Chance me!

<p>Please chance me for all UCs (Excluding LA and Cal which I know I have no chance at) and Chapman and USD if you are familiar with them.</p>

<p>OUT OF STATE. I’ll probably be the only student from my school applying.</p>

<p>UC GPA: 3.8
ACT: 31
Took AP Physics and AP US History this year, expecting 4/5s on both.
SAT subjects: Bio 700, US History 600, Physics 620</p>

<p>**For my senior year I’m doing a special program for students interested in pre-med where in the morning I follow around doctors for a hands-on look at the medical field and in the afternoon I come back to take classes. This limits the number of APs I can take, so I’m only taking AP bio. However, the program speaks for itself in that only 12 kids out of my entire county are selected to participate.</p>

<p>Volunteer work through red cross, public library and local museums.I’ll probably have about 100 volunteer hours once I apply.</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:
Photography editor of school magazine all grades
Primary singer in school musical grades 9 and 10
Latin Club grade 10
National Honors Society grade 11</p>

<p>2 “Cum Laude” Awards for high achievement on National Latin Exam</p>

<p>Oh and I’m black if minority status makes any difference.</p>

<p>actually, this looks pretty good. keep with the extracurriculars, try to get a bit more service in. keep your grades up, and if you can, raise them. the usual. and yes, unfortunately, in this world we live in, minority status DOES mean something, so being black is a big plus. the only problem i see is you being out of state, and that throws a curveball at things.</p>

<p>I’d say:
Merced: Yes
Riverside: Yes
Irvine: Yes
Santa Cruz: Yes
Santa Barbara: No–
Davis: No------------>these three no only because you’re out-of-state<br>
San Diego: No------/
Los Angeles: No
Berkeley: No</p>

<p>Hm, you would say Irvine is less competitive than Santa Barbara?</p>

<p>for out-of-state students, yes. UCSB admits more in-state students than UCI, percentage-wise with similar numbers of applicants, based on 2009 numbers.</p>

<p>Why can’t this person have a shot at UCSB, UCD, and UCSD? With those stats, they should be able to get in. And I keep on hearing that the UCs are accepting more out of state students than ever before because that is more money for them</p>

<p>^^ They get the same amount of money regardless if the student is in-state or out-of-state. The state of California pays the difference. In-state residents are more likely to attend (due to cost differences/location), so they pick them over others. If you look at private schools (which aren’t funded by the state), you will see that colleges don’t charge one student more than another to get more money… that’s just ridiculous.</p>

<p>i didnt say they dont have a shot. im saying the chances are they wont be accepted to those schools. everyone has a shot at nearly every school they apply to.</p>

<p>“They get the same amount of money regardless if the student is in-state or out-of-state. The state of California pays the difference.” That statement is absolutely false! Out of state students do not get their tuition fees lowered like in state students do–out of state students pay the full cost of attendance. You are correct in regards to the state government using the state’s tax money to subsidize Californians’ cost of attendance, but that is only applicable to those eligible for residency. And it is nearly impossible for out of state students to establish instate residency while attending college in California.</p>

<p>" If you look at private schools (which aren’t funded by the state), you will see that colleges don’t charge one student more than another to get more money… that’s just ridiculous." It is not a matter of charging a category of people more than what it charges another, it is that the costs of attendance for one category of people–the state residents–are being subsidized through tax money. There are no differences between the charges for in state and out of state at private universities because they do not receive subsidies in terms of state money for in state students.</p>

<p>It is difficult to predict which UCs will accept you because there is an increase in the pool of applicants, thereby increasing the competitiveness of available spots and in term cause the admission standards to be much stricter. The UCs have reduced and will continue to reduce freshman admissions, which further hurts your chances of being accepted–especially being an out of state student. By my judgment of your posted stats I think you would be accepted by most UCs, except UCLA, UC Berkeley, and UCSD.</p>

<p>Your arguments are unsound but your conclusions are really just the same as mine.</p>

<p>For instance you conclude “That statement is absolutely false” based off the principles that </p>

<ol>
<li>Out of state students do not get their tuition fees lowered like in state students do–out of state students pay the full cost of attendance. </li>
</ol>

<p>Which is matched by my argument: They get the same amount of money regardless if the student is in-state or out-of-state.</p>

<ol>
<li>You are correct in regards to the state government using the state’s tax money to subsidize Californians’ cost of attendance, but that is only applicable to those eligible for residency.</li>
</ol>

<p>It is implied that in-state entails residency.</p>

<ol>
<li>And it is nearly impossible for out of state students to establish instate residency while attending college in California.</li>
</ol>

<p>Which has no bearing on making my statement false.</p>

<p>Then you conclude “It is not a matter of charging a category of people more than what it charges another, it is that the costs of attendance for one category of people–the state residents–are being subsidized through tax money.”</p>

<p>This is the same my conclusion and even bolsters it that colleges don’t charge one student more than another to get more money.</p>

<p>The only difference is that I chose to summarize all the details and leave out the implications.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sorry, not true.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.ucop.edu/news/factsheets/2010/fall_2010_admissions_table_7.pdf[/url]”>http://www.ucop.edu/news/factsheets/2010/fall_2010_admissions_table_7.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The applicant pools of the davis, sb and irvine are pretty much identical, btw.</p>

<p>so, ghost1782, are you going to davis or Santa Barbara in the fall? lol</p>

<p>sorry, i was getting my info from here:</p>

<p>[University</a> of California - Admissions](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/selecting/camp_profiles.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/selecting/camp_profiles.html)</p>

<p>and read the numbers wrong apparently. my bad :stuck_out_tongue:
(maybe i was influenced by the prevalence of smart asian people at my high school that got into UCI versus a bunch of people getting rejected from SB?)</p>

<p>so, yeah, irvine would be a no. </p>

<p>going to SB, go gauchos!</p>

<p>I’ve visited a friend there a few times, and I’m always impressed with Goleta and iv. It definitely has that “college town” feel that a lot of the UC’s lack. I think you’ll like it.</p>

<p>yep. sister goes up there and i’ve visited. sweet place.</p>