Chance my son (Rising Senior) to CalTech/Stanford/UCs/Cal Poly SLO [CS or ME] [attending UCB as EECS major]

Congrats. They do have a good business school with concentrations in entrepreneurship and finance. Is he wanting to study STEM + Business?

In engineering they are ranked under the list (doctorates are not offered) like Rose-Hulman.

Anyway these things are for april, when he needs to decide.

He applied and got in for CS & has to apply for Entrepreneurship later. But, he’s more interested in Political science and may choose to double major in: CS & Political Science

1 Like

It’s been over 10 years, but I think I called the first hotel and explained that he’d be traveling alone. Then the next day he was at an organized camp.

Definitely consider your child’s age when trying to figure this out. Flying at 18 no problem. Renting a car at 18, not allowed by most/all companies. Checking in to a hotel by yourself at 18, not allowed by most national hotel chains.

2 Likes

Kid was invited to apply for UCLA Alumni Scholarship and opted for a Zoom call for W&L interview.

6 Likes

FYI, the UCLA Alumni Scholarship is sent to all applicants for UCLA every year.

1 Like

Not all UCLA applicants will get the Alumni Scholarship email but any applicant can apply if they meet the criteria. I have already seen a couple of CC posters whom have not gotten the email and already had a PM sent to me regarding why they did not receive the invite email. The number of invites have increased over the last few years, but not all applicants are sent the email.

6 Likes

Interesting. Just surveying our districts 4 high schools in CA, our high school counselors were informed that it was sent to everyone and my twins high school counselor surveyed all the 250 students she oversees and of the 167 (her head count) who applied to UCLA this year, everyone said they got the email. There are 4 more counselors at our high school whom the headcount/survey remains to be seen as of Friday.

Maybe it’s going to ELC applicants, at least in-state?

1 Like

@islandmama1
That is a possibility but I did get a PM from an in-state ELC eligible applicant whom did not get the email.

I really think it makes no difference since if you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply with or without getting the email.

2 Likes

curiouser and curiouser

This year could be different, but in past years, clearly not everyone received the alumni scholarship email on the CC threads. At least in the years my kids went through the UCLA admission process.

Also, there used to be some correlation to receiving the alumni scholarship email and an acceptance, but that doesn’t appear to be the case any longer.

If you can find old posts from @10s4life in the UCLA forum, a former UCLA student and alumni scholarship reader, then you can read more details about it.

3 Likes

My son was not selected as a finalist for Miami of Ohio Presidential Fellows scholarship but was asked to participate in Scholars Showcase.

1 Like

His W&L Alumni interview is done and went well(as per DS).

9 Likes

Son got admission to Cal Poly Pomona in Computer Science. He got acceptance email last night and he was also asked to apply for Honors.

12 Likes

Great! Is that his first in-state acceptance? How does it rank in respect to his other acceptances?

Yes, this is his first in-state acceptance. He got admitted so far to Pitt (No Merit), Miami of Ohio (34000 Merit), Missouri S&T (13000), University of Arizona (34000), Oregon Tech.

He’s more interested in AZ (he wants to stay close to home). His first option would be UCB or Cal Poly SLO (If he gets admitted to either one).

He will not be attending Missouri S&T and maybe Miami of Ohio is also out at this point (was not selected for Presidential Scholarship finals).

4 Likes

I’m missing something here. If he wants to stay close to home did you mean to say he’s less interested in AZ?

I meant to say he likes AZ as OOS option but if gets into UCB or Cal Poly SLO, he will remain in-state. I asked him to wait to see all the results and then do campus tour on his top choices before making a decision.

4 Likes

Good plan. We are planning whirlwind tours in early April, too…

2 Likes