Chances of admission @ Texas A&M

Hello! I am a current junior and live in Illinois. I am interested in majoring in education at Texas A&M and am wondering my chances of getting admitted into this school.

My high school does not rank, but I would guess I am in the top 25% of my class. My UW GPA is 4.0 and weighted is 4.7. My SAT scores have consistently been between 1300-1380. Also, by the time senior year is over, I will have taken all required courses (4 years English, math, science and 2 years foreign language). Please share your opinions on my admissions chances. Thanks!

1. Intended major?
  2. Are your parents prepared to be full pay out of state? Probably around $45-50,000 per year?
  1. My intended major is early childhood education or middle grades education.
  2. Yes, they are prepared, however hoping for financial aid/scholarships.
  1. For early childhood education your chances of admission are probably good.
  2. You will likely get zero financial aid or scholarships as an out of state student. Zero. Other than the minimal student loan.

Every year there are students with much higher test scores than you who are also OOS and they are hopeful for the same. They read on the website that they just need to get $4,000 in school based scholarships and they will get in state tuition. That is granted to very very few. And every year TAMU strings those students along until at least late March as they dole out small scholarships bit by bit.

If they can do the full out of state tuition with zero loans and have saved appropriately then sure. But you should have no expectation of a scholarship or financial aid.

Thank you for the information! Also, do you know how the automatic admission works? I would be a possible academic admit (not 10% bc OOS), so if I’m in top 25%, have above the required test score for academic admit, and have all required courses, would I be admitted into the school for sure? Do you know how long a response of admission takes if automatically admitted?

Also, how come only 5% of the students are OOS? Are not many oos students applying? Or does TAMU not really accept oos? Or is it bc tuition is so high?

Any insight on this would be appreciated!

@dance02 If you are top quarter and have 1360 SAT with qualifying subscores for math and eng, then yes, you will be an academic admit. 620 Math and 660 Eng. And there are quite a bit of OOS but because state university, the majority will be in state AND yes OOS tuition is insane.

There is no point applying hoping for money. Even high stats kids don’t get money thrown at them. Don’t borrow money or pay $$$ for a teachers salary. Look at your own state, and especially look at any programs that help fund teachers that will stay in state. Ask your parents what your exact budget is. Your instate tuition costs are fairly high, right? You parents are indicating that they will not full pay for an OOS public . That is what you have called hope. Do you just want OOS? Can you push that test score higher?