Chance my son (Rising Senior) to CalTech/Stanford/UCs/Cal Poly SLO [CS or ME] [attending UCB as EECS major]

Update: W&L asked if DS wants to take an Alumni Interview(optional). He has time till 1/31/23 but I asked him to complete sooner than later.

2 Likes

Got admission email from Maimi of Ohio into CS and Business Entrepreneurship with good merit (34000). Heā€™s also selected for Honors college.

He will know by mid-Jan if shortlisted for President Fellow scholarship program.

10 Likes

Was able to send Honors app to University of Arizona yesterday which is last day (he already got admission to CS).

3 Likes

Rejected from Stanford.

Sounds like he has many great options so far!

4 Likes

Most fully qualified candidates are. Donā€™t take it as a signal that there was anything wrong with his achievements.

8 Likes

He made a good run at it. Regroup and press on.

4 Likes

He was totally fine with it. He said I may attend UCs or Cal Poly SLO.

He will not be applying to CalTech.

3 Likes

Donā€™t get attached to any school that hasnā€™t said yes yet. After he has all of his acceptances, thatā€™s the time to sharpen the pencil and weigh the pros and cons. They all have pros or they wouldnā€™t have gotten apps. Itā€™s then a matter of making nuanced distinctions.

Iā€™ve lost it in the thread. Did he apply for CS or ME at Cal Poly?

4 Likes

Applied ME and then changed to CS.

Kid got email that he was admitted into Honors college at Miami of Ohio.

Need to send FAFSA/CSS for W&L.

7 Likes

Update: Sent CSS/FAFSA/W2/Tax forms to W & L. Kid has to send 2 recommendation letters and mid-year Grade report.

FAFSA was also sent to Miami of Ohio (looks like I missed it).

He sent his dates for W & L Alumni interview.

1 Like

Got invitation to apply for honors college at Cal Poly Pomona.

10 Likes

Kid sent recommendation letter to UC Berkeley and is a semi-finalist for Miami of Ohio Presidential Fellows program. He sent his acceptance to be considered for Final interviews (Feb 19-20).

Good thing is he will be 18 by that time and can travel for this interview by himself.

5 Likes

He can travel alone now. My son flew internationally to a race camp, fully loaded with a burrito of skis when he was 15.

That said, if you can afford it, college trips are fun!

4 Likes

Appreciate how faithful you are with updates. Wishing your son luck at the weekend in Miami! (Though he might wish it was a different Miami in February. :wink:)

2 Likes

We got the LOR request from Cal, too. Good luck to both our kids!

Often the problem is finding a hotel that will allow an unaccompanied minor to stay in a room.

2 Likes

Also most hotels donā€™t allow an 18-year-old to check in, although there are some exceptions.

1 Like

Miami of Ohio said they will cover Transport and accommodation expenses if he has to travel for the finals.

I donā€™t know if they provide a dorm or we need to book a hotel. Also, kid is driving for past one year, but I am not comfortable for him to rent a car and drive from Cincinnati/Dayton to Oxford campus. He may Uber/Taxi to the location.