Chances and suggestions

<p>Hello all!
SUNY Geneseo was a recent find for me... I applied ED to my first choice and was accepted but didnt recieve enough financial aid to attend. I have already sent in my app to SUNY and I was curious as to my chances. I saw the Geneseo's stats, which show 99% of students are instate. I'm a female from Maryland. How much do you think this will hurt my chances?
Well anyway here are my stats:
Towson High School, Towson, MD. (Michael Phelps went here)
GPA/Rank : unweighted 3.57, weighted 4.786/ 62 of 369
SAT’s : 730M/660CR/710W
Academic Courses :
(2008-2009): A.P. English Literature, A.P. Calculus BC, A.P. Statistics, A.P. Psychology, A.P. Economics (Macro and Micro),
(2007-2008): A.P. U.S. History(3), A.P. English Language(4), A.P. Calculus AB(5)
(2006-2007): A.P. World History(3), </p>

<p>Special:
Journalism (2006-present), Copy-Editor for Talisman (2007-present)
Academic Honors :
AP Scholar (2008-present)
National Honor Society (2007-present)
National Art Honor Society (2005-2007)
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
Class Vice President (2008-present); Future Business Leaders of America (2008-present); Youth and Government, Mock State Congress delegate (2007- present); Varsity Badminton (2007-present); Class Steering Committee (2006- present); Junior Classical League (2005-present), Executive Board (2007-present); Chairman for NAHS sales website (2005-2007); Latin Tutor (2005-2007); Junior Varsity Basketball (2005-2007) </p>

<p>VOLUNTEER WORK:
Education Channel, High School Sports Scene anchor (2008-present)
Congressman Sarbanes Campaign (2008)
Mexico Work Camp, Pre-school teacher, taught in Spanish, (Summer 2008)
Youth Girls Basketball Coach (2005-present)
Baltimore County Christian Work Camp (Summer 2007)
All-Star Basketball Camp Counselor (Summers 2005-2006)
All-Star Lacrosse Camp Counselor (Summer 2005)</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I think you have a very good chance. I actually think being oos might be a plus this year with NY having budget problems. You would be paying the oos tuition. Impressive stats and I am Mom with an instate son that applied!</p>

<p>Thanks for the perspective LongeyeMom. Just out of curiosity did you an your son visit SUNY? If so, what did you think of the students you met?</p>

<p>hold on a second..if you applied early decesion to another school and got accepted..you are legally binded to attend that school...</p>

<p>bran10, you are correct for the most part. If you apply ED and get accepted you are "honorably" binded to that school; however, the ED agreement states that you are not required to attend if you can't afford its tuition.
I applied to Lehigh University (PA) which is about $50,000/year and recieved $700 a semester. My family cannot afford a $48,500/year school hence the reason I applied to SUNY Geneseo.</p>

<p>Did you look at any state schools in Maryland? How about Towson University?</p>

<p>"I applied to Lehigh University (PA) which is about $50,000/year and recieved $700 a semester. My family cannot afford a $48,500/year school hence the reason I applied to SUNY Geneseo."</p>

<p>Are you sure about being legally able to back out of this ED acceptance? If you were only offered $700/semester from Lehigh, than it would seem that your EFC was rather high. Doesn't this mean that your income is relatively high? It seems as though based on Lehigh's financial aid package (the small offer of $700/yr.), your family's income based on the college's formula is high enough to pay for their school. Have you informed Lehigh? Were they OK with allowing you to back out of the ED acceptance? Something just doesn't sound right.</p>

<p>From the Lehigh site: "Our program is a binding early decision plan, meaning that the student is expected to withdraw all applications to other schools if accepted to Lehigh. The student, his or her parents/guardians, and guidance counselor must sign an Early Decision Request form to confirm their understanding of this provision. Students applying Early should be sure that Lehigh is their first choice school."</p>

<p>also from the Lehigh website:</p>

<p>" Lehigh expects each family to make every effort to pay tuition and other educational expenses. Our aid program is designed to measure the difference between our costs and the amount of money your family can be expected to contribute towards those costs. That difference is called "financial need" and represents financial aid "eligibility." The majority of Lehigh's funds are awarded on the basis of financial need."</p>

<p>Doesn't this mean that they calculated a need of only $700/semester for your family to come up with the tuition based on the numbers provided by your family on the financial aid forms? How are they going to allow you to back out of a signed ED binding agreement with only a $700/semester need?</p>

<p>dunny-- thanks for the Towson U suggestion. Its right across the street from my HS so its a little too close. I applied to UMD College Park as a safety. I also applied to St. Mary's of MD. In all honesty, I would like to venture out of state.</p>

<p>nysmile- you seem to be taking this Lehigh thing a little personally. If my family could afford Lehigh, which it cannot to the best of my knowledge, I would be definitely be going this coming fall. I have not formally declined my acceptance because I have yet to be contacted about Merit Aid. Perhaps you are correct and my family does have a higher level of income than I am aware. In this case it all depends on how much money my parents are willing to put forth to my college education; however, I dont see this as a topic worth arguing.</p>

<p><a href="http://www3.lehigh.edu/pdf/admissions/LU_admissions_app_07_4a.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www3.lehigh.edu/pdf/admissions/LU_admissions_app_07_4a.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>You need to contact your accepted ED school ASAP and find out the details. Being able to "get out" of an ED acceptance (to which you and your parents signed--it's a legal document), is not as easy as you assume. Yes, not being able to financially afford the school is one way. Having your parents be unwilling to spend the bottom line price of the school is not the same as not being able to afford the school. </p>

<p>Until your ED school officially let's you out of the agreement (which isn't likely), all other applications are null and void. </p>

<p>ps--I don't have any ties at all to Lehigh. No matter the school, it's about the ED acceptance and binding contract. You and your parents need to call your ED school and find out about what the story is regarding breaking your contract with them. This needs to be done before you can accept any other offers. I would hate for you or any ED accepted kid to assume that it is easy to break the agreement between your accepted ED school and the student and parents.</p>

<p>Thank you for the advice. We contacted Lehigh admissions about the situation weeks ago.</p>

<p>You can back out of the ED agreement, from what I'm told. However, then the college will alert other colleges of your contract breach and the others will tend to blackball you. I think it's their way of keeping ED contracts well-respected. This is what my counselor says anyway.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if it's for financial reasons, then I'm pretty sure it's allowed with no "penalty."</p>

<p>Also, I believe that just because your EFC is high and colleges don't give you much need-based aid doesn't mean you have the money for college. E.g. My family's est. contribution is 60k. So you think, alright, well that means they have a high income---yes, but we're also supporting two other households abroad, my parents will not start a college fund for me, and we have tons of medical bills to pay off. Subsequently, we have very little money for college. Life sucks.</p>

<p>Or, if your family owns a business, all those assets get pushed into financial aid calculations so while it seems as though you own a business worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, that is the business and you can't expect your parents to sell it off, leaving them with little to no income, just so you can go to college.</p>

<p>Basically, there are a multitude of situations that financial aid does not take into account/calculations are flawed in many individual cases. The two cases I've listed are two personal cases (one is me, one is a friend) and they're both incredibly frustrating.</p>

<p>But anyway, to the OP, good luck! I'm sorry for your situation, I wish you the best.</p>

<p>Thank you. I had never heard of the "blackball" effect of backing out of ED. I'm a little worried. </p>

<p>Anyone else.. chances?</p>

<p>When does Geneseo send out decision letters?</p>

<p>dcwagner- your in- all you basically need to get into geneseo is a 90+ with a 1300 with ap/honors courses... not in all cases, but in most cases if you have 1 1300 you will be accepted into the college, that's their main thing.</p>

<p>thanks MPM... I hope youre right. This is my most affordable college option if I want to get OOS.</p>

<p>I just got my acceptance letter! Thanks everyone for posting on this thread!</p>

<p>I was accepted with a 3.6 GPA and a 1330 SAT in-state</p>

<p>haha congratulations!?</p>

<p>i agree with MPM, you should definitely get in no problem. I got in to Geneseo OOS (for transfer) with similar stats. I also applied to SMCM & am waiting to hear back...any chance you could give me some perspective on its rep in MD? I'm from PA, & right now it's my #1 pick.</p>

<p>Regarding Lehigh, although it may seem like nysmile was coming on strong about it, the ED thing is kind of a big deal. But usually the "blackball" thing applies more to kids who apply ED to two schools and then drop one, <em>i think</em> (anyone else want to confirm/deny that, go ahead). If you search CC about getting out of ED, there are def threads arguing about this stuff. have you spoken to anyone recently about lehigh? what did they tell you before?</p>

<p>And I know what you mean about this whole EFC being way higher than you can actually afford. mine is way high too, but my parents said the most they can afford is 10, and the rest will be loans. going to a school that costs 40 or 50 grand/year, esp. with the economy, is not happening.</p>