Chance Me Pls - Applied All Ivys

Which two OOS publics ? I hope not UNC and UVA ?

What is your safety ?

Or Michigan or UCLA or CAL.

You’re in NY. Did you apply to any SUNY or CUNY? It’s not too late to apply somewhere instate.

3 Likes

I agree with others— I wince when I see these posts where smart kids are applying to every Ivy. It seems like prestige hunting, rather than a thoughtful consideration of fit. You’ve done really well in school though and really, the die is cast. I hope you can step away from this process a bit and celebrate your acceptances when they come.

2 Likes

UMich and UVA. Safety’s are American, GW, SUNY Bing

Ok. So you have SUNY B. That’s cheap. GW likely too

I assume u r full pay.

As long as you could be happy at either
then all good.

GW is so different than all others you applied to. No real campus. No dining halls although I’ve heard one is coming.

Did you visit or it just another DC name ?

At American
showing genuine interest is very very important.

Glad to see Bing on your list.

GW is one of the most expensive colleges in the country and the school doesn’t meet full need for all. Is it affordable.

Michigan doesn’t guarantee to meet full need for all OOS students either.

2 Likes

Well, I’d say Princeton, Columbia, Harvard and Yale clearly qualify. Beyond this group, I might look outside the Ivies for other top-notch programs.

1 Like

Oh I missed AU. Yes they turn down studs who show no interest and accept the underwhelming who show love.

It’s your traditional campus.

Your three safeties are all solid!!

So heres’s an interesting fact
we’ll it was told to us by a professor we stumbled upon at Washington & Lee since you are interested in public service. Not sure how he knows this or what the source is. This is more for future people since you’ve applied.

He said the top two schools placing kids in DC / agencies on a per capita basis
so adjusted for department size are

#1 Sewanee

#2 w & L

Someone said you could look past the Ivies!!

Yes you can.

1 Like

A post was split to a new thread: Chance me for top schools

Have you heard back from Bing? I just looked at their political science program and they have some very impressive internship opportunities.

When you say your high school doesn’t rank, you realize that they likely do send a letter along with the transcript so that the schools can have an idea of where that 4.1 places you, within the class. I’m sure that you have some idea of what percentile of the class that places you. For your reaches, most of them would expect you to be in the top 5th% of your class, in addition to having something else that makes them want you.

Your standardized test scores will not keep you out - they’re definitely good enough - but neither will they get you in. The extra letters from a state senator and local lawmaker, in addition to the dep’t chair (whom I assume has taught you) and hopefully another teacher, (because that’s all they really wanted, a letter from each of two teachers), might not help at all, unless they say something truly extraordinary about you. The prestige of the recommender is not what they are evaluating - it’s what the recommender tells them about you. You could have a letter of recommendation from a former president, and unless it says something extraordinary about you, it’s just name dropping.

Your ECs sound very good indeed. Really coherent theme of leadership in political science, and high achievement. If you get in, this is probably why.

Despite all this, it’s entirely possible that you’ll wind up at Binghamton. Have you considered applying to SUNY Albany? I know that Binghamton is the flagship, but Albany is the state capitol. You could get involved in volunteering and working in state politics right away, if you’re at SUNY Albany. You are such a politically inclined person, that I think that if you don’t get into Georgetown, and you decide against GW or AU, that you need to be in a state capitol, or a major city, so that you can get involved in state or big city politics. For this reason, some of the Ivies really aren’t a match for you. What are you gonna do in rural NH? Or Princeton, NJ? The other Ivies, at least you have big city or state politics to get involved in.

Consider when you’re applying for a first job, or law school. Compare saying that you went to Dartmouth or Princeton, vs saying that you spent 4 years working in NYS politics, eventually working for the speaker of the NYS house, or the majority leader of the NYS senate (and you had a 4.0 at SUNY Albany, plus a fantastic LSAT). I know which person I’d want to hire or admit. I’d want that person with a lot of hands on experience in politics and lawmaking.

So, overall, don’t be surprised if you wind up with Binghamton, and GW and AU (if you start right now telling them how much you love them best) as your choices. If I were you, I’d toss in an application to SUNY Albany right now, too. Deadline is Feb 1st. It may be your affordable option that gives you access to getting involved in big state politics and lawmaking.

11 Likes

Totally agree about Albany! I think Bing has nice internship opportunities, but it’s location won’t be ideal for things to do during the academic year.

2 Likes

You can’t apply to ED or SCEA elsewhere if you apply Georgetown EA, just other nonrestrictive EAs.

1 Like

Thank you
that’s a funny and different kind of EA!

They definitely like doing things their way (see eg no Common App, official test scores for all tests ever taken, etc.).

This was a really nice and helpful response - thank you so much for taking the time to really give advice and help me. Albany could be an option too. Just wanted to point out - Cornell has a “Cornell in Washington” program sophmore year, Columbia has internships at the UN, Princeton’s School of Public and International Affairs has internship oppotunties at the US Dept of State, Dept. of Justice, CIA, FBI; Harvard’s Dept. of Government has government speakers all the time (Obama recently). Dartmouth’s Dept. of Government offers internship opportunities while working and studying in DC in legislative and executive offices, as well as the chance to conduct research (and in London in Parliament). Brown gives a few students the opportunityto intern in Governor Frank Licht’s office every year. While I would love to be in DC proper all year, I realize the value in the other school’s opportunities. Even Georgetown - there is no metro to Capitol Hill. GW and American are more acceisble to our nations capital.

no not yet - hoping in the next batch of decisions they send out!

Albany can only be option if you apply
the app is due Feb 1 (so, this Tuesday).

Posters can be more helpful if we understand your budget for college, per year. Have you run net price calculators at the schools on your list and those estimates are affordable?