Chance Me: Rising High School Junior

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I’ll keep all of that in mind!

can you clarify the $? Several of us have asked.

Did you mean as you say - $60K a semester (i.e. $120K a year). Or you meant $60K per year?

60k/semester

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments so far! If you continue on this same trajectory, I think you would be a strong applicant for all of the schools on your list. As mentioned upthread, however, some of the schools like Barnard and Pomona have far more qualified applicants than they have spots. But, I think you would have a shot. I would only recommend you ED if it is a clear #1 choice and you have run the net price calculator and it is affordable for your family.

A few other schools you might want to consider include:

Bryn Mawr (PA ): Strong in math & sociology, and you seem to be a fan of women’s colleges. This is also in a consortium with Haverford and Swarthmore.

Providence (RI): This college is less than 2 miles from the Rhode Island state house, so there are plenty of opportunities for working on policy agendas. Offers an array of majors that seem to fit your interests, and it’s mid-size with about 5k students.

Trinity (CT): This school is less than 2 miles from the Connecticut state house, so again you have the public policy options and an array of other majors. There are about 2200 undergrads here.

College of New Jersey: A mid-sized school with about 6900 undergrads, this would be a likely admission for you and is about 3.5 miles from the NJ capitol.

2 Likes

OK - that’s good. Don’t tell any schools :slight_smile: Just say you’re full pay!!! That’s a good position to be in.

So far as I know…there is NO college in this country that costs $60,000 a semester. That’s $120,000 a year. I think the most expensive COA now is close to or at $80,000 a YEAR.

If this is for real…your parents can pay for any college in this country without any financial aid at all.

1 Like

I just want to add extra weight to whoever said that sometimes size is less of a consideration than quality of the program for your desired major. My D23 (rising senior) has narrowed her list for this fall to just four schools and they are all quite different: a cute-college-town school with 2,000 students, a tech suburb school with only 1,100 students, a suburb/rural-ish school with 12,000 students, and a 20,000+ student school located in the center in a major city. These just happen to be the schools that have top-rated programs plus the other things that were more important to her than size and location (cross-major projects, co-op and internship opportunities, industry connections). Yes, the experience at the 1100-student school is going to be very different than the 20,000+ school, but different doesn’t always mean one is bad and the other is good; it’s entirely possible that both will be good, even if fairly different, experiences.

Also, I really, really love that you chose to tackle menstrual inequality and confess that I’m hoping you’ll continue to take a leadership role on that issue in the future. It’s so important for so many women around the world. Anyway, your track record so far is very impressive and I’m sure you’ll do wonderful things no matter where you go.

3 Likes

Dear bookluvr28 (love that handle, BTW)!

First, you’ve already gotten good feedback, and while some might seem to focus on semantics, their points are still valuable and should be taken in.

Instead of rehashing, let me respond to you through the lense of a parent, whose daughter just graduated from Columbia University after having attended their Barnard College. Some of what I share will be specific, but some will be generally applicable.

Secondly, your post is perfectly timely, it is never too early to ask questions; having brainstormed some early thoughts might help you feel more prepared a year from now. Don’t worry about the debate whether (on this board) the subject “Chance me” implies a rising senior who knows their junior year GPAs.

Thirdly - your parents apparently budgeted 500k for your higher education. We don’t know how much tuition rates will rise in the next two years - and how well or poorly the current investment market will impact that figure.

Also, there could be costs beyond the nominal “Cost of Attendance”, such as the cost of travelling/flying home a few times a year, depending on where in NE home is.
Then, by junior year, with the leads from your professors, you might be able to secure full-year internships in NYC. Especially research internships might be unpaid (which you’ll be able to afford) because they might still be very worthwhile due to the quality and relevancy of the research being performed. It means you’ll be a whole-year renter; your housing cost could be 1/3rd more than for just two semesters. You’ll also have 3 extra months a year of living expenses and there might be commuting cost one or twice a week, year-round.
In the case of my daughter, these internships (while unpaid) were significant pieces of her grad-school applications, where she was able to snatch a spot, rather than spending (the very typicaly) year, or two, or more…, to “build up” a resume and “show commitment” to the field before hopefully ever being accepted into certain programs.

Finally, Columbia University has great summer-abroad programs. If you find some of interest, there’ll be flight/living expenses as well as tuition.

So, yes, there likely will be funds left over after 4 years, but not quite as much as the official COA figures might make you think, which by then might grown to let you fund a Masters, if you choose to do so.

Forth - on the subject of getting into Barnard. For one, after watching my daughter and her experiences, I think it fits your stated preferences well.
I also agree with everyone, that you are on the right trajectory from an academic standpoint. But it’s important to understand that with an 8% acceptance rate, no matter the GPA, SAT or ACT - there is no magic number that absolutely will get anyone in - it just means that your application already check offs one (important) box.
Your strongest other point are your ECs. Barnard strives to further exceptional young women (even if someone’s stats might be less that perfect), and the focus, subject - and apparent results of your ECs do impress! So this would be checkbox #2.
Still the chances of being admitted “Regular Decision” are outright miniscule (a fraction of 8%), especially because colleges will have to gamble how likely their “top” applications might also receive admission offers from (other) Ivy Leagues, and thus might never enroll!

So my suggestion for the coming year is - try to seek out other potential schools, see how much you might like their vibe, their location, their programs…
If (!), in a year from now, Barnard is your outright favorite, then see if you can get to visit NYC (overnight?) on one or two occasions during the fall semester to audit (sit in) a class or two in subjects of your interest, to get a feel for the campus, the location, etc.
If you still feel all certain about your first choice, then I strongly suggest that you apply Early Decision. The ED acceptance rate is MUCH higher than 8%, and the college will be able to accept the top-candidates without fearing they might enroll elsewhere.

2 Likes

Thank you so so much

1 Like

@mtmind @DigitalDad @aquapt @tsbna44 @merc81 @thumper1

I just wanted to put this question out there. I mentioned earlier I want to study math. That is non negotiable. My dance teacher who knows me extremely well went to MIT for undergrad and grad school, and would be more than happy to write a LOR. I also took part in a program at MIT and presented to a group of 100+ people there. Knowing all this, combined with my very strong math grades, plus being a woman wanting to go into math (possible URM), would MIT still be a complete shot in the dark? I’ve looked at the stats and the overall admission rate for women is around 10%, so I’m presuming it’s slightly higher for ED. My concern is that my math SAT isn’t high enough (740), and that they won’t want to admit another Asian from the surrounding area. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Apply and see. MIT is a reach for everyone who applies. They simply don’t have enough spots for all of the very well qualified applicants.

I’m not sure a LOR from your dance teacher will make any difference. It would be one thing if this was a teacher you had in an academic area. But this is a dance teacher who really doesn’t know you in an academic sense.

If MIT allows an additional personal reference, then maybe…but just because someone is an alum doesn’t mean they are a good LOR source for you.

MIT allows a spot for an LOR from a non-academic mentor, which is why I wanted to ask her.

I just want to know if applying would be a foolish waste of 80 bucks

You can’t get accepted if you don’t apply.

1 Like

There’s just no telling with MIT. I’ve seen so many incredibly impressive applicants get denied. But your chances certainly aren’t zero.

I don’t think wasting 80 bucks is the concern, at all. Even if it’s a lottery ticket, you can afford to take your shot so why not? What’s more of a concern is that holding out hope for MIT could tempt you away from another otherwise-perfect ED school, where playing the ED card could meaningfully improve your chances.

FWIW, MIT doesn’t have undergrad soci or public policy majors, although they do have anthro, poli sci, and urban planning.

Have you looked at Emory at all? Their QSS program seems like a great fit for your interests. Quantitative Sciences Major Students in the northeast often rule out schools in the south out of hand, but Atlanta is a great, diverse city with so much happening culturally and politically.

1 Like

FWIW, MIT does not have ED. While some armchair quarterbacks might disagree, MIT themselves say that EA provides no boost.

A 740 math SAT score may be too low for MIT, in my opinion. However, your SAT results seem preliminary, in that you evidently took the exam as a sophomore. Your actual prospects at MIT, therefore, may be subject to change should you decide to retake the SAT, as might be expected.

The above noted, it’s not clear to me from the information you have posted how you would benefit, in particular, from MIT’s math program, however excellent it may be.

If you would like to continue your research into schools with excellent math programs, this topic may be of interest: For Students Seeking a College Strong in Mathematics.

As an overall opinion, it seems you will have some great college options available to you. Perhaps too many, in fact, to be distracted by MIT at this stage.

No one in their right mind could apply to MIT or really any school on your list, except for maybe Wisconsin, without having backups. And some even say their superstar students like yourself were rejected there.

No application is ever wasted and for some kids, more is better so they feel they’ve hit all the necessary angles. I personally think that unless you’ve identified a safety you absolutely are going to that you want to get turned down somewhere, especially if you are chasing perceived top quality.

I think for math, there are many fine programs…hundreds in fact and you will find many homes . Here’s one of many lists.

My state flagship, which I think you can figure out but don’t want to explicitly state, has a great math program, along with a good public health and sociology department. I wouldn’t mind at all going there, and don’t think I’d have any trouble getting accepted.

1 Like

I’ve thought about Emory, especially as I’m extremely interested in public health and the CDC is in Atlanta. I’m a little turned off by the weather (although that can’t be helped), and it’s location, as I’ve only heard negative things about the south. Do you know what Atlanta is like? Can you describe it for me?

No clue your state beyond New England and you have zero chance of being identified but that you are ok with Maine, Umass, UConn, URI, UVM, Or UNH, then as long as you can afford it for sure, you can apply to any other schools that you want.

UMASS, I’ll assume based on your proximity to MIT comment, has an Honors School too. Pitt is another great one to apply. They are leaders in graduate health but are starting a BA in public health. I mention Pitt because it’s solid, on rolling admissions, and if you apply in Sept you’ll have one in the bag early b4 other apps are in to give you confidence…of course assuming it’s a fit for you which it actually appears so more than Umass as it’s semi urban vs not.

1 Like