Chances Brown ED 2024

It feels like a sneaky way for them to see what you look like.

1 Like

The new hack: blurring your face and telling them why.

1 Like

Ha! But that is no different than an interview right?

My D was on screen for a couple of seconds. Way out of her comfort zone, so she did mostly voiceover.

4 Likes

Makes me wonder if anyone admitted every submitted a video without appearing on screen at all.

I am sure, puppets must play a role in some videos that are submitted!

1 Like

This is a good enough reason to do it! There is no reason that she canā€™t be in the running. The odds arenā€™t great for any unhooked student, but they are better than if she doesnā€™t try at all.

2 Likes

I just hope the student takes the ACT once more.

Given 2/3 who submit that are enrolled or maybe it was accepted have a 35 - it seems the 34 ā€˜may beā€™ a hindrance.

I think one has to be cautious about assuming high submedian scores (what I think of as the 25-49th percentile range scores) are bad/unhelpful for admissions in a test optional system.

Obviously applicants are looking at scores well below the typical enrolled student range and opting out of submitting them. But that means the former bottom end of the score range is being eliminated from the data, and what used to be perceived as solid scores for admission are moving into the bottom range, because there necessarily has to be a bottom range. So 25ths move toward the old 50ths, and 50ths move to the old 75ths.

The thing is, all these students are still enrolled. And there is nothing inherently bad with having a score that is anywhere in the range of scores that enrolled students chose to admit. Indeed, that is generally going to be a helpful thing in a test optional world. I do think it becomes at least a question if your test score is below the 25th percentile, as that could start including a lot of ā€œhookedā€ applicants who are not representative of unhooked enrollees. But I think in the 25-49 range, in a test optional world, you are looking at a lot of unhooked people who benefited from submitting their test score.

Unfortunately, the schools do not give us what applicants would really want, which is a full matrix of GPA/test-score combinations, including non-submits, and admit rates by combination. So we canā€™t confirm that a 3.95UW/34 has recently had better admissions odds at schools like Brown than a 3.95UW who doesnā€™t submit. But I personally think it is quite likely that is true.

I suspect that a 34 will check the box and is fine.

3 Likes

Suffice to say, she is not retaking the ACT. If thatā€™s the reason she doesnā€™t get admitted, then it wasnā€™t meant to be. She is very happy with her safety schools. Thereā€™s no reason to go through all that stress again when she has the IB exams and IAs staring her in the face. Right she is focused on a school art trip to Loches, France.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s wonderful and that she has wonderful safety schools. And the 34 is in range - thatā€™s why I said maybe. Itā€™s interesting that Brown breaks it out this way on their website.

I think it was Brown that used to show acceptance rates by point - like a 36 had a 40% acceptance rate (Iā€™m making that up) or a 35 20% , etc. They seem more transparent in general than other schools.

I also like how they state that applying ED gets you an earlier answer but not necessarily a better chance. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s helpful to a lot of kids - assuming itā€™s true - who are concerned financially or have another school they love - so they can take a crack at both. ā€œPlease do not assume that your admission chances are improved by applying under the Early Decision plan. The Board of Admission makes the same decisions under Early Decision that it would under the Regular Decision plan.ā€

Per the CDS, 81% (54% SAT and 27% ACT) submit. I would assume but donā€™t know that itā€™s some of the hooked kids that donā€™t submit.

Hereā€™s hoping she makes it but so glad her mind is open to a great experience at other schools as well.

Brown Facts | Undergraduate Admission | Brown University

My son was admitted ED and will be attending this fall. I think your daughter should definitely apply, their stats are very similar. My son had a 34 ACT (he did take it more than once and had a 35 superscore- but Iā€™ve read that once you hit 34, thereā€™s not a ton of difference between a 34 and 35). She has the grades, and more importantly, the diverse set of interests that Brown admissions seems to like - including volunteer service. Also, being from TN will work in your favor, we are from KY. If she hasnā€™t already started on her Common App essay, Iā€™d encourage her to do that, along with reaching out to teachers for her letters of recommendation. That ED deadline sneaks up quickly. Definitely do the personal video. My kid spent a decent amount of time on it, just used iMovie but it was a good reflection of his interests and hobbies. Lots of kids post their videos on YouTube, so feel free to check out some examples of what other kids have done for ideas, too!

4 Likes

Right ā€“ the unhooked ED admit rate could be around, oh, 7-8%. I think it does still give you a bump over RD, but likely not as large of a bump as the overall ED rate suggests.

3 Likes

Is there any place to see or know how many students does Brown take per state or per school within that state?

1 Like

I canā€™t tell you how many they took or accepted but their factbook shows the amount enrolled by state.

Top 10

1. Rhode Island
  2. California
  3. NY
  4. Mass
  5. NJ
  6. Texas
  7. Florida
  8. Connect.
  9. Illinois
  10. PA

Enrollment Factbook | Office of Institutional Research | Brown University

1 Like

Thank you. I will check it out. I am specifically looking for Oregon.

Shows 62 students enrolled or .7% of total in Fall of 22.

All 50 states are represented in the link I sent.

1 Like