Changing ethnicity to hispanic?

<p>As a sophomore i never filled any ethnicity bubbles on any standardized tests because i am white and like 10-15% spanish and was unsure of which to fill. Would it be ok to fill out the bubble hispanic when i take the SAT and when i apply to college? Most people recognize me as white because that is dominant in my appearance.</p>

<p>Do you need to prove URM status to your counselor or anything? And even though my hispanic blood falls through my father/great grandfather bloodline , my last name was altered when my great grandparents and parents moved to different countries so it has no real ethnic origin.</p>

<p>^ You have to be 25% Hispanic to be able to bubble the hispanic box</p>

<p>You can be 100% white and still be considered Hispanic. However, for College Board, I agree that you should be 25% Hispanic (one grandparent who is Hispanic.) That is the % College Board uses to be considered for the National Hispanic Recognition program.</p>

<p>^ is there any definite rule on this? I do not want to manipulate the system, but honestly, if it will help me get into a better university and there is no rules against it, why not?</p>

<p>^ The definite rule is that you have to be 25% hispanic, not Spain, but Central and South America</p>

<p>[National</a> Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)](<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>Scholarships and Recognition with PSAT/NMSQT - SAT Suite)</p>

<p>I would use the above criteria since this is from College Board and is probably a standard that most colleges would use. Scroll down to where they talk about who is considered Hispanic under the “Frequently asked Questions” heading.</p>

<p>The National Recognition program is based on PSAT scores in Junior year. The list of scholars is sent to participating schools senior year. Some schools will offer scholarships based on College Board’s recognition.</p>

<p>If you scroll down you will see that the above poster is wrong. Spain is included.</p>

<p>^ Well that is only for scholarships. And i am pursuing this topic consistently because one of my friends changed his application from white to African American because he was like 8% black and he got accepted early action to an ivy league. I am not saying he got accepted because he put black but im trying to show that in his case, he was 8% black and nothing seemed to of went wrong =/</p>

<p>^ You could report your friend, because you have to be 25% Black to be considered African American</p>

<p>You guys are so funny… right?</p>

<p>If Your serious, try this…</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/927219-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-8-a.html?highlight=race+college+admission[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/927219-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-8-a.html?highlight=race+college+admission&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>P.S. I’m told there is no race/ethnicity question on the SAT.</p>

<p>haha thanks</p>

<p>There’s more misinformation on that single thread than on all of CC. </p>

<p>I have moved this thread to the correct forum where hopefully the OP can get factual information. Please see the sticky thread about the definition of Hispanic for college admissions purposes.</p>

<p>FWIW, while some scholarships have % cutoffs, for college admissions purposes, ethnicity and race questions are answered the same way as they are for the census. Appearance and surname are not criteria for Hispanic status, Hispanics can be, and are, of any race(s).</p>

<p>Lol, ok thanks a bunch entomom ;D</p>

<p>You’re welcome, the general Admissions forum is a vipers pit for any questions about ethnicity or race. Here is a thread, that while it isn’t exactly your situation, discusses some of the factors within the Hispanic designation that are considered by adcoms:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>"There’s more misinformation on that single thread than on all of CC. "</p>

<p>Do you mean the Race FAQ? Even the first 10 or so posts by tokenadult ?</p>

<p>“I do not want to manipulate the system, but honestly, if it will help me get into a better university and there is no rules against it, why not?”</p>

<p>Well sure you want to manipulate the system, or else you would not be seeking to do so. You are just playing around with technicalities, and undermining it for those that actually have a right to it. Makes me sick to even think about it. Colleges are looking for people with character.</p>

<p>Shrinkrap, definitely not the information by tokenadult, sorry, but with 8 huge threads of drivel, it’s hard to even remember that the thread starts with actual factual information. My apologies to ta, that wasn’t my intention.</p>

<p>^ “have the right to seek it” What right do you have that i do not because i am only partially Hispanic?</p>

<p>As far as verification of Hispanic status, it is necessary for NHRP and perhaps other scholarship programs. So if you have not designated Hispanic on your school records in the past, then your parents should talk to your HS. </p>

<p>Note to all: Many Hispanic students have not been given good information, even by HS GCs, on how to designate their ethnicity and the difference between ethnicity and race categories. Also, many schools have only given a student 1 choice to designate their ethnicity and race, much like the CA did in the past. This method is inadequate in showing the complete ethnic and racial identity for some students. </p>

<p>Truthful designation is always stressed on this forum. Beyond that, each school can look at the entire application of a student and decide what qualities are important in their selection process.</p>

<p>The US Census considers you to be Hispanic if you say you are.</p>

<p>The US Dept. of Education considers you to be Hispanic if you say you are.</p>

<p>In both of those cases, forms are designed to let you mark Y/N for Hispanic Ethnicity and then any choice of a number of individual racial identities (or even multiple racial identities).</p>

<p>For every organization other than the CB, if you consider yourself to be Hispanic you are Hispanic. Just exactly how the CB is going to determine who is and who isn’t “Hispanic Enough”, is beyond me. There are plenty of pale and blonde Hispanic people out there with family names like O’Leary, and not all of them are from Argentina!</p>

<p>If you feel in your heart that you are Hispanic, check Yes. If you aren’t sure if you are or not, well then, you must not be. In that case, don’t check Yes.</p>

<p>^^^ Whoops that should read NHRP rather than CB in both sentences.</p>

<p>Sorry for the typos!</p>