If you’ve completed all your secondary school/high school in a country where English is not the language of instruction, you can demonstrate proficiency by taking one of these exams no later than December of your final year of high school/secondary school and earning the required scores:

• Score 24 or higher on the ACT English Language Arts (ELA)
  • Score 31 or higher on Writing and Language in the SAT
  • Score 3, 4 or 5 on the AP examination in English Language and Composition, or English Literature and Composition
  • Score 6 or 7 on an IB Standard Level examination in English (Language A only)
  • Score 5, 6 or 7 on an IB Higher Level examination in English (Language A only)
  • Score 6.5 or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)* examination:
    • Internet-based test (iBT) or iBT Home Edition or iBT Paper Edition: Minimum score of 80 or better
  • Duolingo English Test (DET): Minimum score of 115
1 Like

@SOBACHKA12S have you satisfied this English language proficiency requirement somehow?

Yes

Did you apply EA for Santa Clara? If not, I would not consider this a safety.
(For some perspective, my daughter was accepted at UC Berkeley but waitlisted at Santa Clara to which she applied RD)

I would not give the name. This is a public forum and easy to Google. Please edit this for your own internet safety.

I was also curious about who wrote this and why. Is this ChatGPT? What is this?

I know, I just used ChatGPT because I wanted a precise and understandable summary of my essay

So, I will only consider the top 10 universities; for the others, I am going to apply for financial aid.

I really want to work in Silicon Valley, so i so google employs people from that university, thats why

I know, i want to apply for the international scholarships and btw some UC’s provide financial aid for international students

Which universities do I stand a chance of getting into?

Which universities do I stand a chance of getting into? What do u think

I have studied more than 4 years in IB system , and currently i am in IBDP program, so yes i meet requiremetns

You have a chance anywhere you apply, but many of these schools have very low acceptance rates so the chances are fairly low for every applicant, no matter how qualified. Santa Clara has a fairly high acceptance rate for EA, but significantly lower for RD. That doesn’t mean you don’t have a chance. You absolutely do, but it is a lower chance than you would have had if you had applied EA, and I would not consider it a safety for RD admissions for this reason.

1 Like

US is my dream country, i want to study there then get employed and pay taxes, hopefully with the help of god , i am gonna be accepted , i have already applied to the NYU and UC Berkeley now i am waiting for the results, btw how does my essay sound